Bamboo help

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by DDV, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I found a bamboo garden near my house while going for a morning bike ride, and I cut off a piece to use as a chillum. I've already drilled a hole for the bowl and the mouth piece, but I'm wondering how safe this is to smoke from. I held my lighter to the bowl and it lit on fire.. after I blew it out it was smoking a little bit. I would imagine inhaling bamboo smoke isn't safe.

Should I put it in the oven? I already put it in at 300f for 20 minutes but it didn't seem to do much. I don't have any special tools or anything.. any suggestions?

2. You should use a little bit of red clay or plaster to recover the bowl area, I did this with my smoking pipe because of a crack, and it works really cool.

3. Wait.. what do you mean? Just cover the bowl in clay?

Also, do you mean red clay soil? Because there's tons of that in my backyard

4. Yeah, just recover the bowl in clay, but no the soil clay, the one that's used to make pipes and mugs... Sometimes it's hard to correctly explain what you're thinking when you're talking in a foreign language XD

5. so what, did you do it? did it work?

6. I didn't. I just smoked it like that.. and it seems to be ok. The resin kind of covers the bowl so it doesn't burn

7. In some old natural wooden pipe making thing theres an oil that can be taken from a commen tree / plwnt dunno whqt one but when dried and heated it caremelizes and makes a perpect glaze look it up im VERY rusty on the details :)