Ballast Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by slickpb, May 15, 2002.

  1. I'm considering buying an American Pride 250 watt Metal Halide ballast. Does anybody have this ballast? I have a couple questions. 1.) Is it noisy? 2.) What exactly comes with the ballast? Does a socket come with it so I could just screw on a 250 watt Metal Halide bulb and turn it on? 3.) I want to get a reflector. I'm thinking of the Growers Pride Reflector. It comes with a mogul socket and there's the option of a cord to the ballast. Do I need to buy the reflector with the cord to the ballast? Or does the ballast itself have a cord to the reflector? I'm basically confused as to what comes with a ballast. 4.) Does anybody know of any cheaper ballasts that work well. The American Pride is USD 98.50. I did see an F-Can Type Metal Halide ballast for USD 60. I have the same questions about this ballast ( what exactly comes with it ). 5.) What is the best Metal Halide bulb to get? Also, what is the best conversion bulb? Eventually I plan to buy a conversion bulb for flowering. I'm new to indoor lighting and I'd appreciate answers to any of these questions. Thanks for your help.
  2. Most 250w ballasts are not very loud..As far as the ballast,and what comes with it ,,that depends on where you get it you have a link? I'll look at it...

    this place has very inexpensive lights,and has a good reputation here in the city....take look...can't hurt...

  3. Thanks a lot for that link!
  4. You'll do good with a light from Inside Sun. If you have any questions about them or the lights feel free to PM me.
  5. would i need to buy anything to keep the heat down if i was running a 250 hps in a 5' x 3' x 2' space? if so, what would i need to buy?
  6. It depends. You should have a fan on your plants anyway. I have one that blows between the lights and the plants to get the lights down lower. If you're in a situation where you can leave the door open while the lights are on then you won't really need more than a small fan. But if you're in a situation where it has to be closed up then you'll need to ventilate and exhaust it someway.


  7. You will need to get an exhaust fan at least 110 cfm that will be able to evacuate the area of heat and stale air,mounted at a highpoint of the area that can be made lightproof,,high output PCfans,microwave blower/fans,bath fans(though I find them noisy),small squirrel fans,,etc..will will also need to have a good intake vent that is also lightproof...


Share This Page