Ascent vs Solo, which one takes the crown??

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by montrealvaporizers, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Ok here it goes: Since solo is still considered one of the best portables (if not the best) on the market today, how does it match up against the new davinci ascent? I ask this question because I have yet to try the ascent and honestly it intrigues me. I know there were some initial problems with it but that should be fixed now right? Anyways for anyone who has given the ascent a legitimate shot, how does it match up against the solo? Which one would you pick?

Speculating here. Would you like something that you can pack and put in your pocket for the whole day or something that will be more efficient? Both will give tasty hits and both will give thick hits, but one has an internal bowl and one has a traveling stem (you can pack more than one stem, you can't pack more than one Ascent ;))

(Solo owner)

3. #3 Rezerg, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
    As an owner of both, I go for the ascent for personal use and solo for when people come over. Why? Because I don't want them staying forever lol. A full bowl on the ascent last about 30 min or a little more when fully packed. Its not like its hard to refill.... carry a pouch you can store materials in and just refill it. When I want to get completely blasted, I go for the ascent. If I want to still be manageable without the complete euphoric effect (unless I refill it 5 times) and not all sluggish then the solo is it. Get a ryot pack for it and you shouldn't have any worries about packing or whatever that guy was talkin about above me.

Personal favorite by far is the ascent

It vapes evenly so no stirring, but comes with one in case you want to.
    It has a large bowl so I don't need to refill a ton of times.
    Battery life is about the same as the solo. 3 hours give or take

the bad is if you want to vape less at a time then you'll want to buy glass flowers so the heat will stay inside and give you the same vapor production you'd get from a tightly packed bowl.

Which one do you personally like though? I'm assuming the solo lol...

5. Judging by Lweins review (and I hold his opinions on vaporizers highly) I wouldnt say that the solo is any more efficient than the ascent is. 

I havent tried the ascent yet but I would be willing to ditch the solo just to try one. 

Upon further reflection, I think the Solo is more efficient.    The Ascent is primarily a conduction based vape, and as such, it is constantly cooking your herbs, much like the Pax does, both as it's reaching the temp you pick, as well as between hits, and as well as when it is cooling down.   With the Solo, you can take your bud that is in the glass stem out of the vape after each hit, much like you would when using the wand on an LSV and as such, you are only applying heat when you're hitting it, thereby increasing the efficiency.

7. I was just judging your usage vs my usage in the solo for that conclusion. I may be part of a minority that finds the solo to be pretty inefficient even with a screen in the bowl.  Maybe my standards for efficiency are just be stretched to far lately. 

8. #8 Rezerg, Nov 9, 2013
    does anyone really take their glass out of their solo after a hit? Where would you put it. I use pvhes stems and a solo bowl last about 4 hits. I would say its more efficient because it finishes the herb faster, not cooking any excess. The ascent has a cool down as well, but if you draw on it when turned off until no more vapor is present, then I'd say the efficiency would be about the same for both.

That isn't the case however since the bowl size, loads are different size and can't really be comparable without a ton of math. At most, we can speculate that the solo conserves more simply for the fact of a smaller bowl. However, the theory that taking the glass out doesn't seem sound. First, the glass is still hot, so it is cooking a smidgin so you are losing material. Second, you have to reheat the material back up to vapor temp before its viable again and to do this would mean losing a bit more material to the reheating process.

Either way, the simple  outcome is that the solo is more efficient if not solely for the purpose of the smaller bowl.

After using a PD as my daily driver for over 4 years, I don't think anyone's standards  of efficiency could be stretched further than mine.  ;)

10. TBH I agree with the first sentence. I never take my solo stem out in between hits, but when I use it im constantly hitting it. Unlike something like the LSV, like Lwien referred to, that I would take hit and then wait a while for another one. 

I get a lot of hits off of the solo but I have a hard time because none of the hits are equal in comparison with a desktop vape so it takes me a lot of hits to get high. So while I may be able to get 20-30+ hits off a solo with a regular stem, I dont really find it worth it. 

I wish I could of got to try one of the older log vapes. From what I understand the newer ones have traded in some of the efficiency to be able to produce thicker hits, but I may be wrong on that. 

11. Google PVHES stem by planetvape. It takes the draw out of the equation for the most part and you can get clouds like you want, but like I said, you'll get maybe 5 hits like that.

12. #12 Yosh139, Nov 9, 2013

I don't have experience with the Ascent so it would only be speculating, but I think the Solo fits my needs better because there's a separate stem rather than having the stuck in bowl. It allows for multiple stems and multiple stealthy vapes if you wanted to pull a stem out pre packed and use another one for later.

I don't, I just leave it in. Very minimal vapor escapes it's negligible.

Edit:

The draw resistance is there for a reason. I don't want to mess with it.

13. #13 Rezerg, Nov 9, 2013
    Sorry, that post was for potatohead about draw resistance.

On a side note. A solo is like the easiest thing to reload. You can literally just open a pill case of pre ground bud, dip it in and its refilled. I don't get carrying more than one stem lol . If you want to think that way then the ascent comes with oil jars that you can use as an easy swap out. They are pill shaped canisters you can stuff full and dump out when needed, but again... carrying a little pill bottle or pouch would be so much faster and easier to refill than having to worry about having extra glass on you, clanking or breaking. It just doesn't seem the best management of time to refill it.. or money.

How are you going to pre pack a solo stem? I assume you put some kind of cap on it. If its reusable, that means you have to store it. OR, you could just dip it in the pill bottle and refill it. Am I losing something in translation?

14. #15 DiabolicalJoker, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    Wouldn't that be just as the same as lifting a stock stem up just a little to add airflow?

I've found that once the stem is packed, the material stays put.  I can flip the thing all around and only a speck will come out.  But when traveling with mine I do cap it with one of the black battery caps that came with my MFLB.  I have a shortened stem that adapts to my water tube.  It can fit into my fifth pocket easily.  I could carry 5 of those things around.

That's the one thing I can't get over with FC.  The threads are too damn long.   

And to stay on topic, kinda:  I love my solo.  I was planning to get an ascent, but I didn't believe they were ever going to release it.  I might get one later, but I'm going to wait I see more reviews.

15. You gotta experience the stem but no, its nothing like lifting the stem at all not even like 1% . Check out fuckcombustion.com . There is like a 800 page forum thread just for them.

And why not just dip it in your small daily bring along container instead of carrying extra glass?

16. I have a wide range of stems for the solo including a PVHES. Most of the non stock bowls seem to make the solo even more inefficient which is something im not very interested in.