Aurora Indica - I'm trying to figure out when to flower...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cropsy840, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hey everybody, I am a newbie here. I inherited an HPS light setup (400 watt) last year, and grew my first plant. Actually, my son started it on the back deck of my home, and it took off. It started to smell, and I didn't have the heart to make him kill it, so I setup a closet in my house to start flowering it. I lined the walls with Mylar, got an exhaust fan hooked up to carbon filter and vented it to my attic (I tend to go all in when I take on a project).

I ended up with a 5.5 ft plant that yielded just over 8 ounces... And whatever it was (didn't know the strain) was killer!

I decided to go a little bigger this year, and upgraded my light setup to a digital variable wattage ballast and 600 watt bulbs (MH for veg, HPS for flower).

I started 3 feminized AI seeds exactly 5 weeks ago (germinated them prior, and put them in soil 36 days ago). I am starting to get nervous about the space, because they are getting huge... Not too tall, but very bushy.

I am wondering if I should start them flowering now or if I can wait another week or so. Obviously I want the biggest yield I can achieve I'll post some pics and would love some advice. I don't know how much they will grow once they start to flower.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. These plants look great, you may decide to go with two next time, cause they are gonna double in size. I would flower now, getting used to the stretch and your space is a tricky skill. You need it though, I would flower now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I have some that tripled this time.

4. Will they double in height, or width, or both? I have plenty of room to let them get taller, but don't want them to choke their own light out as they grow wider.

Also, they are so bushy and the fan leaves are so big that not much light is getting into the middle of the plant. Is that a problem or should I remove some fan leaves?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Did you top them or anything? You have a lot of control over how they grow.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Both height and width. Mostly height for this strain. That is why I think next time you will likely do two. During flower I would start pulling fan leaves.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Defoliate, then switch to flower. If you where running 24 hours I would put them undee flower light for 18/6 for a few days to minimize stretching

8. Thanks. They have been on an 18/6 light schedule since the beginning. Should I cut them to 12/12 to initiate flowering? How much should I defoliate, and should I wait until I see visible signs of flowering? Sorry for being a pest, I just don't want to screw this up. My last (and only) plant was a sari a so much taller and more lanky. Much more distance between nodes.

9. By "sari" I meant sativa (darn autocorrect)

10. I cut of any big fan leaves that's blocking bud sites. Yes start 12/12 lighting, defolating goes based off what you feel comfrotable taking off. I defoliate 60% of my plant before flowering gives you nice full colas

• Like Like x 1
  11. About 12 days ago I FIMed them, but I'm not positive I did it right.

Attached Files:

12. I had the same problem with mine ,i had to ditch 1 plant because of room mine also were short but crazy bushy ,im now a week into flower and to be honest i could still do with more space ,your grow looks great btw✌

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I'd hate to have to ditch one of these beautiful girls, but don't want to risk them all by being greedy either.

Do you guys know if they can still thrive while touching each other and the walls on the outsides, or do they need to have space all around them?

14. Ive been told that the more space the better ,but in some cases its totaly not practical ,ive been rotating mine seems to be ok so far ,in An ideal situation id say for me 28 inches square per plant would be good but im currently only 32 inches for the 2

15. Okay, so I switched to a 400 watt HPS on the 24th, and kicked them into a 12/12 light cycle. I have been out of town since then, with my brother watering them for me (1/2 gallon each every day). I came back last night, but the lights were out already, so this is what I found this morning;
    [​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas? Are they so crowded they will all fail? The middle one had quite a few browning fan leaves at the lower half of the plant. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Oh, one more thing...
    While I was gone a 600 watt HPS arrived, so I installed that today.

17. 1462305307377.jpg also under a 600watt hps ,only 2 plants in 800mm x 800mm also running out of space

18. Those look beautiful. The only question is then, how to get light down to the inside areas of the plants (or if you even need to). I'm trying to decide if I need to start aggressively pruning fan leaves.

19. Im also interested in this ,first grow for me so unsure ... Good luck

20. [​IMG]
    So here they are at 9 weeks. 2 weeks into flowering and are still growing in height. They are about 6'3" (including 5 gallon bucket). I can't move the light up any more and am afraid the colas will get to close to the light.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1