Autoflowers: Trimming fan leaves in mid flower?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Farmer_grow, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Tents getting mighty crowded, I have 2 tower fans occilating and a 6inch extractor near full power in a 4x4, the lung room is near 70% RH I'm managing to keep RH in the tent around 55-57 with the help of a 20L dehumidifier.

Not much else I can do about humidity at this point so I'm opting for plenty of airflow, which brings me to this issue.

The girls are 4 weeks into flower, and with their fan leaves I fear the airflow is not penetrating enough to hold off mold & bud rot.

Am I going to stunt them if I start taking lower fan leaves off? Say 4-5 a day or 20 per plant in one sitting?

Or should I just leave em and react to budrot/mold if and when I face it?

Cheers dudes

2. A 6 inch blower near full power should be sucking the walls of that 4x4 in........check for duct leaks. As far as humidity, why not just dehumidify the air in the lung room instead of trying to extract the moisture from the limited volume of air in the 4x4 for the short time it's in there.

3. Haha yeah you're right, the walls are being sucked in a good few inches which is adding to the lack of space issue.

I've tried the dehumidifier in the lung room which results in slightly higher RH in the tent. I may give it another shot now I'm blasting the fan so high. Real issue is I need a fucking industrial size dehumidifier to sort out the basement I'm growing in.

Next grow I'll look to address that by better sectioning off the basement into a more manageable amount of area to control.

4. That's not what you want. You're exchanging the air too fast, that is not allowing the dehumidifier to extract the moisture from the air. You should only just barely have any negative pressure inside the tent.

5. Couple pics for context.

I have the fan up high to extract the extra heat generated by the dehumi.

I just done a 20min test with the dehumi in the lung room and the RH jumped from 55 to 70 instantly

6. You have to clean up the bottoms of the plants, way too dense under there. Not only for ventilation purposes, but light penetration as well, and probably get another dehumidifier for the lung room.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Have I not left it too late to defoliate? They're just starting to fatten up, wont I kill my yield if I stress them out now?

8. I've never had an issue thinning out autos.

9. Even mid flower? How hard should I go?

10. Do an experiment, lollipop the shit out of 1 plant, gently thin out one plant, leave one plant as is.....see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not a bad idea, I'll give this a go tomorrow and see how they respond after a couple days, atleast I'll know for next time.

12. Update on this one, I defoliated the 2 front plants quite heavily, removing fan leaves and shoots which are not going to break through the canopy, they seem to have handled it with no noticeable slowdown.

May have taken 20% of her lower leaves and 10% of her stems, I'm going to repeat this process with the front 2 once a week unles they get stressed and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1