Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bad Experience Smoking, Anyone Else Had This?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by postacidxox, Apr 23, 2014.

1. I went to Amsterdam recently with a friend and visited a couple of coffeeshops (when in rome..) i've only smoked weed once before prior to this, a couple of years ago but never felt anything from it..
    So we went to a coffeeshop one morning i'd read about to be good, and explained to the guy we weren't experienced and he recommended a pre rolled joint, think it was called g13 haze? anyway, we  smoked it between us and were drinking sugary drinks, didn't feel any effects from it tbh.

So later on, at night, several hours later we decided to try another place and got another pre rolled joint which they recommended and said was mild.. and after about 3 tokes on this i suddenly felt like the front of my head was buzzing and felt fuzzy like i was getting really light headed, so i drank loads of coke which didn't help, i noticed my heart rate had also gone up like crazy and was beating incredibly fast, i didn't feel sick, but just felt terrified of what was happening, i told my friend i felt weird and they said i was probably just high but i was feeling really panicky and shaky, when she was speaking to me, it felt like i wasn't really there and this was all a dream almost out of body sorta.. i kept telling myself i'd wake up, but it was actually real life and the feeling was TERRIFYING, i was holding a can of coke and even though it was empty, the drop of coke inside it felt incredibly heavy and i felt like everyone was staring at me. I remember i kept asking her when i'd feel normal again and saying nothing felt real. We went straight back to the hotel and i tried to sleep it off, but this feeling stayed for a good 3-4 hours and it was the most terrifying experience of my life, no joke. I wanted to have a good experience the first time but this was so horrible its really putting me off trying it again even though i want to..

Has anyone else had a similar experience?? thanks!

2. #2 sky dog, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    Panic attack

It's happened to me, I've seen it happen to others

It's usually just weed that's "too" strong, an inexperienced or unprepared user, or just the result of a bad environment that's freaking someone out

In college, for example, I had a neighbor whose room we always smoked/chilled in. We set up a gravity bong, and we were such heavy users that we would pop off a couple of bingers before walking straight to class and it wasn't a big deal. But one of our friends - a big football player who we never saw smoke before - took a rip out of it one day and he was getting dizzy, had a rapid heartbeat, and felt nauseous. We just told him to lie down and relax, and like you said, it goes away around when the effects of the marijuana would normally taper off.

3. this prerolled joint you had in the second shop, did it have tobacco in it by any chance? sounds like a nicotine head rush too me. 
    but its sound like it lasted a while so my guess i that you got pretty high, and werent ready for such new and outlandish experience so you had a bit of a panic attack which the weed made worse , causing you to panic more ,which was again intensified by the weed and then began the viscous cycle of anxiety. 

4. Yeah it had tobacco in but as a cigarette smoker I could tell there was a lot less in it  than the first one, but as i said I only had about 3 hits before i went weird.. yeah i guess it does sound like a panic attack, was just so intense and never felt anything like it!

5. @[member="sky dog"] i think it was just too strong, but just such a weird and terrifying experience just didn't see it coming at all and then all of a sudden my heart felt like it was going to explode!  :eek:  next time i'll make sure i get some that isn't as strong and hopefully i can enjoy it…

6. They don't allow you to smoke tobacco in coffee shops as far as I know.. When I was there they had no cigarette signs in the coffee shops and one guy told me I couldn't roll tobacco with mah j

"This ones called mindrape, it's actually pretty mellow"

7. Trust me brotha, it wasnt the weed. Well it must have been strong, But it sounds like you just werent comfortable with the effects. It might have been better if you would have takin a hit and then waited to see how you would feel.

8. I had a really bad experience today. Now, I'm not a new smoker by any means, I smoke everyday. And me and my friend went to one of my dealers house, and he had us come inside to smoke a huge bong with him. And I'm not a bong guy, so That was the biggest bong I had ever smoked out of. But I took a HUGE hit. and right away I didn't feel right, felt uneasy. I guess I was cuz I was in someone's house I had never been in before. But when we left it got worse, felt like I was Guna throw up, dizzy, and kinda scared in a way. It was a very weird and not fun AT ALL! Maybe it was a anxiety attack, I have anxiety and it's been getting bad lately. But I'm not sure what it was, makes me feel like a bitch tho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Be in a good environment, good mindset, and take it easy. Also just "let go" and know that you'll be fine and feeling "normal" in a few hours. 

10. really? even prerolled spliffs that they sell you? seems strange ,thought that some shops might allow it

11. There are so many different variables ya never know what you're gonna feel like. I'm so tolerant anymore - cause I'm too much of a fucked up idiot to take a T break for more than a couple days - that I don't usually have anything bad occur with even the crazy potent shit. But I've had a couple mild panic attacks (I guess???) before. They were always at night when I smoked a ton b4 bed. I felt anxious laying down, like I was gonna suffocate or some shit. So I just got up and did something else for a while. If I got that more than just very infrequently I certainly wouldn't be smoking anymore. [no less either, har, har, har]

12. #13 ganjagirl87, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    I've been smoking for years and I still have an extremely low tolerance...I am very prone to the exact feeling op talked about if I overdo it. My advice? Take one puff, see how it makes you feel after about five or ten minutes (give it time) if you feel okay, take another small one...you gotta find out what makes you feel good and stick with that for a while and eventually you'll be able to smoke more and more.

Fuck peer pressure, FUCK 'just one more - smoke until you feel good and then quit. I always tell people up front that I'm sure they'd rather me cop out early on the j than have me have a full on panic attack from smoking too much and they tend to agree. Know your limits and don't let people make you feel stupid about it. The point of smoking with friends is to have a good time, not to try and impress them and end up ruining the evening for yourself, even unintentionally.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Next time go slower and don't fight it, just let the effects wash over you and relax, don't over-think things either just be zen. Getting really high as a newbie can be terrifying, first time i tried smoking i thought there was spice in it because my heart was beating so fast. Weed is an entire different element than alcohol (this is assuming you've at least drank before) I had to get used to the effects before i found myself able to thoroughly enjoy the high that weed gives.

And if anything, just take your time and don't try to keep up with your friends while smoking, they won't make fun of you. The closest i've had to coming to a panic attack was one time on unmentionables my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest and i seriously thought i was going to die that night, but i waited it out and i was fine, sometimes the drugs won't let you think rationally either so just remain calm and try weed again broski  :cool: .