Assassinated in Paris: Three women found shot in the head and lying side-by-side in K

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Holy shit how is this possible? French gun laws are some of the strictest in the world. How could a criminal possibly have got a gun in France? Thats illegal! It just does not make sense.

Too bad these women were not carrying or they might have stood a chance against the assassin.

2. You just love twisting news for your own agenda huh?

3. Wow man I don't know where you think you are but this is a politics forum. Everyone has an agenda, thats politics. You would not be complaining if I "twisted" this to fit your communist fairyland agenda. BTW twisted is the wrong word, I posted a news story and I commented on it.

But on topic. Show me how France's gun laws helped these women?

4. Wait...Guns were illegal?

How on earth did they get shot then?

This is preposterous.

5. I don't believe anything was twisted.

He posted an arrticle about people being shot. Then used it as evidence of gun control not working.

Its called making a rational argument and backing it up with sources.

6. "You would not be complaining if I "twisted" this to fit your communist fairyland agenda"
    What a assumption.

We don't fully understand the circumstances yet, for all we know they went through the obstacle course of hell to acquire their own firearms. I agree though that I shouldn't be so brash.

"But on topic. Show me how France's gun laws helped these women?"
    They didn't. but france has a 3.00 death rate compared to our 10.2, so I think it's helping some people. But for all I know that info could be wrong and I'm not against owning guns,.

7. #7 Malvolio, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
    I'm pretty sure a paid assassin is capable of getting a gun no matter what country he is in, so this is a pretty weak argument. If you tried to use this as evidence of the failure of gun laws in a piece of academic work you would be laughed at.

In fact, gun laws are completely irrelevant in this case. Had no gun laws been in place, and all three women been carrying guns (unlikely) I very much doubt that they would pose any threat to a professional.

Define rational

8. I think james is puttin us on, guns aren't legal in France. What sort of fuckery is this?

9. Rational means providing a thesis. Then supplying a premise (evidence supporting thesis) then forming a conclusion that can be drawn from the premises.

Example of rational logic.
    Premise 1: my car is wet
    Premise 2: the sky is cloudy
    Conclusion: it rained

Example of irrational logic.
    Premise 1: the lawn is green
    Conclusion: it rained

In the second example a conclusion was drawn with little to no evidence supporting the claim. The lawn obviously got water because its green. But there could have been sprinklers.

Also Google "logical fallacy"

Ad hominem
    Red Herring
    Straw man

These are examples of arguments that are irrelevent to discussion designed to distract one from the evidence

10. Having considered your definition of rational, I have concluded that James's argument was not rational.

11. Premise 1: people were shot in France
    Premise 2: France has strict gun control
    Conclusion: gun control doesn't work

Its a rational argument where the provided premise leads to Tue conclusion.

Don't confuse rational with correct. A rational argument simply means to provide evidence for a claim and that the claim actually can be derived from the evidence

Sorry if my lawn example was bad :(

12. There's no confusion, just change the first premise:

Premise1: Three women professionally assassinated in France
    Premise 2: France has strict gun control
    Conclusion: Gun control doesn't stop state-sponsored professional hitmen from getting guns (no kidding)

And no, the claim was not derived from the evidence. The claim was reached first and the evidence was found suit it (badly).

13. #13 Aries the Frog, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
    Really ?
    The National Enquirer would be ashamed of this thread.:eek:

Wake up call time. People get whacked in every country in the world. This was a professional hit. There is a story here that will surface with time. Stop trying to make it about guuuuunnnnns and laws regarding same please.

14. You make a valid argument.

I only meant to imply "rational" doesn't mean "correct"

15. aaaaAAAAND WE'RE OFF AGAIN FOLKS!!!!!!

16. Do you guys think Turkey had a hand in this?

[​IMG]

17. I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, has made the claim that gun control will prevent 100% of gun crime. That IS an irrational argument.

How about...

Premise: France has strict gun control compared to the U.S.
    Premise: France has a dramatically lower rate of gun deaths compared to the U.S.
    Conclusion: Gun control can help to reduce gun violence.

Do you think this is irrational?

18. Is that Pinocchio ? :)

19. [quote name='"Penelope420"']

I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, has made the claim that gun control will prevent 100% of gun crime. That IS an irrational argument.

How about...

Premise: France has strict gun control compared to the U.S.
    Premise: France has a dramatically lower rate of gun deaths compared to the U.S.
    Conclusion: Gun control can help to reduce gun violence.

Do you think this is irrational?[/quote]

I think that's totally rational but when ever we talk about gun laws preventing violence we need to look up all violent crime before and after the laws were put up. Most people don't or won't listen and is the cause of many gun debates IMHO

20. ^ Even then other factors would have to be accounted for. I'm not a researcher/scientist but coming up with a definitive answer seems quite difficult...if it's even possible imo.