Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Barrett's Esophagus and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Serpent, May 28, 2010.

1. I'm going to ask my doctor, but I don't trust him in the marijuana department, I feel like he would tell me to quit regardless of whether it was true or necessary.

I have Barrett's Esophagus, which isn't too serious with my lifestyle, I don't drink and I'm not addicted to anything. But I'm not sure about smoking or THC. I smoke about 1 gram a day out of a bong. Is a Vaporizer necessary? Would it help? Would smoking hurt or increase risk of cancer associated with Barrett's? Is food/tinctures/edibles/drinkables necessary? I love actually smoking the marijuana, or at least vaporizing it, and I like the high better. I'd like to know o what degree smoking is a danger for this diagnosis, because again, I love to smoke. If I can't smoke every day, how about a blunt/joint/bong 1-3 times a week?

I figured this forum section would know best.

2. These may help-

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer (news - 2000)
    Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Cancer

Marijuana Use and Risk of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (full - 2004)
    http://science.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/cancer/Rosenblatt 2004.pdf

Cannabis use and cancer of the head and neck: Case-control study (full -2008)
    Cannabis use and cancer of the head and neck: Case-control study

Marijuana Less Harmful to Lungs than Cigarettes (news - 1994)
    Marijuana Less Harmful to Lungs than Cigarettes

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer (news - 2000)
    Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Cancer

Anti-Tumor Effects (news - 2001?)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/AntiTumorEffects.htm

Smoking Cannabis Does Not Cause Cancer of Lung or Upper Airways
    (news - 2005)
    CCRMG

Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study (full - 2006)
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.full

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news - 2007)
    Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Now for the rest of the studies, click the MMJ link in my sig! :D Hon, you are in for a real education!

3. Barrett's Esophagus is very different though. Are there any studies with specifics on that? My esophagus is damaged, and all FAQs about my diagnosis I read say "If you smoke, quit, smoke inflames the esophagus and makes barrett's worse" or something like that. So really I want to know if a vaporizer would kill that risk, or if there is a study that says smoke truly is fine from marijuana with barrett's. OR if neither are fine, do I need to resort to oral THC administration. I appreciate the links, but I'm fairly educated in that area.

Also, did your second link contradict the others? I don't have the time or know-how to decipher all of the pdf, but that's what I got from it.

4. #4 Serpent, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
    I guess I shouldn't have made an assumption about my doctor. He's middle aged and middle eastern immigrant, so I assumed he'd tell me to lay off the pot. His response was amazing (not word-for-word, but close to):

"There is no medical reason to stop smoking marijuana with Barrett's Esophagus (which is result of acid reflux, I don't feel symptoms of acid reflux though). If anything, it will help, especially with your eating."

This was in response to me asking what I can and can't do. I asked him if I could drink alcohol, he said "no, only on some occasions with your buddies" but I basically could never become a frequent drinker or wine drinker or anything. Which is probably a good thing. I then told him I smoked every day, "can I still do that?" He said "absolutely not, somoking cigarettes..." I cut him off saying I didn't smoke cigarettes. He said still, cigars, absolutely n... I kind of shook my head a little, to which he said "ahh, Marijuana." Then he put the good news on the table. :)

I'm still going to get a vaporizer so the smoke doesn't bother my condition at all, but hopefully that will help and Grasscity folk's with Barrett's (probably very few), or someone who comes across this on a Google search. Apparently I am his youngest Barrett's diagnosis. Anyways, enjoy the burn.

EDIT - I'm in a state where it is illegal to smoke marijuana. Not that I do... ;) But interesting that a doctor would be so positive about marijuana here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. This is extremely satisfying news for me as I also have Barretts esophagus since i was 12 :) I'll light one up for you. :smoke::hello:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thank for this Information, I was really worried about that. I live in a state where it is legal for medical use.

7. Thanks for this.

8. Pretty random coming across this, thanks for the bump. Good info, although I was diagnosed ~5 years ago and havent slow down a bit in regards to smoking. A little extra piece of mind never hurts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1