Ballast Help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SoMeGuY1337, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Ok, so I have these items and I am looking on some advice on what ballast would be the most appropriate for me. Cheaper = better btw.

my light 400w, mogul base

reflector

So I need a ballast to meet these specifications. Also, will I need to purchase a wiring kit to complete this hookup? I have the socket with the wires coming out of it but no real way to hook it up.

2. I was thinking about purchasing this...

ballast

and then I was going to take an extensions cord and separate it and run the female end into the ballast from the socket by matching up the cords.

3. i was going to say the same thing. for the money you spend putting it together you could get a nice pre-built with an air cooled hood.

4. That 400w rig from HTG was my first setup. It's a great value!

5. #6 SoMeGuY1337, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
    I have already bought the materials and now I am just trying to make it work. Yea, I realize now that I would have been able to save money by going another route but I don't have that option now.

6. if you already have everything else just get a 400w ballast.
    that sunlight you showed is a good one, but shop around a bit.

7. Get a ballast, but from what I've seen it looks like you also need a mogul socket. HTGSupply is still a good place to check, not just for kits but individual parts as well.

The lowest priced ballasts will be magnetic and won't be switchable MH/HPS. You still can use MH off a regular HPS ballast if you get a MH conversion bulb. Magnetic ballast will hum audibly and won't be as energy efficient as a digital ballast.

Also be sure to get a ballast and mogul socket that are not built together in one, you want them separated by a connector cord so that you can put the ballast outside the grow space (the ballast will get warm, and you don't need to be adding even more heat to your grow op).

8. Alright man that sounds awesome.

I have ordered a mogul socket connecting kit that will mount for the specific reflector that I have purchased. Did you take a look at the ballast I suggested? I know it is magnetic, but for my price range a hum will not be a problem.

Do I need anything else for this setup?

and do you guys do rep here?