Atheists with attitude

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by eome, Apr 16, 2002.

1. i got my own philosophy going. kinda like taking the good bits from everything and making it work. because of legal reasons, i'm going to have to label this philosophy as a religion (ik) at some time in the future.

if there was to be one rule to my "religion" it is to not force it down peoples throats.... to the point where it shall never even be writen... anywhere... ever!

i'll still give a big thumbs up to most buddists ;) agnostics, athiets or nihilists, cos as far as i see it... they are the only others not preaching their beliefs to everyone else in an attempt to have their way the only way or most popular way.

and a big slap on the back of yer wrists go to alotta christians and jahovas!

but whatever. we all just gotta live on this planet and not kill eah other... or at least wait until i have the technology to get the f*** of this crap heap of religion & war and find a better place for me and my friends... "Marklar" sounds nice (southpark fans will know wtf im on about).

Digit
    aka Spencer Gaudie

2. I don't think brow beating anyone is responsible. Nor do I think my objection to someone doing that to me weakens my beliefs in any way. Perhaps it makes me examine their way a bit more than I would have, but all it really does is turn me off to what they are saying.

I had the BIBLE shoved down my throat for 21 years, and am now realizing the fallacy behind a belief in a book that was written by men, over seen by the Catholic church, and in which Organized Religion is presented as the ONLY way to get to Heaven. It is their own personal membership "manual" on how to behave in accordance with their desires/wants.

3. I understand when people don't appreciate being told what to think, everyone has a right to their own opinions and beliefs. But how do people on this forum ever expect to change society's beliefs if this is the attitude you take? If you're not willing to sit down with a Jehovah's Witness and talk about your beliefs, how can you expect a brainwashed friend or family member to sit down with you to discuss the stupidity of the War on Drugs? You guys all do believe that pot should be legal, right? You do all agree that people who are against it are WRONG, right?

To me, accepting ignorance like this, all in the name of "freedom of thought" is bullshit. It's a cop-out. It's a way to justify not standing up for your beliefs. Of course the pot argument is different from debates about religion, in that it's pretty hard to prove that someone is wrong to belief in God, whereas a little bit of research will show that pot was made illegal arbitrarily and unjustifiably. The problem is that a lot of people treat the War on Drugs as just another issue that has no definitive right or wrong answer, just differing opinions.

I won't try to shove my opinions down people's throats. I won't tell people that they can't believe in God, because frankly, I don't think that someone believing in God is necessarily harmful to me. However, people believing that pot is a dangerous and harmful drug IS harmful to me, in that it justifies laws which make me a criminal. This is an issue that we need to stand up for, and we can't be worried that we're shoving it down people's throats.

4. You are right Otto, we have to be willing to share our views on pot, but "shoving" it at them in a forceful manner will just lower your credibility in their eyes.
    Pot is a touchy subject because you don't always know whether they are open to discussion, or if they are one of the sheep that believe what they have been told, with no discovery of the truth on their own.

5. I am nothing in terms of religion - but that's my choice. I've studied religion, but it just doesn't turn my crank. Anyway, I know all about being preached at for not going to church or reading the bible, or whatever. Someone is always trying to make me repent for my sins, I guess, though my only sins are living/having sex out of wedlock (oh no! lol) and smoking way too much pot - if that is possible.

I've got nothing against any religion, as long as you keep it to yourself. I used to be woken every fucking Sat. and Sun. by the JW's and the mormons. Why can't they take the hint after forever not getting through the door? My mom actually told the JW's that we were satan worshippers. They didn't come back after that!

HA HA - I completely forgot what I was talking about. Maybe I need another puff.....

6. The origional meaning behind the term "Pothead" was someone who is a constant marijuana smoker who feels he cannot perform or interact unless under the influence of this drug. It tied into the older propoganda claiming marijuana controlled people who were physically addicted to it. I know many older "potheads" who are deeply offended by that term because of its original connotation. If used in a non offensive way then its fine....but maybe if you switched some words around you'd better understand how it may offend others...

..."And I'm not sure why you would find the term "nigger" offensive, unless you yourself believe the stereotypes that racists promote. It would be much more productive to choose not to be offended because the word on its own is neutral-- it only has a negative connotation if you choose to read it that way."

..not to promote the idea that these two words are equally powerful when used, yet to some..they may be

7. Ok I get the point....but let's not forget that smoking pot is a choice and can't be compared to a racial epithet for that reason. But I agree the term is usually has a negative connotation. I merely meant to suggest that being too sensitive about things like that is not necessarily constructive.

Back to the topic...it seems most people don't like it when religion is shoved down their throats. There is a reason why churches send out boys in suits around the world to annoy you. Somebody is obviously letting these people into their homes and buying into their sales pitch. So those of us who favour legalization of weed, can we learn anything from these guys?

It seems to me that legalizing grass is going to be a huge challenge, because pot smokers have only common-sense and truth on their side, whereas the opponents have money, power, and a willingness to do things like knock on doors with their message. Just think about it: How many people have you converted from a "just say no" type, to a supporter of legalization? And how many people do you think have been converted by those boys in suits? It's a fairly safe assumption that every person who becomes a mormon or a JW is probably not going to support freeing the weed. So, in order to counteract the hard-sell tactics of the religions, not to mention the government, how can the weed movement succeed?

Anyone have a vision for how this is going to happen?

8. perhaps the best way to "get our message" out is to A)be more organized and B)follow the examples of those annoying little JW twits, door to door handouts.

Using one-liner fact statements, design some posters (we have plenty of talented artists on this board), and plaster them on the telephone poles at intersections, hand them out at the mall, put them on car windows, whatever you can do to get the message out there (please try to stay legal, committing an illegal act, publically, costs us all credibility).

Furthermore, the first step is to write EVERYONE which is elected to an office (ie. President, Governor, Congressmen, House Reps, State Reps, Mayor, Sheriff, ect) and voice your opinion. Be sure to do it in a respectful way, and that your message is concise and to the point.

Use the power we have, the power of the vote, and start telling people. Start a newsletter, and pass it around. There are plenty of head shops in this country, that corralling more like minded people shouldn't be too hard, but that depends on your area I guess....

Sorry... just my random thoughts! :)

9. The way I see it, legislation regarding marijuana is more than likely to become a huge issue in upcoming years. It seems that as the next generations of people move up into positions of power there will be changes made. If you look at Canada, they have changed their policy drastically and are currently in the process of deciding whether or not they should fully decrimininalize marijuana by the end of this year. Perhaps the United States will take the hint. Personally, I feel they are in denial of the fact that marijuana could actually help out our economy in a big way. Think of how easy it is to produce. Then think of how many stoners wouldn't care if they taxed it because they would still be getting it at a price cheaper than they ever thought possible and the quality would be guaranteed. The opposing arguments I have heard, have always been that it will never happen because there is too much corruption in public office. For example, people in positions of power letting drug shipments through and getting a large sum of money to do so. However, I feel that as the younger generations grow older and assume these positions, that we will see a change.

10. Kro you are right! I have noticed the trend also, and frankly I am glad to see it coming. I feel like someone trapped between two generations, for I feel like many of our young do, with is simply "Leave me alone, and let me live my life".

Our fight here in the states got a hand up when the UU's joined in the cry for decrimilization for the "moral" well being of Americans. With the "religious" world (at least a small portion) now on the side of reason, our fight will gain more credibility than it ever had in the past!

Keep up the good fight!

11. Hello Mayor, hello all, first time posting here...

It isn't just the Universalist Church that has came out againt the so called drug war.

To quote ABC News, "The Presbyterian Church (USA), the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends and the Progressive Jewish Alliance are among the groups that have lent their support to a call by the National Coalition for Effective Drug Policies to redirect efforts to curtail drug use."

That sounds to me like a decent sized group of people. I mean, its not like the catholic church came out on our side (which I think is the single largest denomination in the USA) but hey, it's a damn good start!