Ask a Street Artist anything!

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by hockeyman07, May 6, 2011.

1. By handstyles do you mean using free hand to create a piece, or freehand to write ones name?

When creating any type of art/picture etc..freehand is a show of skills! To pull off stunning piece

2. If you are really as interested in 'street art' as you say you are, then you should also take some time to research graffiti history as well. Much like how photographers should become familiar with painting techniques. It is arguable that without the graffiti movement of the eighties you wouldn't be producing this art today, so pay respect to the background that you're coming out of.

That being said, handstyles are what you call tags. A handstyle can also be a persons particular style of script. You said that "No style is throwing up your tag name/gang onto neigborhood walls. Not sure what you define writters as..", which makes me assume that you think that tags can not be an artform in there own right or that they do not show style. It also shows me that you don't know much about graffiti, which is a bummer, because it is essentially the reason why your artform exists.

These are good examples of what handstyles can look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, you're right - these obviously aren't stylized whatsoever, and show no commitment towards a progression in style or artistic ability.

3. Good examples and pictures Colt!

I do not mean to say I don't think graffiti is art, because I do to an extent. All those names do have a certain artistic quality. Where I differ is that I feel graffiti is just putting ones name up, in some fashion. Yes it can be done artistically as you posted, but I believe that is more for personal recognition that artistic ability.

I did a research paper on graffiti/street art so yes, street art has resulted from graffiti...I just personally believe it is more an expression of societies views/issues..:p
    [​IMG]

4. Regular Graffiti and what this guy does is completely different but nonetheless it is still Art. I mean I do Graffiti, I catch tags everywhere I go whenever I can. But yeah what I am trying to say is that its all Art so just let people get creative their own way.

For me Graffiti is a way to get away from everything. I don't care what people think about it I just do it and if you don't like it then fuck off lol.

5. Wouldn't it be much more enjoyable and pleasing to illustrate beautiful & creative images, such as the little girl on the previous page. While still 'getting away from everything' :smoke:

6. #47 drummerjb1995, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Go on artprimo.com. bombingscience.com or 33third.com. all graffiti suply stores.

7. #48 Slurms McKenzie, May 17, 2011
    Fuck that corporate shit
    Everything you buy there you can make yourself for a fraction of the price (except maybe the HIGH quality cans and tips) but like mops and shit can be done by yorself

8. #49 Meh423, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Kiwi shoe polish mops lol, you can get that all from wal-mart.

Yeah I would love to do that, but for some reason I haven't done that YET. Lol

9. #50 JETLIFE175, May 18, 2011
    Shit. Freeway. No caution lane. Los angeles. Roller. Nothing more needs to be said. Hahahahahahha.

10. haha people don't seem to get that "vandalism" as art has been a staple in historic storytelling since the beginning of mankind and it's here to stay. goodluck telling that caveman what he's doing to someone else's rock is immoral, because it's basically the same premise.

[​IMG]

11. #52 JETLIFE175, May 18, 2011
    KILROY WAS HERE. Another graffiti tag. Worldwide recognition.

12. true, but what if you only took the wall for whatever color it was, not really giving a shit to aesthetics or the like. something painted on it, especially this, would be a vast improvement. its hard to say, but more likely than not people dont think about the way things look, or dont know what to do about it. leave it for artists to guide everyone in that respect. have a little faith in people.

13. this isnt mines but its one of the coolest things ive seen

[​IMG]

14. love that ^

15. Wow I've never seen that before that is AWESOME. Love it!! Creativity :hello:

16. its not graffiti though ^^ not even spray can art

17. #58 Slurms McKenzie, Jun 7, 2011
    What defines graffiti?

18. #59 JETLIFE175, Jun 7, 2011
    Technically to non participants graffiti is defined as any unwanted mark, scratch, or scrawl on property.

To us graffiti writers, there's a big difference between graffiti writers and street artists. You would have to be immersed in said culture to truly understand the dynamics.

19. i used to bomb hard in ny almost fell off a bridge then about a week later i got bagged got out of it cus the owner settled out of court for the damage and that when i just started piecing like on paper lol havent bombed in so long