Arguments for the existence of God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Koh, Nov 8, 2014.

1. From recorded history there have been countless arguments for and against the existence of God. For example,

1. Everying that exists has a cause for it's existence 
    2. The universe exists 
    3. Therefore the universe has a cause 
    (Add on by modern theistic philosopher's) 
    4. That cause must be greater than the universe I.e. A spaceless, timeless, unembodied mind or what we call God
    5. This "God" caused the universe
    6. In order to cause something you must exist 
    7. God exists 

What do you guys make of these arguments, has one ever swayed your opinion? 

2. #2 CanIBeShaggy, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    I think that there is definitely something out there but Maybe not just one Creator but multiple creators? Or Maybe not even a spirit just a source if that makes any sense? I don't think ANY human being will ever achieve full meaning for Why were here, how were here, or who created us.. I also believe that every religion is just to small like there's no one who could get everything right because there is just to much to explain.. I know that there are higher enitys but what we believe in is very wrong.. The universe is very mysterious.. Definitely to mysterious for the human brain

3. No because it doesn't prove that god exists, it just suggests that something exists and they insert their god of choice as that something...

Like this...
    1. Everything that exists has a cause...
    2. The world exists...
    3. The flying spaghetti monster is that cause...
    4. The world is round, meatballs are round
    The world is 3/4 water and you boil pasta in water...
    5. In order to be a cause it must exist...
    6. The flying spaghetti monster exists...

4. #4 budbudgoose, Nov 8, 2014

Descarte logically proved it with his "I think therefore I am" argument. But i can't remember what the argument was.  :confused_2:

5. My proof is simple.

1) The Earth is too perfectly positioned for what eventually allowed human civilization. Not likely to be a coincidence or freak accident.

2) Human society has so many spiritually challenging and spiritually redeeming qualities that there has to be a reason that we evolved from pond scum over billions of years the way we did. Not likely a happy coincidence or a freak accident.

6. to play devils advocate, the law of truly large numbers states the least likely things will almost certainly occur on the correct scale. we exist in such a scale. 

But why did we evolve into a species capable of appreciating love, God, beauty, art, etc instead of evolving into sentient beings who value none of those things?

That's too convenient to be a freak accident.

8. #8 Koh, Nov 8, 2014
    but who is to say such a being, sentient and unconcerned with worries of ours, doesnt exist? by the same argument of truly large numbers, these beings may well exist, albiet not us, but thats not to say they are absent

9. One problem I have is number 4. I can't even concieve something that can exists spaceless nor a timeless being and to add to that an unembodied mind, it's incoherent, since that would imply a timeless consciousness,motion requires time so  can consciousness even exist without motion? I doubt it.
    Further more it begs the question, since this thing with the label "god"  is a thing that exists , therefore it only pushes back the question to another thing and now we must ponder , what caused this timeless,spaceless,unembodied mind to exist?

10. I agree with you. it's when we get into defining what or who God is, that when the shit hits the fan.

11. I prayed to the God of my understanding to answer this exact question. The answer I got was: "it's none of your business, You will know when you reach that plateau."

What's the point in using a theoretical sentient alien being to disprove the possibility of intelligent design here on Earth?

What we do know is that the Earth's position and development could be argued to be miraculous. Humans as a spiritual-seeking product of the evolutionary chain also could be reasonably argued to be a miracle.

13. #13 QualiD, Nov 8, 2014
    I just don't understand... Christianity is one of the most recent religions...

hundreds of 'gods' existed before Christ and his 'father'. and in case you

didn't know, Jesus' story is a ripoff copy of the story of Horus along with Adam

and eve and the snake.. the snake appears in glyphs along with its story of temptation..

but im not going to judge others for wanting to believe in an ultimate good.

14. I agree. There are too many miracles in this Universe to not suggest that there is something greater than mankind.

15. to be clear, i am not claiming to have proven nor dis-proven anything here. intelligent design is an idea i dont claim to have refuted adequately

To be fair this thread isn't asking for proof that religious scripture are literally true, it's asking for evidence of God's existence which has nothing to do with religious text.

As for point number one , I'd bet that astronomers would be able to provide the statistics of an earth-like planet to exist in the universe. They've discovered other earth-like planets, and so life could possibly exist on those earth like planets.  
    for number 2... evolution , not a accident nor a coincidence ,but  natural selective pressure lead to the rise of our kind. Our ability to ponder deeply allows us to create strategies and plans to overcome obstacles from the the harsh weather and stronger species.  Our ability to make a massively complex super social structure allows us to allocate resources much better so our species can flourish, compared to other species. 

without SCRIPTURE or TEXT the IDEA of GOD

would NOT exist at all. Your rebuttal is displeasing.

1) But why is it so hard to find other intelligent life in the universe? Could this planetary isolation be planned by an intelligent designer so we're forced to look within instead of the endless blackness of the universe?

2) There is a reason we gained the ability to ponder and allocate resources but those survival needs did not need to result in a human society that appreciates love, beauty, art, parenting, spirituality, etc.

Heck the dinosaurs evolved differently than humans as did whales and dolphins. There were countless possibilities. Human existence wasn't inevitable prior the dinosaurs or prior to the big bang. Alot of things had to fall in place to get from there to here.

This is untrue. Religious scripture is nothing more than human speculation about God. 

Surely we can speculate about God or gods without creating a bible of some sort.