Auto transplant. Helpppp

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Polarbear-, May 2, 2016.

1. OK so here's my deal, I have a few auto fem. Northern lights to be exact. I was told at first to plant them in solo cups for a few weeks to build a root system faster then to transplant to a 3-5 gallon pot. Well they have been in their solo cups a little over a week. Well now everybody is saying you are suppose to plant autos in their "final" pot. I also was told if you do not my way that when I do transplant them it will put them in "shock" and dramatically lowwer my yield. My question is from the "vets" is any of this true is so which is the preferred method. I'm just worried now I messed my whole grow up. They are still very young, I did here that some one just cup the bottom out of their red solo cup and just drop the plant and cup in the 3 gallon pot and the roots grew out from the bottom. Need help y'all lol. Here's a pic of one of the plants give y'all a idea of the age it that plays any kind of roll. 1462196152988.jpg

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I would wait until they're bigger if you wanted to transplant. If you do so with minimal stress, you shouldn't shock too bad.

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  3. I mean I feel I can be careful and transplant them correctly. I'm just worried about people saying it "stuns them". Myself I don't see what the difference would be as long as you take your time and don't like rip the roots all to hell.

• Like Like x 2
  4. If it stunts them, it'll only be by a few days/or until their roots reach the new container, then they'll explode in growth. I recently transplanted an auto, but it was at about two/three weeks.. Maybe transplant two, and grow out one in the solo cup, and see the results! (I'd be interested, too)

Mine are in the dirt."

5. Actually I might do that I'd so the yield in a solo would be very low. But that would be interesting just to see what it would look like. So you recommend waiting about two more weeks then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah I recommend waiting until they've got lots of roots down there. If you go to transplant now, the root zone will probably just fall apart. You want to let the soil dry and the roots and soil will become one easy unit to remove... I'm betting even after transplant, they outgrow the solo cup with a higher yield. NL autos generally get huge, lol, I don't think you'll have any issues.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Diatt, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Make your pots up, cut the bottom off the solo ups and stick them into the pots. Do this now to avoid transplant shock. You will have the cups sticking out of the pots. This will allow the roots to just grow down. I wouldn't do a normal transplant with auto.

Just what I would do.

I just re-read a bit. I never seen any thing on roots growing faster from being in a solo cup(feel free to correct me here.) People mostly do that to save space and it's easier to move plants around an care for them. But next time remember autos will always be planted in their final home.

• Like Like x 3
  8. thats just what i'd suggest as well just cut the bottom of the cup let that taproot get out and down in the final pot,,,mac

• Like Like x 3
  9. thats just what i'd suggest as well just cut the bottom of the cup let that taproot get out and down in the final pot,,,mac

• Like Like x 1
  10. Now if I do the cutting the bottom of the cup off and planting it as one. Do I still need to wait a couple weeks or can I do it now. I know if I took the plant our if the cup it would agitate the roots but would the sides of the cup not cause stress too. Sorry I don't mean to keep dragging it on just want to make sure I have a good understanding.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would do it now since the roots prob haven't made it to the bottom. Doing it now will be a lot less stressful. And no worries most people here don't mind helping out. Ask all you need bud.

And no just cut the bottom and burry cup half way or so in the big pots.

• Like Like x 2
  12. This is why I transplant actually... The top 2"-4" of your soil is so important to microbial life and other microorganisms. By just cutting the bottom, you're keeping that tiny (and arguably most important zone) down to a very small surface area. When you transplant, the roots grow out and down, when you cut the bottom, they can only grow down.

That's just my opinion though, I'm interested to see the results, whatever method you do.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hi.. cup bottom off... make a well in final home pot. .. put solo in and new siol upto edges then wen sturdy put ya solo cup out and out. Dun ... hope i explaibed it rite there... i no wat i mean in my head lol!!! But yes i would do it now if doing it this way. Or do it wen ya feel stronger... up to u. I wood bite bulet and do it now so they av better siol etc but thats me... not saying its best way or worst etc.. im just saying wat i wood do... good luck babe anyway. Happy growing to u xxxx

• Like Like x 3
  14. I honestly love Grasscity for the multiple opinions and methods.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 2
  15. That's true, but if the roots grow down and out, you would still have your 2-4 in the bigger pots when they grow out no? Not sure, I read about that before, but that's just what I was seen for transplanting autos.

I just figured they both would be the top few inches.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Awesome guys thanks alot I'm loving this website everybody's so helpful and willingness to help. I appreciate all the opinions. I may do both ways and see how it turns out a little experiment. Peace

• Like Like x 2

17. Cool keep posted on it, I would like to see the results. You should make grow log if you are new. That way if you have issues down the road be easier to understand what's going on.

Best luck.

• Like Like x 1
  18. And then we can follow your journal .

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  19. However you made this thread, do it in a similar fashion but just place the thread in grow journals.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1