Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

at what point would a pothead be considered...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by double_frick, Jan 15, 2009.

1. a "heavy" smoker?
    like how much would one have to smoke in a day/week? lol
    just curious.
    i'm pretty sure i'm in the heavy smoker club...just want some clarification <3

2. 12.5 grams.

3. Every day i suppose

4. not a good question dude, a heavy smoker is different for everyone. i use to think blazing everyday was a lot, now i blaze everyday. i use to think blazing 4 times a day was a heavy smoker, now i dont.... i think you can see what i'm saying.

5. i know there have been other posts related to this topic...but i want a running conversation on it to get some updated opinions.

i am proud to call myself a "pot head" i call myself a "pot head" often, in fact, its probably the term i most often use when referring to myself with a label.
    does anyone else feel this way? because i've read similar posts and seems the consensus is that "pot head" has become a derogatory term. but is it derogatory like the "N" word? sure it may have a bad meaning to those unaffiliated with the weed subculture, but we should turn it around and use it like rappers use the "N" word. know what i mean? like instead of taking offense, let it be our proud label and a term we throw around at eachother along with other terms of endearment! <3

but we should definitely throw down when non-potheads use the term to insult us. not because of the term but because the intended INSULT.
    words are just that...so i don't see why anyone "pothead" or not should be offended or think that the term is derogatory--it is what you make it. just like any other terms...

6. Personally, I don't see any need for labels. I think who you are as a person is much more than being a 'pothead' or a 'stoner' or a 'jock' or any other label that gets thrown around. I can see how you would want a term to relate you to other smokers, but I think the way you're thinking of making 'pothead' into a word like the N word is an absolutely terrible idea. Why would you want to give people a derogatory word to call you, just because you choose to smoke?

7. i guess my point comes from another thread i was reading on the topic.

i don't think we should make it into a derogatory term...it either is or it isn't. from previous threads i get the impression that even weed connoisseurs see "pot head" as derogatory and i'm pretty sure NON-smokers see it as such. so i was just saying that instead of allowing it to become derogatory--or stay that way, i guess--we should be proud when someone tries ruffle feathers throwing that term around. i am.

8. smoking weed is something you do.
    not who you are.
    if you need to ask how much a "heavy" smoker smokes, you're searching for something.
    just enjoy the herb and kick back.
    you dont need to show off how much weed you smoke.

i blow trees all day every day, but its just something i do throughout the day.
    so chill out. blow a blunt and dont worry what people call you, or if they'll notice how COOL you are smokin weed.

9. I fucking HATE the term "pothead". It's so... negative.

Think of it this way. Drunk and alcoholic. Imagine a drunk in your head.

Take a second, say drunk out loud, and think about it.

More often than not, the image is of a fun, party guy, a loveable buffoon that people like and like to be around.

Now, alcoholic. Same process.

Pretty different, huh?

Do the same thing, but pothead and stoner.

It's a product of the War on Drugs propaganda. Pothead is a lazy burnout, someone who does nothing but smoke weed and has no aspirations.

Stoners, on the other hand, are a fun laid back bunch. Think Cheech and Chong or any of the hip TV personalities that identify themselves with the Mary Jane and are actually successful.

See? I urge you all, stop identifying yourselves as POTHEADS (better step: don't let yourself become a subject of a label, man) and please, if anything, say you're a STONER.

10. Why not label one's self (if you feel so inclined) as a "cannabis connoisseur?"

Read the prohibitionist propaganda. They love the term "pot head." It insinuates a lazy, unmotivated, morally corrupt waste of life. We know that is not the case.

"Marihuana" is a racist term. Do you use that? I try to avoid it in the interest of avoiding negative connotation, and, well, racism. ;)

11. I have to disagree. I believe that particular "proud to be a stoner" attitude is embarrassing. Furthermore, the question from your original post and your attitude towards the term "pothead" both are consistent with inexperienced smokers sorry.

12. As some of you others said, i agree. Pothead and stoner are kinda deragatory. I only think so because when people say them its like thats all that person is, nothing but a pothead..

I just like blazin everyday, im not a no good pothead. Im a happy unique individual that smokes weed whenever i want.

Heavy use=multiple times a day, sometimes exceeding 10.

13. i have no problem calling myself a stoner, pot head just sounds outdated

14. You've opened a can of worms now that you've brought up labels.

15. #15 garrison68, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    I guess it depends on the strength of the weed, medical conditions, etc. I used to be a fairly heavy Marijuana user, both recreational and medical, but have had to scale it back - partially due to lack of availability because I'm older than most pot users and can't get it as easily as I used to.

16. yeah it depends on how long you have been smoking, how much u know about smoking and related things... and how often of course

But IN MY OPINION a heavy smoker is some1 who smokes AT LEAST 1 TIME A DAY!

(4+ times a day for mah DEDICATED smokers)

17. well in studies you see the term "heavy smokers" and i guess i was more asking what exactly a "heavy smoker" is? usually the results of the study differ between "moderate" and "heavy" smokers, so in that case a clear guide as to what the difference in smokage between the two would be helpful.

18. you all are talking about labels but, "heavy user" is a label too. there is no definition for heavy user. but the best way i can define it is: somebody that smokes weed so much that it severely influences their life in a negitive manner. my opinion is that you're not a heavy user unless you put weed above everything else in your life.

19. Why is this even important? Smoking more or less doesn't make you cool, there is no club, it's just a plant that we use for various reasons.

20. Aw man these threads are pissin me off. I swear there is ATLEAST one of these a week.