Ballasts

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by inspired.one, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Just to get it right, i am to believe that for the grow , i would need both a hps and a mh light for the 2 different phases of the grow?
    If this is so, can i use the sameBallast for both lights?

2. IDK the answer and I just searched the forum with the word ballast and got no help...

I also noticed that there is no sticky specifically about ballasts and I know there is a ton of stuff about them that would be good to be centralized in one thread.

My question is whats the functional difference between a 120V and a 240V ballast... ive only ever used 120s and whats the benefit of a 240?

3. I think cause in your country yous use 120 volt , in my country we use 240 volt

4. you dont have to have both hps and mh.they recommend hps for flowering over mh ...but I find a mix of both good myself.
    You can grow entirely under either but in veg hps gives legger plants from what I read.I have not tried this myself.As for using one ballast for both,only if you buy a hps ballast and then yes a hps ballast will run a mh if you take out the igniter circuit,Google it and you can find a how to for that.I did this but having two mh and two hps have never used it but its nice to think I can if I decide too.

5. just for other peoples info , i have stumbled upon a digital ballast, this baby can support both hps and mh, will cost a bit more but i say spare no expense when you want it done properly:hello:

6. Most ballasts support HPS and MH bulbs

Just go on ebay mate, ballasts are generally durable and long lasting so picking up a used one is not a problem and you can get them for dirt cheap. I've noticed there are loads of 600w ballasts for sale, so they are particularly cheap, even cheaper than 400w ones!