Astronomy Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by knapptime18, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Hey guys, first time poster. I've been taking a college astronomy class and it's been super interesting to learn about all this stuff, especially after a couple of bowls. I noticed there wasn't an astronomy thread yet so I started one.

Do we have any astronomers or star gazers here? Feel free to post any pictures or links you might have.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah man, same kind of story here- I was always interested in the night sky, but taking a college course on it really helped to stimulate my interest in the field.

One of my favourite things I learned about was human eye night vision - how it takes about an hour for the eyes to fully adjust to darkness, and that the only type light on the visible spectrum that won't upset the night vision is red (so it's ideal for looking at sky and constellation maps without resetting that hour of adjustment). Which of course means not using computer/phone screens for star maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I'm a dogon :)

4. Welcome to the city blade! Not much into textbook stuff but I do truly believe when I'm watching the stars at night I watch them twinkle and dance at lease an inch across the sky an hour.

Also last week I was driving and looked up at what I figured was a jet stream and saw a large orange/reddish glowing ball roughly the size of my extended thumbnail coming directly down towards earth for 10 minutes from the top of the sky only to immediately vanish in a heartbeat right before my eyes!

Not sure wtf I saw but I'm still wondering if anyone else saw this.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Always liked star gazing if its nice outside. I also try to do astrophotography when I can. Always been fascinated with space and shit since i was little. My bedroom used to be decked out in spacey things too.

Heres one photo I took a while back
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cool to see that there's other people interested in that stuff here. I'm working on a research report on the findings of the Hubble telescope, it's some really cool shit. It really puts into perspective how tiny and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shit that is one beautiful shot. Makes me want to buy and restore that house just to live there.

8. Idk if you believe in supernatural at all, but it was windy when I took that... and when i fired my flash I could see thousands of little sparkles standing still in the air.