Back for more - new, covert setup : )

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vivala, Dec 29, 2009.

1. #1 vivala, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
    **exhales a cloud of smoke**

Both plants from my previous closed grow were males, so I'm starting from scratch again : ( However, i've designed a pretty cool covert grow box for under $50, which I feel pretty damn good about. It's built into a Rubbermaid container (25 gallon)

Grow Plan:

Soil: "Roots" Organic
    Nutes: also from "Roots" Organic. 3tbs per gallon
    Pots: about 1.5 gallons: they look short, but actually hold quite a bit of soil, enough for the size plants I'm looking to harvest (pretty tiny)
    Lighting: 8 24-26watt CFLs, 6000k (for vegging, will use same # and wattage of 2700k bulbs when I go to flowering)

Setup:

The rubbermaid container is covered on the inside (except for the bottom) with a safety blanket - the kind backpackers use. It's almost entirely light-proof. Six y-splitter pieces are used to orient the lights as you see them, which allows for maximum plant height to be reached. Plan on putting my babies up on a box at first, then removing it to get them through flowering; this is to keep too much stretching from occurring.

A power strip is setup inside the box, and there is also a small carbon filter inside (to be supplemented with ONA-type neutralizer).
    Inside temp is reading about 101 degrees F! Would scare me except that I'll be installing two computer fans for exhaust over the lights as well as two for intake beside each plant. This should decrease temp and provide a tiny breeze to thicken up the stems. Some dark cloth will cover the exterior of the fans to keep as much light as possible from leaking in/out.

I have a handful of white skunk seeds germinating in a drawer. Hope to take two of them and plant one per pot. Hopefully at least one of the babies will be a lady this time around

I will be four-way LSTing the two plants to increase yield, but probably will engage flowing cycle after about 3 weeks (try to do it with the plants at about 4" tall, that way they can finish flowering in the container)

I like it because it will be covert enough to hide with a blanket in a pinch, there, won't be light leaking out from around my closet, and this should contain the smell to a greater extent, which was rather disconcerting before.

Well, there you have it
    (i will be buying feminized seeds the next time around. . . )
    I'm also starting a new grow journal if any of you are interested : )

Attached Files:

2. That will work for the veg cycle, but anything other than an autoflower (like LR2) will outgrow that box shortly after flowering takes off. Perhaps you could take another identical container and cut the bottom out, making it twice as tall?? Also, the odds of getting one let alone two females aren't very good with only 2 plants and not using fem seed. Kinda setting yourself up for disappointment.

3. I see your point, but I do know how to manipulate the plants effectively and I think I can spread them out enough to see them through flowering in this box. I know that that will also affect the size of my buds, and decrease overall yeild, but I need it to be sneaky you know? So I figure any bud I can grow is good bud, and I kinda like growing.

We'll see. . . I think I'll keep this going and see what I can do. I can always adjust it later if I need to. Also I had the thought that a trash can could be used to grow some pretty bigs plants through to flowering. Maybe next time. . .

As for the two plants thing man, if I had more room to grow, or could afford femmed seeds I'd plant more plants or buy femmed seeds. For now, I'll have to roll the dice on these non-femmed but good quality seeds. Best I can do.

My only other option would be to plant two plants in each pot, but I don't really feel like I'd be able to effectively separate two plants out of the same pot, as their roots would grow together. I'll see how many seeds sprout maybe and go from there.