Artemis _ Andy Weir

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Vee, Jan 3, 2018.

1. #1 Vee, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    slammed Seveneves now I power thru another Andy Weir book,whose debut novel, The Martian,

I finished just before the movie came out...did the same with Seveneves too ....bummer

but is always best.. movie being the lazest!

[​IMG]
    Artemis plot:
    Jasmine "Jazz" Bashara is a citizen of Artemis, the first city on moon. Working as a porter (delivery girl), Jazz also smuggles contraband into Artemis to make enough money to survive in the expensive city. Wealthy Trond Landvik lives with his sixteen-year-old daughter, Lene, who was rendered unable to walk in a car accident on Earth but can move around on crutches in the weaker lunar gravity. Planning to extend his business by taking over Sanchez Aluminum, Trond offers Jazz a life-changing sum of money to help him. Sanchez is a company on moon that extracts aluminum from anorthite rocks, a process which requires 80% of the electricity from Artemis' nuclear reactors but provides the city's entire oxygen supply as a by-product. Jazz accepts the mission, which is to sabotage Sanchez's anorthite harvesters so that Trond can step in with his own.
    Jazz borrows some welding equipment from her estranged father, and a small robot called a HIB from a business associate of her father's. She visits the Apollo 11 landing site as a tourist in disguise, leaving the HIB in place outside the airlock so that it can open the hatch for her without the assistance of a human EVA master. The next day, while an electronic device created by her scientist friend Martin Svoboda makes it seem as though she is in her living quarters, Jazz treks across the moon's surface to where the harvesters are collecting ore. She successfully sabotages one, but is spotted by the camera of another. Jazz destroys two more, but flees the arriving EVA masters before she is able to disable the last harvester. She later goes to Trond's home, where she finds him and his bodyguard murdered. Jazz seeks out Trond's business associate, Jin Chu, at an expensive hotel, but finds Trond's assassin instead. She escapes with a mysterious case marked with the name ZAFO, which she gives to Svoboda to study its contents.
    Jazz learns that Sanchez Aluminum is a front for O Palacio, Brazil's largest and the most powerful organized crime syndicate, and that the killer is now after her. Svoboda discovers that ZAFO is an acronym for Zero Attenuation Fiber Optic. While a normal fiber cable provides 0.4 decibels per kilometer attenuation—the amount of light that gets energy lost to heat during transmission—ZAFO's fiber cable provides 0.001 attenuation and can be used without the help of repeaters. Not able to be created in Earth's atmosphere, the manufacture of this invaluable substance in Artemis will both boost the city's economy and make a fortune for its owners. If O Palacio is allowed to control this industry, they will take over Artemis. Jazz enlists her reluctant friends and father to stop O Palacio by destroying Sanchez's smelter. This will allow Lene to seize the pertinent contracts and rebuild. Jazz sabotages the smelter to overheat and destroy itself, unwittingly creating deadly chloroform that is pumped into the city's air supply. With under an hour before the unconscious residents of Artemis will die from their exposure, Jazz races to access Trond's stockpile of untainted oxygen. She sacrifices herself to save the city, but survives.. (.Artemis (novel) - Wikipedia)
    I'm still reading but it took me some time to realize the player is a young aggressive woman .lol

with lots of feely words thrown in to make it less masculine ..lol

so far .....a good read..and will watch the movie out perhaps late 2018 ..lol

SCORE 8:10

2. It is for sure on my to-read list right now. Almost down with A Fire Upon The Deep and it is amazing!

If you like science fiction please check out Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Just get through the first couple stories before you judge it. Honestly it is amazing. It's like the Canterbury tales where each pilgrim tells their story, only in a science fiction setting essentially. The world is really vivid and incredible.

3. Cheers for the heads-up ..Hyperion I've heard off too.

in truth I'm itching to change my score of Artemis to maybe a 6.10?

I suggest the novel was written for the screen or at least a graphic novel

very visual and forward looking disappointing really

cheers/

4. Maybe check out Altered Carbon. Coming out on Netflix on Feb 2nd but the book is really really entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ALTERED CARBON is set in a future where consciousness is digitized and stored in cortical stacks implanted in the spine, allowing humans to survive physical death by having their memories and consciousness "re-sleeved" into new bodies. The story follows specially trained "Envoy" soldier Takeshi Kovacs, who is downloaded from an off-world prison and into the body of a disgraced cop at the behest of Laurens Bancroft, a highly influential aristocrat. Bancroft was killed, and the last automatic backup of his stack was made hours before his death, leaving him with no memory of who killed him and why. While police ruled it a suicide, Bancroft is convinced he was murdered and wants Kovacs to find out the truth(Altered Carbon (TV Series 2018– ) - Plot Summary - IMDb)

...just talking about a similar thing last week ...lol

cheers/