Babysitter or day care?

Discussion in 'General' started by green1706, Sep 19, 2009.

1. #1 green1706, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
    What do you think is better? Have a babysitter or your child go to a day care? I have a babysitter but I start to worry about the education that my children receive. Older child, about 7 years, already goes to school starting this month, but the smaller, 3 years and a half, sitting all day with the babysitter. I think that I take my child to day care even if it will be very hard for him. However, I do not know what to choose: babysitter or day care? Please help me!

:confused:

2. I think it really depends on who the babysitter is, compare that to the attention and love your child recieves at a day care

3. I would definitely go with daycare.

The real issue for me is socialization. Your 3 year old can learn valuable social skills simply by interacting with other children (why do you think you can tell when someone was an "only child"?), and it's not clear that the 3 year old can do that at home all day with the babysitter while the 7 year old is at school.

Just my $.02, and I should say that your children will definitely turn out better because you're worried about this: it definitely demonstrates that you care, and most of the time that's what really counts.

4. Im no where even close to being a parent let alone married lol, but i would trust somebody who has worked at a daycare for a while now as compared to a babysitter you dont know anything about beyond giving them a self background check.

5. My 2 cents is a daycare.. second the interaction part and also probably more chances for the child to learn? I know when I was younger a few of my girlfriends used to babysit all the time.. She would stay on the phone with me and let the kid do whatever he/she wants.. Just IMO

6. Why pay daycare when daycare can pay you?

[​IMG]

7. My sister and I grew up with a stay at home dad, at the time I thought it was awesome. I have since learned that my dad is agoraphobic, which I think has caused some hermit tendencies in my adult life. Because of my experience growing up with a stay at home parent, I recommend daycare.

8. for the interaction factor alone i reccomend daycare...if i could afford it thats where my almost 11 month old would e at least twice a wekk just so he can intereact with other children.
    there are a lot of things at daycares you need to look for though...

Question: What Questions Will Help Me Choose The Right Daycare?
    What should parents ask to know they've made the right decision in choosing quality child care for their youngster?
    Answer: You've visited the facility, and are interested in placing your child. But before you do, ask these 15 questions to help you make an informed decision.

1) May I drop in anytime?

2) May I participate in program planning?

3) May I take part in special events and trips?

4) What are your hours of operation?

5) What are the fees?

6) What does this include?

7) Are there extra fees (such as activity fees or enrichment opportunities) in addition to the cited standard fees?

8) Is there a reduction in fees if my child is sick or takes vacation?

9) What happens if my child becomes ill or is injured at the center?

10) Are the caregivers trained in child development?

11) What are the hiring procedures?

12) What is the tenure of the staff (feel free to ask about teachers who would be specific to your child's class)?

13) May I contact staff references?

14) Is there a parents' group or program?

15) Are there restrictions on who may pick up my child?

16) Is your facility licensed and/or accredited? (Standards vary by state and area and opinions vary on the importance of being licensed?)

17) What is the staff-to-child ratio in the classroom my kid would be in? Does this ratio change throughout the day or will it always remain at or below this level? (NOTE: Some daycare centers start kids together in a large classroom until all teachers arrive, meaning the ratio is disproportionate for an hour or so. The process may be repeated at the end of the day as well.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many good reasons parents choose the child care option they do. Unfortunately, there are also many bad reasons as well. Choosing the wrong type of care, or one that is selected strictly for cost or convenience, can backfire, creating a stressful situation for the family and an unhappy child as well. Here are pitfalls to avoid when choosing child care.

1. Choosing Child Care Strictly Due to Location
    Location should be a consideration when choosing child care for your youngster. But choosing a child care facility strictly because it is close to your home or work, without carefully determining whether it also meets your family's expectations for other considerations, spells potential disaster. Parents need to make sure a facility provides the right education focus, environment, hours of service, safety, and other criteria as well. Then, a convenient location essentially seals the deal!

2. Selecting Care Because of 'Prestige'
    A private pre-school prep program may be right for some kids, but it doesn't mean it is right for your child. Some parents reserve a spot for their child at an exclusive pre-school program when a child is born, or apply for a child's acceptance even before the infant can even walk or talk. However, all children learn in different ways, and a structure under which some kids thrive may very well make others withdrawn. There is no "best" child care; what's best is what works for your family.

3. Picking Child Care Because It's A Bargain
    Cheap child care is hard to ignore, especially for families on a tight budget, but don't get swayed into using a child care provider because it's cheap. You may get what you pay for, and that may not be meant in the best way. While affordable child care can be of optimal quality, it could also be offered by a start-up provider or new daycare that may not have experience to draw in families. It could also be a parent who wants to "babysit" other kids for extra cash. Bottom line: be careful!

4. Relatives or Friends Offer to Watch Your Child
    Family members have lovingly and carefully watched kids for generations so parents can work. While this arrangement often bodes well for all parties involved, parents need to consider whether their child is thriving or is missing out on enrichment, stimulation, and early education opportunities. Being "family" doesn't at all mean a person is truly qualified to safely watch after a child, especially if it is on a recurring basis. It's okay too for parents to set expectations and place limits.

5. Being Loyal to a Person Rather Than a Place
    Child care is notorious for having high turnover among staff, especially at institutional daycare facilities, where pay is low and hours long. Parents should be careful to not choose a child care facility because of an individual teacher/provider. Staff may get transferred to another age group, move to another location, or leave the facility altogether. Unless you're willing to follow this person wherever she goes, make sure you like the overall operations and employees.

6. Using a Caregiver Strictly Because of a Neighbor or Friend
    Just because your toddler's best friend uses a particular daycare doesn't mean your child will agree. Parents sometimes make child care decisions based on where a buddy goes or a neighbor or friend's recommendation. While these recommendations provide a good starting point for considering options, parents need to keep in mind that kids may view a place differently, or even find that being in the same care setting actually harms budding friendships rather than fostering a closer relationship.

7. Limiting Your Options To A Specific Type of Care
    Parents should carefully research their options for different types of child care offerings (i.e. nanny, daycare, in-home provider, or au pair), and not be closed-minded. Often, parents prefer a particular type of care based on their own childhood or because of someone they like vs. well-thought out fact-based details. Each type of care has advantages and disadvantages, and families should discuss pros and cons and give true consideration to options.

8. Rushing into a Child Care Decision Without Asking Questions, Doing Research
    Parents often rush into choosing child care without giving careful consideration into how it will impact the development of their child. Parents may be meticulous and demand details and schedules in certain areas of their lives, yet be all too willing to make a snap decision concerning care of their child. Deciding who will be caring for your kid, whether it is occasional or every day, part-time or full-time, is a huge decision and parents need to make sure they do the proper research first.

9. Not Giving Part-Time or Short-Term Child Care Enough Consideration
    So, your child will be spending an hour or two a few times a week in an after-school program, and since it is at school it should be fine. Right? Maybe or maybe not, but parents should be sure to ask lots of questions and do their research first before simply signing a child up. Kids deserve a quality care program regardless of whether they are only there a few hours a week or on occasion. Parents should find out staff's qualifications and experience as well as planned activities first.

10. Sticking With a Provider Because You're Afraid Nobody is Better
    Sticking with a mediocre child care provider because you're afraid to make a change or because you fear there may be no one who is better are lousy reaons to keep using a particular caregiver. Parents should speak up and communicate with a provider if they have concerns about whether a provider is doing a good job. If there are concerns that have been discussed and not addressed, and you can't live with the issues, then it's definitely time to move on and find someone else.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, when checkin out places for the tot, look around, do the children look happy? or restlessly bored? are the caregivers getting down on the ground playing with them? or watching from a distance?
    is there a designated area for babies that has limited swings? or all all the newbies strapped in?

but above all, THIS IS YOUR CHILD...and always go with you gut;)

9. I'll always be cautious of daycares. One of my good friends has worked at a few different daycares and the shit that goes on in them.. not so good. And these are "nice" daycares, too. I'd just find a babysitter you can trust, your child is less likely to be neglected or abused that way. If you don't trust your babysitter set up one of those nanny cams.

10. man, that is just a crazy picture to think about