Are we an atom?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Smawrpg, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Okay really wierd thought so brace yourselves. The universe is infinite we can assume. But is the universe all that meets the eye. Think about an atom, it has a nucleus in the middle full of energy with protons inside of it and electrons surrounding it. Sound a bit famaliar?

Our solar system is very similar. The sun could be a nucleus, and the earth one of the electrons. This solar system or atom is part of a galaxy. The galaxy is similar to a molecule, or a combonation of different atoms.

Perhaps our solar system is an atom in a larger and more complex dimension (for lack of a better word) It is truly the paradox of infinity being that we an atom made up of simpler atoms etc.

IDK if that made sense so sorry for any misunderstandings that may arise :smoking:

2. Everything is an atom.

3. I know what your saying. I realy think that the universe is infinetly large and small, we humans just can't precieve it all, we only know protons/electron/neutrons make atoms, atoms make molecules, molecules make the smaller parts of single cell organisms, the smaller parts of the cell obvioulsy make the cells. Cells then formed into clusters creating creatures that look like stomachs/ bladders , organs bassically, the organs come together to form organisms, the organisms make up the earth, along with rocks and other things made of other random atoms and molecules. The earth is part of the solar system which is a small part of the galaxy. The milky way is part of a super cluster of galaxies and thats all we know so far. I think that there are "realms" for lack of a better word that are bigger than the super clusters and realms smaller than protons/electrons we as humans just haven;t discovered them ................yet.

4. yahtzee!

5. What about things smaller, or more simple, than an atom?

6. Hahaha that was epic I just got blasted and read that. Good reply gave me goosebumps. :smoking:

7. Though there is some symmetry between the really small (atoms and particles) and rather big (solar system, planets) there are also some very key differenses.

First, a planet can orbit its star(s) at any distance. Indeed, the distance may vary a lot depending on where in the orbit the planet is. Also, planets may have satelites of their own orbiting them.

On the very small however things are different. Electrons may only orbit the nucleus at set distances, depending on how stable the balance of energy is between the electron and protons. Higher orbits have a higher energy. These discrete distances are quantesized. Whenever an electron change orbit due to the atom not being in balance (or at rest if you wish), the excess energy is given off as Electro-Magnetic radiation.

There is also a set limit to how small something can be, the Planck-lenght. As such, one cannot zoom infinitly inwards. The universe have a set resolution, almost like the pixels on your screen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for your such a useful Information Zylark.

9. I believe life moves indefinately, on an infinite scale in which size could never be measured. A single atom could be an entire universe and quantum machanics is still fairly unruley and novel. We may soon discover but I bet the answer to life is the infinity symbol...

10. lol good replies, I see what your saying Zylark, however it may be that if we are a more complex version of an atom than their may be many key differences I was only pointing out the similarities. I do not believe that the Solar System is the exact replica of an atom or anything.

11. good post. i believe everything in this universe(that we know of) is in some sort of harmony - we just cant quite conceptualize it yet based on patterns.

12. Well this post put the song Particle Man from they might be giants into my head.....guessing it will take a month to get it out TYVM!!! :)

13. And like how galaxy's orbit supermassive black holes, it gets bigger!

14. i could possibly agree. like the solar system is an atom and the beings of earth are a result(life) to the magicalness being done by the atom. and we are made up of atoms where the process is repeated and a new realm dwells.