Ask a dog trainer

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Irie67, Jul 3, 2012.

1. LOL this made my day. :hello:

2. I always have some training treats in my pocket (yeah, I know :) ) NeWay, the other day I'm waiting for my dog, there is a 3 month old lab (poor thing had eye problems) sitting right next to me in the waiting room. I asked the lady if I could give her dog a small chicken treat and she said ok.

It took me all of like 30 seconds to teach her to 'touch my hand' and 'look'. It was pretty funny, the other people in the waiting room were like :eek: She actually was a pretty smart little puppy

3. I don't have a problem with using treats to train. I have a problem with one sided trainers who rip people off all because they 'don't want to be mean'. Dog walks away untrained and the trainer who claims to have better morals than I still takes your money even though he sucks at his job. A real trainer does whatever it takes to fix theproblem. that's why they pay me.

I carry beef liver in my pocket and use it for training purposes often.

4. hi irie, my dog has had diarrhea for 4 days and i am quite worried. going to take a stool sample to the vet. Dog only weighs 4 pounds but she feels lighter now :-(

5. 4 days is a long time.

boiled rice and boiled chicken.

keep pushing water, fluids are critical.

Vet is good idea.

6. I agree with YGF. also use probiotics and try to figure out what caused the diarrhea.

7. I agree with YGF. also use probiotics and try to figure out what caused the diarrhea.

8. Not really sure where to ask this question but I sure as hell learned my lesson. I had my Husky on a harness and 15 foot locking leash and well we came across this rabbit and I had the bright idea to unlock the leash and let her have a little fun to see if she could catch it. I knew the rabbit was faster but I digress.

So mid-thought I realize she picked up so much momentum and I either had to hold my grip or let go and well I held on with both hands and my body just got rocked. Felt like my arms were going to burst from their sockets.

I caught my breath, we finished our walk and I even did 15 push-ups just to see if anything hurt and nothing noticeable.

Should I be on the look-out for a particular injury? I was thinking maybe whiplash but like I said nothing hurts at the moment and I sure as hell learned my lesson. Thanks.

9. a husky on a harness with a retractable leash? Lol

10. I will answer this soon. I'm not ignoring you I'm just busy

11. I see a regular chiropractor because I often take hits very similar to this. I have taught myself how to brace for the hit however.

12. With a puppy, I get sit down on the ground, put a big smile on my face, clap my hands, get all excited and start calling-- puppy, puppy, puppy, whatever it takes to get them to me. Then, the absolute moment they come - it's liver city :p.

If you spend 3 or 4 minutes several times a day, it will take you one day to teach this.

Training gets frustrating for both you and the dog. The moment frustration sets in, stop and take a nice break.

Working As One

13. Well she pulls like crazy on her walks and just having the normal collar worried me that I would hurt her neck by pulling back, especially when she goes after other dogs/etc. Unfortunately getting the harness seems to have given her more pulling power.

The retractable leash said up to 70 lbs and the 15 feet helps with the constant tugging.

The only thing I noticed today was my back was a little sensitive but no pain. Damn I could not imagine taking hits like this on the regular. Are there breeds that pull harder on lead than Huskies?

14. Teaching a puppie is usually pretty easy to teach come. Especially if they like treats.

Rub the treat on your hand to get the scent of the treat on your hand. Hold the actual treat in your other hand behind your back. Present the scented hand. When the dog sniffs, he will touch his nose to the spot that smells like the treat. When you feel the touch say good boy and give the treat that was behind your back. This will teach him that your hand is a treat button. The treat is not shown to the dog, instead it is presented after he touches his nose to your hand. Repeat until the dog understands and is readilly volunteering the behavior, then get up and move 5 feet away. Again present that hand. The dog will most likely move towards you so that he can touch the treat button/hand. Keep moving away in small distances and presenting that hand.

After you have a dog coming to you when you present the hand every time, you want to introduce the word, come. As the dog is moving towards you, say the word come. This will associate the word with the action that he already knows. Repeat 1000s of times.

If taught from a young age like this, this method will work really well for you.

NEVER, EVER punish your dog after he comes to you

15. The harness was invented for huskies in the antarctic for sled dogs. It gives the dog more power. If you want to control the body, you have to control the head. This means a collar around the neck. For me, i prefer the pinch collar for strong pullers. Yes it will cause a pinching pain, but you will be able to prove your point quickly and you can keep a loose leash and he and you can enjoy your walk.

Retractable leashes. ugh. pet peeve. Sorry. You need more control than this. This is why you got hurt. You gave all the power to the dog and then gave her prey to chase. Your girl got a fifteen foot head start because you used a retractable. Do yourself a favor and invest in a pinch collar and a quality 6 foot leash. Cloth is fine, but leather is best.

Pit bulls, labs, huskies. All strong dogs that pull hard. There are many more. Most dogs do pull untill taught otherwise

16. Great tip!!
    We recently taught our puppy to come using natural peanut butter. We had a couple of 'stations' in the house with some pb in a baby food jar...we'd call him and if he came he got a tiny bit of peanut butter on the tip of a finger. He looooved the peanut butter, so if we called his name and said come here he'd come running from another room ;) Now he comes running 'just in case' he gets a treat (we give him one occasionally...but not every time anymore) because he never knows when he's getting one ;)

17. There are some... pitbulls for one but any large breed dog can pull your arms outta the sockets! Huskies with harnesses.... thats what they use to pull dog sleds. You dont wanna use a harness for a husky unless you got one with a ring on the FRONT! Make sure it fits right so it doesnt irritate them. The ring shouldnt have too much give in it. The purpose is to pull them around back to face you when they try to pull you forward, and of course you MUST be ready for the pull! Good luck! Oh and dont forget those treats!

18. Hey everyone, I havent been around for a while. Been training Theo my little "bastard"... and you KNOW I say that with much love and affection! The girls are beating the crap outta him and he damn well deserves it and goes back for more too! LOL His training is going great though. Its only been 3 1/2 months and he has come a long way. You know, I thought he was 3, so they told me but when I got him fixed, the doc said he was maybe a year and a half! So I had my work cut out for me. I wasnt expecting a puppy. But its all working out pretty well. Thought I'd pop in and see whats new and how are all of you??? Hope the new year is being good to everyone. Got my Doctors Letter for Medical Jane! No dispensaries yet but still, good news! Will try to pop back in soon. The little "bastard" keeps me real busy but since he is getting better, I will have more time to hang out on the pc. Take care everyone!

19. This little girl keeps pulling..trained her wen i moved back home..my mom got her and they didnt fucking train her at all. She needs two things

1. Stop pulling..I walk her the most...I generally do anything to keep her from pulling..walk the other way,quick yank on the leash. I admit she isses me off at times cause she chokes herself.
    Im gonna buy a pinch collar 2morro any suggestions.

2. She isnt trained to be off the leash..somewhere along the line my lazy ass teen sister would barely walkher..or just walk her till she did her business then come back in. So when she goes outside she just goes sniff wild and wants to do her own shit... Im trying to trajn her so I can taker her to a park and let her run around but also come back.

At this point..she'll run off and not stop until she gets tired. Love the girl..its my moms fault..single mom with my lazy ass younger siblings. She barely has the energy to disicpline them too..she shouldnt have gotten a dog.

My girl is mixed pit,lab, and mom says some type of terrier? TShe is a rescue..her mom was hit by a car and her litter were found in an ild garage.

Im in unemployment so rite now I have the time to dedicate to her. Some clown told me to get a shock collar but I dont know..dont wanna hurt my girl.

Attached Files:

20. #560 Your Grandfathe, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
    It was a warm early spring/summer Sunday afternoon 74 at 3:00pm. We were under and between 2 very old oak trees on a bit of nice green grass.

My faithful and loyal Rottweiler Dexter, his Mom (who was his job to protect)were gathered in this pretty nice spot given the conditions.

I held Dexter's head in my hands, thinking damn this is nothing under this other than bones, and looked deeply into his eyes, we made a connection. I told him that we loved him very much and that he was a very, very good boy, and that it was ok.

I saw the light go out of my dog's eyes as the fluid coursed thru his fraile body.

RIP Dexter
    May 5, 2013
    God Speed Dex, God Speed.