Autoflowers and lighting schedules

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by TPiffKed, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Hey guys, first time growing any autoflower strains and I have an issue im trying to work out. Ive been leaving my lighting at 18 hrs a day, same as i do for my photoperiod plants, but i just switched over to 12/12 because the plants are getting pretty huge pretty fast and i dont want to run out of room. I know the lighting schedule shpuldnt effect autoflowers, but ive read how sometimes you just get regular seeds for some reason when ordering autoflowers. Got them from a coworker so im not positive on genetics or anything. One of the plants absolutely started stretching and i can now see some little hairs starting to form. I may have jumped the gun on waiting to see when they flowered, and i know the more light these babies get the more yield ill get. Do you think I should risk switching back to 18 hrs a day hoping they are indeed autoflowers, or should i keep the 12/12 to be sure i have no issues? Anyone ever do anything like this? Anyone with autoflower strains, answers much appreciated. Thanks. 20170617_155153.jpg 20170617_155202.jpg 20170617_155157.jpg the tall lanky one had lots of issues until the past week or so, then the past few days has stretched like crazy and looks healthy now. The nice bushy one has seemed to even off at the moment. Both plants are exact same age. Roughly 5 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. If they're indeed autos, you want to keep your lights 18/6, 20/4, or 24/0. Which you choose is preference. I wouldn't drop below the former, as it might affect your yield. Autos are on their own predetermined growth schedule based on their genetics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Have you ever run into seeds that shouldve been autos but ended up being regular photoperiod plants?

4. I'm new to it, so not yet... but I've read of instances where a buyer will be sent photoperiod seeds instead of auto, or vice versa...by mistake, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Autos will show signs of flower even while they continue to grow, which yours are. I personally run my autos on 20/4. As for your stretching issue : look into low stress training (LST) its easy to do and will give you a much better canopy aswell as prevent it from reaching your light, which you also want you light as 12-16inches above them to prevent them stretching aswell.
    So :

If your light is set high your plant will stretch to reach it, looks like you have LED so keep it alittle closer to the top of your plant

Research LST: it's literally just tying your plant down to change the dynamics of how it grows suuuuper easy and some kick ass results as it gives more light penetration to multiple colas.

Here's a pic of my auto cash crop to give you an idea of height control with this technique. Have over 22 colas on one plant standing less than 1.5 feet tall IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1737.JPG

The red circle is the top of my plant, can't show you the bend I got cause it's to thick for me to get to.

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. I admit I have been anti autoflower plants for a long time because what I have seen was lean and very low yield.

But lately the genetics are getting a lot better and I wouldn't mind throwing a few out in the sunny but black corners of the yard just to see how they perform. I am pretty spoiled with my photoperiod genetics though.

7. I do indoors only, I like autos cause of quick turn around time 65-70 seed to harvest and I'm limited to a 2x2 space with 5 foot height.
    But your right they have come along way in genetics !
    Cons : can't take clones, topping doesn't work but LST is very effective !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nice. Yeah my dad used to grow a "60 Day Wonder" Blueberry. He got seeds from Marc Emery in Vancouver while he was living in Kona. But Hawaii is different and autos and Sativa's are great there.

I was just thinking next year I could throw some nice 90 day autos out in my yard next April and have some summertime smoke before my giant plants harvest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm in Nebraska :/ lol it's a lost cause outdoors. Humidity and heat is nuts in the winter, Japanese Beatles would be high as a kite during fall and tornado weather would surely rip it away. Not to mention the neighborhood watch of elderly would prolly identify before sprouting and I'd have swat team up my ass. Hard l knock life. lol plan on building a sub basement in my next house to have more space but I do it for personal only and only dish out to really close friends. It's always about quality over quantity for me.

10. Wow. I grew up in a little historic mining town called Old Shasta. Population 720 when I was a kid.

11. Next to Whiskeytown Lake. Almost perfect pot growing weather. Except during LA Niña years when we get "June gloom" and clones go into a premature bloom.

We don't have so tight of laws, but we do have the local lawmakers that make growing really difficult.

12. #12 Shasta_Lake_California, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Sorry to the author of the thread. I do mean to stay on topic. I'm hoping my autoflower plan for next year works well with increasing daylight hours until the summer solstice, then a declination. So photoperiod hours are important. It light at 4:45am and dark at 9:15pm this time of year. But you can see the pre dawn and post dusk twilight for an hour before and after that.

13. Ked:
    12/12 is silly for an auto flower, your going loose so much yield that way. Keep it on the suggested 18/6 20/4 or 24 light schedule and if your growing to tall train them, which you should do anyways with autos imo. Just don't top them, they don't have enough life span to recoop from that. And if your questioning rather or not it's an auto: buy from reputable source or notice that your plants flowering while still in "veg cycle"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1