Arrested For Possession And Trespassing, Wasnt Read My Rights.

Discussion in 'General' started by yayitdrops, Jul 10, 2014.

1. A few months ago, when I was 17, my sister and I got arrested for having marijunana on us. We were stupid, and smoked in a park/golf course bathroom in the middle of the day. ( We've done it countless times before, but not this early).  Cops were called and we were taken to the station.  However, the officer did not read me my rights, and he didn't read my sister her rights until minutes after the arrest.  The officer did question me.  (Not in an interrogation room, but as small talk on the way to the station.)  Could the charges be thrown out because of this?

Extra information:  
    I was a minor
    The fingerprint scanner didn't work so they didn't print me
    They didn't take my mugshot either. 

Please tell me what you think about this situation, thanks.

2. "Your Honor, that officer didn't read me my rights!"

"Is this true, officer?"

"No." :cool:

3. Now in San Diego we had so many cops raping woman they have to wear body cameras to record encounters.

Which is good except for the rape

4. They should have audio or video from the dash cam, correct?

5. Can you elaborate on this

Look...I'm trying to help you out here.

It is your word, someone who was smoking marijuana in a park, against an officer of the law's word.  It isn't that difficult, champ. :cool:

7. Police are now wearing cameras in the UK because people keep reporting the police for assualt and racial abuse. I speak to many police officers and there is some good ones that do the job to stop real crimes and catch real criminals but we also have the robots that do as theyre told and dont even know the law.

Basically op, the police have to follow procedure and if they fail to do things the correct way then the case will be thrown out but only if you can prove it.
    This is all based on UK courts and law so you need to see if its the same where you are, the legal system is kind of the same in the western world so I would think it would be the same.

8. They don't need to read you your rights to arrest you, just to use what you say in an interrogation against you in court. 

9. She was arrested and questioned in the police car, and then right before they reached the station he remembered to read her her rights.

10. Exactly :cool:

11. I don't think the rights reading thing is too much of a big deal.
    If your sister is below a certain age her charges may be different to yours, and it may be worth mentioning on her part. Here 17 is the age of prosecution like an adult.

12. I was just about to tell you you're wrong but then I would've had to apologize because you're right. It's only if they are about to question you that they have to read your rights.

http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/police-didnt-read-me-my-rights/

13. Yep. And you should know your rights anyway. Know that at 17 you don't have any.

14. Yea. The government isn't going to go back through months of video trying to find the dash cam from that day.

Not just that but it is an easy thing to say it was said off camera...This is basic shit here, if you are going to try and turn something around on the cops you best not be guilty of what they are saying you are guilty of, because that is the sound of your credibility soaring at a tremendous speed out the fuckin' court window. :cool:

16. #16 Deleted member 42976, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Which is why I will probably record any encounter I ever have with cops.....until they make that illegal.

17. I was never able to pull my camera out with my hands behind my back lol

18. you start recording when they pull you over or approach you.

19. You have no rights at 17 lol. And as someone else said, unless you were being interrogated they don't have to read you shit...

Also, your juvenile record doesn't mean shit. It'll be locked up and will never be brought up again unless you do bad bad Fbi after you shit.

20. Being let off because you weren't read your rights is a myth. I wouldn't worry, you'll get a fine at most.