Aussie Laws

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Viol8r, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Australia's cannabis laws

May 23 2003

\t\t VICTORIA
    Possession of cannabis is a criminal offence, but first or second-time offenders with less than 50 grams may be cautioned.
    NSW
    Possession is criminal, but with less than 15 grams, offenders can receive up to two cautions.
    WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    Government plans to decriminalise possession of up to 30 grams or up to two non-hydroponic plants, but $200 fines will apply. First-time offenders are now cautioned.
    QUEENSLAND
    Possession is criminal, but adults may be cautioned. ACT Possession of up to 25 grams, or five plants, is not a criminal offence but carries a $100 fine.
    SOUTH AUSTRALIA
    Possession by adults of not more than 100 grams or one non-hydroponic plant is not criminal but carries fines of up to $150.

TASMANIA
    Possession is criminal, but offenders with less than 50 grams may be cautioned.
    NORTHERN TERRITORY
    Possession by adults of up to 50 grams or two plants is not criminal, but carries a fine of $100.
    - National Drug Research Institute Must be some other Aussies wondering about these ? :hello:

2. Umm are you an Aussie because that is a very old post(Oh now I look it says 2003 right on top lol)

Laws have changed a fair bit since then. But for some reason no one ever responds to my threads about aussie law changes. Guess they only give a shit about themselves. Makes me wonder why I spend time setting up proxies and voting to get MJ legalized in there country

3. yeah mate i an Aussie , i could not find any thing else on the laws . If you know of a new updated revision of the laws i would love to see them . btw Qld rocks

4. The laws in Western Australia changed in August. Now the penalities are:
    Possessing 10g or less will result in a mandatory education session.
    Selling a bong to an adult results in a fine of up to $50,000.
    Selling a bong to a minor results in a $120,000 fine and 2 years prison time.
    Growing any number of plants will now result in a $2,000 fine and 2 years prison time.

Western Australia used to have pretty good laws. Its such a shame that we are heading in the wrong direction, all because of the increase in meth labs being discovered. They decided to pick on the pot smokers so it looks like they are being tough on drugs.

5. selling a bong to an adult ,being adult a·dult
       [uh-duhlt, ad-uhlt] Show IPA
    adjective
    having attained full size and strength; grown up; mature: an adult person, animal, or plant.
    of, pertaining to, or befitting adults.
    intended for adults; not suitable for children: adult entertainment. is a $50000 fine fuck me !!! Yep pick on the pot smoker create fear where no fear is needed

6. last post did come out as intended lol

7. Oh and btw i guess you dont know what the currnt QLD laws are do you ?

8. No idea, sorry.

9. kirk - SPEWING - WA laws are horrible!! And I thought yours were the best??

2 YEARS?? Fuck me.

As far as I can tell, SA laws are as Viol said - one outdoor plant is ok...a no-conviction on the spot fine (if that).....1-5 outdoor is a conviction but still just a small fine (up to $1K) and then it starts getting serious. Indoor grows are punished hard and all paraphernalia is controlled.

Will have a look for QLD laws now Viol...they aren't easy to find, hey??

10. We should really stop reactivating this thread(I notice the irony) The laws posted here are not right in any way.

Yes they are all easy to find lol

11. ^ really? I'm having trouble!

Feel free to chuck up a couple of links Apu...one SA and one QLD would be great!

I've been working off this: CANNABIS PENALTIES

...kinda freaking out to hear this is not right in any way!!!

12. #12 Apu, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    Well it is not completely wrong just key points are left out, I overstated.

SA. possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, 20 grams of hash (the resin from the cannabis plant), one non-hydroponic plant or cannabis smoking equipment leads to a fine from $50 to $150 with 60 days to pay it. Which does become a criminal offense if not payed in the time.

QLD. possession of up to 50 grams of cannabis and you will be offered diversion. This is the only state in which diversion must be offered to a minor cannabis offender – elsewhere, it is up to the police officers whether or not they offer diversion or charge the offender. One diversion limit. So you get one chance then you will be charged.

My "completely wrong" statement was more directed at WA and Victoria.

13. Perfect! Thanks Apu.

Someone once told me there is a 'child exposure' clause in there as well

14. I got caught with a small amount of weed in qld and had to go to a 'mandatory education session', it was actually great, the guy at this place was lovely.

I had to watch some realllly old 90's video with some other stoner dude, he told me most of it had been discredited, but if you have underlying issues it can be really bad etc. psychological addictive potential and all of these other risks, he didn't bullshit.

Told my mum who was with me at the time, how tobacco is so much worse (she smokes it) which was like f-yeah.

Other than that, getting caught once is pretty smooth.

---

still when I used be very close to growers they were all in SA, so much weed down there, fuckin' everywhere.

15. Nice one Jaurk...real experiences are great to read about. Sounds like the mandatory education session is not too bad...lol, first time i heard the phrase i thought 'mandatory brainwash session'.

SA is not the weed capital it used to be imo

16. damn nsw laws are shit house, as long as its one plant and for myself only i think its a caution and or educational lesson thing.
    might end up moving to ACT just cause its fine their. once im older.

17. W.A. laws got changed for the worse, you can't even buy bongs here anymore. It's pretty much become criminalizes again and you don't just get a fine. It's so stupid because a huge percentage of our generation smoke weed and nearly all people see it on the same level as alcohol.

18. for me - more like coffee than alcohol....stupid, stupid law

bummer about WA, heard it was really good for a while, but now? 2 years for a plant or some shit like that. That's fucked up.

19. WA got really fucked over, I feel for them.
    They had it good for a while, but decrim wasn't working so they fucking made it a life ruiner.

Harsh.