Ask a dog trainer

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Irie67, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Folks, when the time comes that our sweet pets pass away, if you have to make the choice to help them across the bridge, you have to stay with them when they go. Some folks let the vet do the hard work for them, but IMO, The phrase "easy on the owner" does not apply in this circumstance. When the time has come that god is going to take them away, you have to stay with them. They will be scared and will need your support. They will want to show you, in their last breath, exactly how much you meant to them. They deserve your love and your support. You do not want to add abandonment to the list of emotions that they are feeling at that moment. Sorry, jsut thinking a little deeper about a good friend this morning

2. My husky does that too! I think its just attitude!!! LOL

3. I've been there with all my "kids" at the end and I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. I tell them its okay and everything will be just fine and I will see them again very soon, so have a good time and I will find them when its my time and dont worry they will be just fine and God will take good care of them til I get there. And then when they are gone I cry my eyes out and wish I had more time with them. :( But still, I know that they are pain free finally and I will see them again, just like I told them. :) We will be one big happy family one day. :D

and sometimes, they come back..... :) had more than one come back in another pet!

4. In 1987 I had a female cockatiel that was a prolific breeder, she threw one clutch and then another. The first clutch went fine, but about half way thru the 2nd clutch she abandoned the nest. We were able to save one, but he had lost circulation in his legs and they were deformed, think flat feet. Avian vet told us at the time, that he would live but have special needs and maybe we should think about putting him down. I told to vet: "look my wife is crying and so let's pretend this is the President of the United State's bird."

NeWay, we finished raising him by hand. He was the 7th bird that hatched, so he was named #7, or Lucky #7 given his rough entry into the world. Seven turned out to be a male, and like most males had the soul of a clown. He could belt out the Andy of Mayberry Theme song perfectly. Also, he would break into some great jazz licks. He had the tone for the answering machine down flat. I would often look at the machine to see there were no messages but rather he was messing with me.

Last night at 8:20pm, our little 1 ounce cockatiel of 25 years passed. He was in my wife's hands, I know he was comfortable and happy. He just stopped breathing. I had to close his eyes.

#7 was around schutzhund rottweilers from the day he hatched out of the egg. He outlived 3 of them. I used to say that he thought he was a rottweiler in a cockatiel suit. When the ground thaws, he will be buried in a wooden box with his favorite bell, toy and some bird seed by a young linden tree we planted last summer.

It is always hard to go thru times like these but we take solice and comfort from the joy these animals bring into our lives.

Here's a video of him tweeting away in the background while Jr. protects Bob Barker.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDTxDGk4uc"]Automatic Go. - YouTube[/ame]

5. I'm so sorry YourG. :(
    Even with the pain (and we've been through some big losses...one recently) I can't imagine life without critters sharing it. Feel real sorry for the folks that don't know that.

Jr. had it right too....that crazy with the flailing arms looked pretty threatening to me too ;)
    Thanks for sharing the video.

6. YGF,
    Very sorry to hear about your friend. He certainly had a long life. Im sure that he lived the best life a bird could live.

7. Awww, sorry Your Grandfather. Its sad. I had birds too and baby birds as well. They were only parakeets but I loved them too. My Baby (that was his name)... was abandoned by his mom too. I raised him and taught him to fly... I am smiling and remembering him now that you have made me think of that time during my life. Thank you. I am sorry for your loss. xoxoxo

8. Dead thread :(

Miss you Irie!

I have so much I want to talk to you about lol, I understand you're a busy guy though.

9. Dead thread but its worth a shot.

I have two dogs. One is a deaf mutt that is super friendly, I've had her for 7 years (shes about 15lbs). The other is an Amstaff (1yr old, 60lbs) that I rescued a few days ago, this dog is AWESOME. He's so calm, submissive, and he is a quick learner.
    My problem is now that the dogs are comfortable with each other they are starting to play like nipping each other etc. They were playing yesterday and the Amstaff nipped the small dog and she screeched. She wasn't hurt and she wanted to keep playing. I didn't Punish the amstaff because he didnt do it on purpouse, and he let go immediately. However I don't want to take a chance and see the small dog get hurt.
    So What should I do? I don't let them play like that anymore, but I play more tug of war with the Amstaff.

10. I like dogs. Dogs are cool. I got 2.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gxYkDPqDQk]"I Like Dogs" - YouTube[/ame]

11. I cant wait to move out of my apartment and get a place that I can smoke in and have a dog.

12. Hey folks! sorry to be away so lonng. This is a good question.

Usually I say, if there is no yelping to let it go. no big deal.

Next, Id say, If it was a 'yip', but they went right back to playing, still no big deal.

If there is blood, stitches, vet bills, human hospital bills = big deal

Dogs use sound to communicate sometimes. When your dog yelped, he told the other dog it was too hard of a nip. More than likely, the dog that nipped will learn that the other dog is sensitive and he will lesson his force on the next round of play. This is kinda how they figure each other out as well as figure out their own strength. Let it go. You'll be fine

13. Howdy friend. post here or send me a pm.

14. Any of several diseases caused by certain yeastlike fungi, esp. blastomycetes

I hope your not experiencing this my friend

15. Long ago I made a conscious decision to only use local vets for triage until I could get my pet to the University. Reason I did this was because I lost a dog, who could have been saved, but by the time we ascertained the problem - it was too late. IMHO, most vets are experimenters. They will say stuff like: "If this doesn't work in 7 days then we will try this..."

NeWay my pooch jumped off bed and walked into my office holding his paw. Thought he sprained it, 2 days later there being no improvment, off to the University of Wisconsin. Unable to image the wrist using x-rays so CATscans were done. Sure enough, he broke (slab fracture) one of the small bones in his wrist.

The Dr's at the Univ asked me if they could perform additional test to see if they could determine the underlying cause. Rottweilers oft get bone cancer in the legs and the concern was cancer had affected the broken bone (otherwise, how would a small bone like that break without major trauma). Pathology came back negative for cancer. Dr wasn't happy with pathology report not giving her the real cause, and asked to do further tests........ Blasto ! :eek:

Back to the imaging department and imaged all of the organs, brain and complete ocular exam. Bad news, one spot was found in his lung but nothing in any other organs. Prognosis - better than 90% complete recovery when found this early (which they told me is highly unusual, The internal medicine Dr. told me when the dogs get to him they are normally already 'horizontial' and life expectancy is measured in days/weeks.

So, I've got a sick pooch with a splint on his leg (that has to be changed every 5~7 days by a vet only) for the next 6 weeks and also a regeime of a drug to kill off the fungus which might take up to the early fall to remediate. Literally I have a team of Dr's helping me to heal my dog, words can't describe the comfort it brings to me to be able to reach out to any number of pro's.

Here's the rant part: - Over the years I've heard a bunch of shit about why I drive all the way to the University for my dog care. I do this for the same reason people come here to GC -- To Learn. People here and at the University are focused. Farmers and Vet's are doing their jobs as well as they can, but certainly don't possess (generally speaking) the focus. It was this focus on finding the underlying cause that gave me the opportunity to save my dog. The next time you are at your vet, ask him a hypothetical. If you presented your dog with the same conditions as mine, how deep would he (or you) go to ascertain what caused it? Or, would the vet, splint the dog up and send you on your way to come back in a a week to 10 days?

<phew> it could have been way, way worse. :)

16. YGF, Great that you caught this. Scary stuff. Glad your boys gonna be ok. Hope the meds arent too hard on him. Im sure he'll heal up just fine. Them rotties are strong.

I can definitely see your point about the university. I am a big fan of holistic vets. They are very expensive though and its a good drive for me to visit one. I argue too much with traditional vets. They try to tell me that nutrition doesnt matter because we have a pill for that and they push their vaccines on me year after year after year when they know damn well that the dog can stay fully vaccinated for many years after the first year of shots. They're just taking your money. Then they sell the bullshit Science diet cd/zd prescription diet. Crock of shit. Hypo-allergenic dog food they call it. They have scientifically removed the allergens. hmmmm. Feed RAW. Thats how you remove allergens. You dont need science for that. Sorry rant. Traditional vets do have the ability to permorm wonderful medicine, but I wish they'd get on board with some more traditional methods.

17. So my got a pitbull/terrier...looks like pit/labador for some reason smh...

But my mom and my younger siblings weren't ready and this girl is spoiled...I got out the military and moved bsck home and im tryna get her disciplined.

After about she doesn't justpiss and shit when she wants..she lets us know. I'm tryna do my best but it sucks cause you got my lazy ass sister who just wantsto text all day, and my little bro who if he walks herwill let her run off. Im afraid the dog isgonna turn into a complete wild mess when I leave.

My biggest problem is lease training...I trained her to sit before we walk..I have to time to wait until she sits until im satisfied to let her outside. She'll pull on the lease until she chokes smfh. She'll start sniffing sofucking much she'll try to pull me like i'm her bitch. I love the little mess but she is pissing me off with her lease training. Also i'll take her to a spot to take a poop and she'll squat..then get up look around, and sniff like she found gold.

Is this cause she's stressed out? Maybe isn't used to someone who doesn't just want to cuddle with her in the bed, but teaching her good behavior? Also my uncle said that when they are pups so are supposed to letthem outside without a lease.

I'm just ranting cause my mom is pissing me off..im not getting he support and ive told her this, and I didn't even pay for the dog. I'll put her in the cage for misbehavior...(going outside and sniffing around for 20mins instead of pissing) and my mom will start whining about "why my dooty-but in the cage for..she cold"....then Butterscotch..(her name) will start shivering...

SMH..females are causing stress..canine and human smh...I guess this post is..Doesn't it piss you off when people get dogscause they look cute, but don't realize they are smart as fuck but need guidance like children.

If you want a fucking pet to look cute and cuddle with, but don't want to train them, get a damn cat...

18. They have to call them dog parks because 'disease ridden canine fight clubs' doesn't roll off the tongue.

19. I cant help you with your family problems or your inconsistancies. But, if you read this thread there is lots of info on how to leash train your dog. First of all, buy a pinch collar. Make her wear it snuggly.