Backpacking!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Tokejurglery, May 1, 2012.

1. Anyone else a fan of backpacking? IMO the best way to experience the outdoors :) just add some dank and it's even better :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yep ive done a ton of it. 30 days out one time in the south utah desert. it was nice.

3. Goin to the Porcupine mountains in two weeks, can't wait.

4. NW pride, huh? Where do you live? ;)

Sound like one of my friends :p

I did a backpacking trip down to Dark Canyon once, that was really fun :D

5. What's the type of gear you guys own? I had very basic beginner camping stuff, and as I got into that, I've been getting into backpacking.

Still got a basic backpack, but wanting to buy a few things that will work great now, and be useful for future endeavors (AT? lol).

do you guys do 3+day long treks? What are your basic supplies?

As of yet, I plan on getting a pop-up tent (amazon 45$), ecws sleeping bag, trangia alcohol stove - already have small stainless mess kit, hobo utility knife(+fork/spoon). I imagine only other necessities are bags to contain, and clothes, plus food.

What do you do for food for 3+ days?

How do you store your bud? I've contemplated trying to make canna-oil to cook with, gotta lil "pocketbong" to camp with lol. Hoping to set myself up before I take a good trip.

6. my gear...

dueter custom 90+10 liter pack
    tent is an REI half dome (dont get a fuckin 45 dollar pop up tent, get a real tent dude)
    stove MSR whisperlite international
    GSI cook gear
    Mountain Hardware 0degree lumina synthetic bag, and a lightwight northface 40 degree summer bag for real warm trips)
    thermarest

clothing i rock pataguchi base layers or REI baselayers, your favorite woll socks, and boots that fit you/broken in.

for raingear i use mountain hardware conduit fabric shells

for cold weather i use mountain hardware synthetic puff layers (pants and jacket)

i also always carry a waterproof groundpad to go between my tent floor and my thermarest.

i usally take an MSR hydromedary and 2 nalgenes for water, and i use aquamira for my purification.

i take a msr bug net if mosquitos are bad.

HAND SANATIZER
    a trowel (plastic) (for digging catholes)

slapbassist, im all for people backpacking, but dont be a douchebag newb and leave behind toilet paper.... dont even take toliet paper unless ur planning to pack it out.

PACK OUT EVERY LITTLE SCRAP OF GARBAGE NO MATTER WHAT.

i also carry bear spray (im in the west)

and you can store your bud anyway u want... i have no faith in anyone who cant figure out how to store weed in a backpack.... i hope this helps you not to be a typical douchebag newb backpacker... good luck, ur gonna need it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. oh and i line my pack with a large garbage bag for waterproofing, and then use compression sacks to sort my small items. clothing gets packed into the small spaces left over.

tent goes in the bottom, sleeping bag above that, food and heavy items sit above that on the side closest to my back at mid level, clothing etc packed into the sides to fill space as needed.

always pack your food ABOVE your fuel, so if ur fuel leaks it doesnt ruin your food. try to avoid strapping things to the outside of the pack.

8. #8 Slapbassist531, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012

lol got a few chuckles from your post. Any reason why you prefer no stuff outside pack? I figured with mine, I'd be strapping tent/sleeping pad to backpack if nothing else. I don't recall making a mention of TP, but generally speaking, I would either put it where the dookie-hole is, or I'd burn it (if I can make a fire. What's the non-douche-etiquette there? Same as AT, in that preferably none, but if done, small, with already-fallen-wood?)

Money is.... something that comes slowly. When I get a real tent, I plan on getting a tarptent (bout 200$ though, contrail is the one I plan on, with the beak so gear can be kept, without getting wet, without being in sleep space). Figured to myself, it'd be worthwhile getting a 50$ pop-up. you think it'd be more worthwhile to wait a few paychecks and just go ahead and get the more expensive?

I have become semi-fancy (right wording? lol "i fancy that") of the ECWS military 3-layer sleeping bag. My brothers were in the marines, asked one about it - he didn't care to go into it much, but he said he could pack his down to a pretty reasonable size - and it sounded like even though all 3 layers could be present, you can lay ontop of the thickest, and sleep within the 30-50/goretext shell (essentially having all 3 layers present in the bag, while not having to disassemble to go from -10 to 30-50, to just goretex if wanted - thats the impression I got anyhow).

Is groundpad, for sake of keeping therma-pad clean?? I got the walmart 1'' pad which works quite well (basic camping atleast). I've wondered the whole thought of using a tarp, versus the 3M? thick plastic sheets, and doing using them as groundpads inside/outside the tent.

Hope you can finger through all those words to answer my questions. I don't know what etiquette is for proper backpacking, but I'm a big fan of having a small campfire at night if possible. I always figured if it were okay, then I'd burn any extra scraps I'd made mess of. I'm all for camping, but it pisses me off when someone leaves a mess behind making it harder for future individuals. I'm also fond of baby-wipes. Awesome for dry baths, and wiping after dookie. lol. appreciate your answers broski

EDIT: How necessary you think skillets are for cooking? One of my pet-peeves with the GSI, is the lack of a good skillet. It's like 3.5'' diameter. They seem to just be pots.... I have the stainless mess kit (you can buy at dicks - bout the same as the aluminum, except handle clicks over, rather than held in place by bolt). Pot to boil water in that is probably .5-1L though. Seems most food cooked on the trail is just hot water though....

For clothing, I only have one awesome pair of thermals in terms of coldbottoms. Figured I'd get another for top, with other basic (i've heard NO cotton) clothes, using a basic layer system. main difference between cool/cold temperature being thermals as base, versus briefs/nada. I know colombia/NF have good 3-layer-jackets, but I want to try another efficient way before going for the 200$+ way if possible lol. Plus, I'm a fan of camo, and if possible, I want most my stuff to be camo (no redneck)

Also figured worth asking bout bud. For small amounts, the average cup mason. Or some other solid container so it wont get squashed. I do wonder though, what of long treks? It's still in lofty-thought-phase, but if the ability to conquer the AT arose, if possible, i'd like to bring some QP for the 4+month journey. you think it'd be worthwhile to do? Jar, or definitely bag on that one? lol. lofty thought, i know...

9. Ok, they are expesive, but its called a FRYBAKE and its a very nice aluminum fry pan, ive used them alot u there is alot of backcountry cooking u can do with them like baking cake and pizza dough, breads etc, by depressurizing ur stove then building a tiny twig fire on the lid. a skillet is nice for sure, but not needed for shorter trips. i like them for longer group trips cuz u can cook pancakes, pizza, etc. they are like 100 bucks though for the real thing. next best is a small 8 inch aluminum skillet. cooking in the backcountry is as easy or as hard and gormet as u make it. i prefer to prepackage all my meals, dehydrate what i can, and then get gormet on the trail. i studied wilderness expedtition planning, so it all comes with expereience. do what works for you. there is an AWESOME book called NOLS Books - NOLS

all those books are very legit, if u can drop a few bucks on the cookery (15 dollars) it will be worth its wieght in gold as far as food planning and prep in the backcountry. the other book from that list that is really good is soft paths. it is all about Leave No Trace wilderness travel. Go to the leave no trace website and study up. this is the STANDARD for wilderness ethics.

I want to stress over and over that it is NOT OK to leave TP in a cathole, or burn it. if ur gonna use TP PACK IT OUT 100 percent (u can get a smellproof bag for this). I myself prefer to wipe with natural materials. to some people it sounds insane but it isnt bad at all. I prefer large soft leaves, soft needed pine broughs, round river rocks, snow, mosses, etc. They do the job, honestly, and they are ok to bury into a cathole.

Home | Leave No Trace for more info on wilderness ethics.

as far as fires go, here are some guidelines to follow.

Only use established fire pits. Only collect wood that is "dead and down" and smaller then ur wrist in diameter. If there is no estabilshed fire pit, have ur fire in a place where the ashes will get swept away by a seasonal creek. Ther other really slick option in areas like high alpine, desert, or any other fragile enviroment where firepits will scar the terrain is to lay out ur ground cloth, over it with 8-10 inches of dirt, then build your fire ontop of that. afterwords, spread the ash into an area where it will get washed away or spread it out so much you cant notice it.

These things are not so much for the envirmoent as they are for the people who come next. much of my backpacking is done off trail navigating with map and compass into remote areas, and i want to know the next crazy mother fucker who ends up where i have been has no idea i was ever there, and therefore they get to experience the wildness of the place the same way i did. its really important to me.

for tents, i have used floorless tents before but i do not prefer them. I like a fully enclosed tent becuz of the insect sanctuary it provides. I like the REI halfdome becuz i can pitch it with just the rainfly for an ultralite tarp like structure, or i can use the tent part as well for buggy areas and not worry about spiders and shit biting me in my sleep. I would say get your best off with a real tent, esp when u get into a big wind/rainstorm.

always place your tent in area where rainwater wont flow under you. small knolls with ground that will abosrb moisture away from any dangerous trees (wind fall is a serious concern) will be ur best tent site. If you dont mind bugs, then a tarp shelter isnt a bad way to go.

Im not familiar with the miltary bags, but I do know when i use my bivy sack (gortex, breathable shell that goes over my bag) that you will encounter condensation inside the bag over time, esp in colder climates. i use my bivy sack for when i need something lighter then my tent or i know i want to sleep under the stars. i also use it snow camping.

The groundcloth servs a few purposes. mostly, its an added moisture barrier between u and wet ground. it also helps prevent sharp objects from puncturing my thermarest. if you use a foam pad like a z-pad thermarest, a ground cloth is less needed. it also serves as a fire pit, as i mentioned, and in an emergency can be used in wilderness first aid to make a sling, part of a rig to carry someone out who cant walk, as well as something to sit on in camp if the ground is very wet while cooking. for my groundcloth I use a peice of coated nylon, but a light plastic tarp will work well to.

clothing. first of all, in a sepeate dry area in your pack ALWAYS have a second set. my emergency clothing is 1 pair of thick wool socks, 1 pair of long underwhere (meduim or expedition wieght depending on the season, top and bottom), a fleece top, and a dry hat. this stuff does NOT leave its drybag unless an emergency situation arises. i DO NOT use this stuff if im simply WET from a day in the rain.

NO COTTON. at all. ever. for any reason. wool, synthetic, fleece, are your only option. these materials maintain there insulation value when wet. you may be uncomfortable in it wet, but you can maintain body heat, critically important.

I wear quick drying nylong pants from mountain hardware or northface. these are lightwight, fast drying, turn into shorts for hot days, and are extremely durable even if they are light. ive had both my pairs for 4 years now and beat the shit out of them and they are still going strong

Mountain Hardwear | Men's Matterhorn

they are expensive (u can find a simmilar pant in the 50-70 dollar range) but once you use them ull understand there value)

for shirts, i pack a light baselayer, a fleece top, a synethitc puff jacket (light and compressible, warm still when yet) and then a waterproof shell. i prefer mountain hardware for my coat, but any gortex like breathable fabric from a good brand will treat you well. get just a shell, meaning no insulation built into the jacket. this set up will cover a wide variety of weather and temps from a week in the snow to hot rainstorms in the southwest. its an ideal setup, and its gonna take time to gather it all up. the most important thing to remember is dont take cotton (cotton will wick body heat away from your skin and evaporate it off). if your hiking the summer, in a wam climate, 1 cotton shirt is ok to take to where while hiking, but i prefer a "coolmax" type fabric that is designed for hot sweaty conditions, as it cools better then cotton.

For bud, if you can, take a case of prerolled joints, or some concentrates and a small piece of your choice. bring a qp isnt a weight issue, its a space issue. if u can turn that QP into hash it will be much easier to travel with and you wont worry about crushing it. for nugs, i use a container such as a medicine bottle (although i have some that are designed for weed with a grinder built into the lid).

dont take a glass jar, ur asking to break it :p

I have spent time building an maintaining the pacfic crest trail in wilderness sections for up to 10 days at a time, hiked across some of the most remote mountain ranges in north america, hiked in coastal marine wilderness (think BC coastline, very demanding weather), 15 day winter ski trips building snow shelters in the wilderness, and I am a master educator of Leave No Trace. I have worked hard at devoloping my skillset, gear, and knowledge so its a please if i can pass some info to a newcomer and get them started down the right path (trail pun!)

I hope this helps you out and if you have any more quesitons feel free to ask and ill do my best to help you out. It is all complex, and everyone has there own ideal system, so study up on what others do and try to make it work for you. most important is to be safe, and always be assesing your risks.

also, ALWAYS take a basic (or advanced) first aid kit and KNOW HOW TO USE EVERYTHING IN IT. I am a wilderness first responder and I have literally watched people die in the woods and remember your in a serious place and you dont want to fuck around when your far away from help. not to say dont do it, but constantly asses your risks. learn what to do in a electric storm, learn about bombproofing your gear when off on a day hike. (bombproof = everything in the tent, in a waterpoof bag, weighted down so if a tornado comes over ur tent while ur gone u can still have all ur things you need.

never drink untreated water. ever. for any reason. giardia is NOT worth it, and if you 4 days out when it sets in, you stand a very high chance of DEATH from dehydration/fatigue.

i know this is rambling, and inchoerent, im sorry. im trying to get as much info to u as fast as i can here.

if you take nothing else from this, commit these seven things to memory, that way ull only be fucking up your own fun, and not the experience of others.

PLAN AHEAD AND PREPARE
    Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you'll visit.
    Prepare for extreme weather, hazards, and emergencies.
    Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.
    Visit in small groups when possible. Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.
    Repackage food to minimize waste.
    Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging.
    TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE SURFACES
    Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow.
    Protect riparian areas by camping at least 200 feet from lakes and streams.
    Good campsites are found, not made. Altering a site is not necessary.
    In popular areas:
    Concentrate use on existing trails and campsites.
    Walk single file in the middle of the trail, even when wet or muddy.
    Keep campsites small. Focus activity in areas where vegetation is absent.
    In pristine areas:
    Disperse use to prevent the creation of campsites and trails.
    Avoid places where impacts are just beginning.
    DISPOSE OF WASTE PROPERLY
    Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food, and litter.
    Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp, and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished.
    Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products.
    To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.
    LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND
    Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch, cultural or historic structures and artifacts.
    Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
    Avoid introducing or transporting non-native species.
    Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
    MINIMIZE CAMPFIRE IMPACTS
    Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the backcountry. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and enjoy a candle lantern for light.
    Where fires are permitted, use established fire rings, fire pans, or mound fires.
    Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
    Burn all wood and coals to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cool ashes.
    RESPECT WILDLIFE
    Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
    Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
    Protect wildlife and your food by storing rations and trash securely.
    Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
    Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.
    BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER VISITORS
    Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
    Be courteous. Yield to other users on the trail.
    Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.
    Take breaks and camp away from trails and other visitors.
    Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.

10. anyone have any comments to add to hammock tent camping???
    [​IMG]

I know they run cooler when sleeping in(and I usually freeze) but I just got a really sweet sleeping bag and Im getting a inflatable sleeping pad from REI... so i wondered if anyone has camped in a hammock and had positive or negative reviews...

my main concern is getting some place and having no place to tie up and still end up sleeping on the ground...

last year i hiked havasupai and I couldn't pull the trigger on the hammock without knowing the area and was devastated to see tons of good trees to hang from... what a great trip... I did the ten miles in a ten miles out in 48 hours... and im fit but not athletic... i was wasted on the drive home, but I wouldn't trade a second for anything

any thoughts on bivy sacks??? it appears to be the best way to hike camp... moisture seems to be everyones main issues but it really does look cool
    [​IMG]

11. So always thick wool socks? I have atleast 4 or 6 pairs of wool blended socks. What about sock liners(dress socks)?

Do you always pack long underwear? What about long top layer?

Are puff jackets good for the 2nd out-est layer? (compression?) If I buy one, should I get the size water-proof-shell, to fit around it comfortably, I assume?

I have a kerosene lantern (think oldschool with chimney, and handle on top for carrying). I've come to friggin love it for camping. Is this possible to take, vs a candle lantern?

Understood in terms of no-trace/campfires. I like that mentality, "so that way, when someone comes after me, they get to experience nature unhindered". I want to apologize on the large amount of questions, but I get curious in little details. What is the best type of bag for waste? I would imagine gallon+ ziplock, but what are good ways to tie it to my backpack?

----------

With bivvy (goretex) shells, I've gathered 1-2 things. Awesome if you come in contact with outside-moisture (say if you have a tent that leaks). But I've heard don't rely on it in a storm to keep you wet. It'll keep you well and dry, but if it's your shelter in a torrential downpour, it'll get wet.

I'm aiming for getting the ECWS military 3-layer shell. thick in-est layer for -10 rating, inner green for 30-50, with outer goretex layer. Figure I'll keep it all together, and lay inside one or the other depending on weather. Regardless it has that goretex lining, and I think it fully zips over face too.

With hammock-camping I don't have too much input. What I have is this - they can be semi uncomfortable (in my opinion), and are a bitch when its windy.

I slept in it once at the top of a mountain in gatlinburg, TN when I was with my brother/his gf camping overnight for the morning hike. It's a peculiar sleeping position - just like a hammock if you're familiar. You can't lay on your stomach, and sleeping on your side is weird. Even sleeping on your back feels peculiar (in my opinion atleast, with my feet up, and my head up. I like laying straight as a board).

As well to that, where I was, and the night that it were, it made for horrible sleep. So windy, and near top of a mountain, all the wind was buffetting the hammock. I was comfortable temperature-wise, it was just loud. Other than that, seems like a good thought. Keep in mind I may be portraying this input on hammock in worst-light-detail lol.

12. caps my reply

13. nvm ..

14. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. When I get back from my trip from Florida in July, I'm definitely planning on making this a hobby.

15. definitely save up some coin lol

what i gather, is there is a lot of subpar gear out there that will work, but if you want or plan on doing it for an actual hobby of more than just a few times, it's worth the extra money to save and buy good equipment. especially if that equipment lasts years n years

16. I agree with buying quality gear that will last, but do what you have to do to get out there. Craigslist and ebay are full of gear that someone bought for 1 trip and never used agian. Be about the trip not the gear. Most backpackers I have met are just gear junkies, they spend more time and money shopping for and talking about their fucking gear than anything else, most of that shit is just overpriced crap that you dont really need. I have been piecing my gear together for the last 20 years and most of the used and higher quality gear I have bought over the years still works great till this day.

17. they are called YUPPIES

18. #19 zowie, May 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
    I want to try this back packing experience. It sounds fun as hell. I just have to get some of the supplies you mentioned on the first page. I think my friend has done that before but up north in california. Going to ask him if he's down to go with me this summer. bring some bud to smoke while camping out or something.

19. What about mess kits... I have some thoughts. I know this thread is old but let me share my experience with you. Maybe it'll be helpful for some strangers who find this thread occasionally like me.

There are actually two figures of merit, one is conductivity, the other one is specific heat (the amount of heat required to raise one gram of the material one degree centigrade) [aluminum holds more heat]:

The equations for conductivity require dividing the conductivity quotient by the thickness of the metal and the thinness of Titanium cookware more than makes up for its lower conductivity quotient, however its the thickness [per the same weight]and the higher specific heat of Aluminum that makes it "cook" better because the heat is diffused in it more, making for fewer hot spots, especially with the extremely tiny burners on ultralight stoves.

Heat actually goes through titanium pans very quickly, and a titanium pan of water set on snow will cool far more quickly than an equal amount of hot water in a similarly sized aluminum or stainless steel pan. This is why you burn your food in titanium, even though people say "It doesn't conduct heat as well" which is wrong for the reasons I stated: Best Backpacking Mess Kit Review: Only Top 10 On The Market in 2019!

All outdoor cooking requires constant attention and often the pan must be held in your hand rather than being set on the stove.

I was waving my Titanium pan back and forth over the stove last night as I was reheating spaghetti and I still burned it a bit, aluminum would have done a better job, but only with similar attention. I have all titanium, but probably aluminum makes better cookware. I have a titanium skillet and it works for me.

• Like Like x 1