Autoflowers and "pseudo" supersoil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Shaawing, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Im going to be growing some autoflowers and I want to try and do a water only method but also don't want to make a "supersoil" I'm wondering if I use these ingredients considering an autoflower had a short lifespan will this be a good substitute?

-foxfarm ocean forest 1 bag =42.5 liter bag
    -composte + 5-10 liters (15-25%)
    -premium nightcrawler castings + 10 liters (25%)
    -foxfarm either American pride or marine cuisine time release all purpose fertilizer.. follow directions on product... any suggestions on which is better?
    -perlite + 10 liters (25%)

For autoflowers would this be a good water only mix??

All of these numbers are just off the top of my head.. I have no idea what I'm talking about.. that's why I need advise lol

2. I saw someone on youtube do a similar mix and had great results and is actually one of the best growing tutorial video makers out there, his youtube handle is Cali Green and theres 2 videos ( growing medical cannabis and indoor medical cannabis ) on his channel where he uses only ocean forest for 1 then makes the mix that is similar to mine in the other video and both grows come out great!

3. Personally, I prefer the Roots Organics Original to the OF soil. It's a little bit more expensive, but I've been using it for years now. It's specifically designed to grow these plants, has the proper drainage already built into it which is a biggie with an indoor soil grow. These plants hate constant wet soil, so having the correct blend is definitely a help rather than a hurt. I use 3 things to grow....Soil (The Roots), tap water (I do pH it because that's the way I've always done, but with a soil grow, keeping a perfect pH on the water isn't such a big deal. Totally another story with hydro growing), and light. Stopped using additional nutes last year with no change in the size of my plants or buds. The key to getting a plant to produce is not nutes....they're just plant food repackaged to look good and advertised to do stuff they really don't actually do. LOL Unless they're really hungry, tossing a bunch of chemicals into your plants is only going to burn them. As long as the new growth on your plant is that rich blue/green color we associate with a healthy plant, not hungry. When a plant gets hungry it will tell you. The coloring of the foliage will wash out to a more yellowish/green instead of that rich blue/green we're trying to maintain. Getting hungry typically goes right along with being root bound because these plants are fast cyclers. Instead of feeding, since I'm using photo strains, I simply repot when mine get hungry or need a new container. You don't repot a plant until it's larger than the container it's presently in (wider and taller than), and you ALWAYS let them dry out to nearly bone dry before doing it. This helps hold the root ball/plant together and lessens chance of stress.

Autos (from what I've read) don't like to be repotted. I don't know, I don't grow them. I want to be in control of the plant, not the other way around and that's the difference in the photo and auto strains of seeds. Autos are genetically programmed to do their thing on a schedule regardless of what you do as the grower, light schedule, etc. They will flower even under 24 hours of light. If I were you, I would light them with as much good strong flower lighting 24/0 as you can. Light grows big plants and fat buds. Nutes just feed plants. Keep it simple, go with premade premium quality grow soil, stay away from filtered/distilled water and use tap water since there are actually valuable micronutrients in tap water that these plants use. Never water unless you can lift the container and feel NO weight...like you just put fresh dry soil in there. While they're small, they grow slower and their rate of growth will depend on how much soil they have to root into and the quality/wattage light you use in both veg and flower.

Using a good soil, you'll likely get most of the way through the grow before actually needing to feed. When you do...if you do reach that point, be very judicious with nutes. You can always add more, but can't take them out once poured in. Don't go by the hydro method recipe...be sure and mix for soil. I would then half that giving you a start off dose of about 1/4 the recommended hydro amt. A hydro grow lives and dies by nutes and pH values. A soil grow is much less complicated using a good quality soil, because the soil does most of the feeding for you.

Find a reliable source and read up on everything you can about this plant. The more intimately you know and understand it, the better grower you will be. Spend plenty of time learning how to tend them. It's not like taking care of your average garden veggie or house plant. But it's not rocket science by any means and once you've grown 2 or 3, it's just repeat, repeat, repeat. Spend your money on lighting because you are wasting your time without it. We average around 5 oz per plant after harvest and cure and it's because of the wattage we use per plant. Hope it turns out well. TWW

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. If this mix is good will much to germinate in? What if I took a 3 gallon pot and filled it up but made a hole like I was transplanting but I filled that hole in with germinating soil and put the seed in that so it would grow through the germ soil and eventually to the mix I made...

5. So do you just use quality soil and that's it? Just ph water for feeding? I understand the quality light and all that but just talking about your medium and feeding.. just good soil and ph water? I'm very new to this and obvioustly more people go towards advertising so all I've heared is nutrient plan this pump them full of chemicals that.. not a lot of natural growers out there

6. Sorry to double reply but you seem to know a lot.. would a nutrient rich soil like roots or ocean forest burn the plant if I went from germinating directly to planting in the soil? Can I fill a 3 gallon pot and make a hole like I'm transplanting and fill that hole with germinating soil and germinate it in there and let it grow through the germ soil to the nutrient rich soil? Autos don't like transplanting...

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is exactly what you must do, as auto seedlings are extremely nute sensitive. Use a light seedling mix like fox farms light warrior. Jiffy or any light seedling mix works well too. They have barely any nutes, and extra perlite.
    This is exactly they way I do it, except I use my own mix for main mix in the pot.
    Here is a pic of how I prep a pot.
    Then remove orange pot and fill with light warrior. Auto's need lots of light, so run them 20/4, right from the start, all the way to harvest. Don't give them anything but water the first 3 weeks.
    hth
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Awesome, thank you!

9. yes, that is the best way to get an auto off to a good start.

10. Thats pretty much what i did last year. Mixed some peat, perlite, humus, kelp and neem and planted into it. Sow into the final size pot dont transplant it and you should be good to go

Sent from my SM-N910P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. How are your plants doing?? I'm new to autos as well and used a similar method to what 'talkative' said but I found a recipe called Moonshine mans supersoil. I mixed OF with Happy Frog potting mix, perlite, worm castings, and a happy frog fruit and flower to the bottom 3 gallons, then filled up the top 2 with peat moss, perlite and a teaspoon or two of more worm castings.

12. #12 Talkative, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    oh wrong thread, I thought I was on the layering thread. But it won't let me delete a post.

13. Sure there is. You're in the Organics forum. Start browsing through our Stickys and general threads on organic growing.

J

14. I don't understand - a healthy plants roots will be through the little bit of "light warrior " and growing into the main mix in just a couple days. I'll see roots poking out of the bottom of my 13 gallon pots just a couple days after transplant - so what is the use?

J

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. @jerry11165
    The seed starter is for germinating in, autos are way fussy when they germinate, our soils are a little too rich and the new seedlings stunt. The op phrased the question in kind of an unusual way.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've never tried growing an autoflower plant so I'll guarantee I'm the wrong guy but how about just making sure that the soil has had time to cycle prior to germination?

St the end of the day though if it works and isn't broken...

J

17. @jerry11165
    It's not that it isn't cycled, Autos prefer soil with virtually nothing for germination and the first couple weeks. Using too good of soil for germination, is where all the bad press comes from that autos are hard to grow, and end up small (cause most will stunt in a good soil mix without using my trick). Perlite and peet and a touch of lime is all it takes. Jiffy is really my fav, but I can get FF light warrior even in the winter up here, and seems like that is always when I need more. :)
    os