are using aluminum grinders dangerous?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by HighHaze, Jun 16, 2009.

1. i know that its not healthy to cook with aluminum because the aluminum can get in your food and it build up in your system, but what about just grinding marijuana? i know that no heat is added, but suppose the friction causes bits of aluminum to get in your stash? what if all it takes is contact with aluminum for it to be dangerous?

2. Only if it heats up ALOT.

You dont want the aluminum to get in your stash.

Its okay for the contact of weed and aluminum, but heating up the aluminum is really bad for you.

Although, as a last resort, using aluminum as a bowl tends to be somewhat safe... just dont keep the fire on the foil for more than 5 seconds as a precaution.

3. #3 dope_roor, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
    aluminum in a solid state like a grinder isn't very reactive with organic compounds (unless really acidic) so i doubt theres any interaction by simple contact without significant heat applied

the only concern I would have is the quality of the aluminum, if it's shaving off pieces of aluminum into powder, than inhalation of the powder will be very bad. some grinder companies avoid this by inserting a small teflon ring in between the removable top and the collection chamber so that there is no aluminum-to-aluminum contact.

cooking with aluminum isn't bad... nor has anyone come out with a definitive study showing aluminum to cause Alzheimer's disease

you have to get the facts straight, there are alot of myths out there... research shows that patients with Alzheimer's have an unusually high level of Aluminum but this is also a characteristic of AD patients. correlation does not mean causation!

that said, torching aluminum foil with a BIC is still not a good idea cuz you're getting wayy hotter than an oven

4. the only possible situation that i can think off where aluminum grinder would be bad is if your grinding something real tough and it sand papers off some aluminum causing aluminum dust? doubt it though

5. na man u should be ok

6. Tin - Melting Point: 505.08 K (231.93 C, 449.47 F)
    Tin - Boiling Point: 2875 K (2602 C, 4716 F)

Aluminium - Melting Point: 933.47 K (660.32 C, 1220.58 F)
    Aluminium - Boiling Point: 2792 K (2519 C, 4566 F)

In order for either vapor to be created the metal has to reach over 4000 degrees, let me remind you it will have to of already melted by that point. No torch/crack lighter can get either metal to that degree. Please, share this information and put this ignorant myth to rest. I'm so tired of this question.

Note: Post is a repost attempting to stamp out all the ignorant metal myths.

7. There is no friction if you have a good grinder. The top that you spin should have an o-ring below to keep metal from touching metal at all times , I think the only thing that keeps my grinder closed is good design and a strong magnet. The fall through & kief compartments have small grooves machined into them to only minimize friction because they won't be doing much spinning.

8. It's quite stupid to ignore the obvious in the OP's question and resort to stating something completely irrelevant.

Because you haven't bothered reading his post, I will tell you that his concern is about aluminum grinders. Aluminum grinders have nothing to do with heat. Nothing at all. :confused:

The problem is that aluminum grinders have the potential to have aluminum particles or shavings in material that has been ground. This may be due to the actual carving of the aluminum in factories, which is why aluminum grinders must be thoroughly cleaned before being used. If proper precautions are put into place, one still comes into the potential danger of having aluminum shavings in their ground material because of the inevitable wear on the teeth. If you are careful of not putting hard and rigid substances, such as woody stems, into it, then it should not be a problem.

Proper maintenance and cleaning should keep the dangers to a minimum. If you follow through with this advice, then you shouldn't run into problems.

Oh, and also, only buy quality grinders. There are some that are machined very cheaply and are not durable, and so, do pose more risks of wear.

9. If you want to be safe, get an anodized aluminum grinder such as the titanium Space Case. Non anodized aluminum grinders don't have to have flakes or particles in order to shed aluminum. Take an aluminum grinder and drag the corner of it across a white piece of paper. That black line you see is aluminum. An anodized grinder won't do that.

Having said that, I'm sure most high quality aluminum grinders are relatively safe despite this.

10. I figured I was obvious enough. Let me explain this a little further for the faint minded... Unless the aluminum hops out of your bowl and into your mouth, you won't ingest it. Considering the heat required as I posted, you can't get the aluminum/tin to a state where it will be ingested.

I did read the post and here's the key part...
    Because you haven't bothered reading his post, I will forgive you for "ignoring the obvious"

SOOOOO, even though metal flakes of aluminum may get in the stash and by proxy in the bowl it does not liquefy or evaporate and therefore won't get any closer to your mouth than the bowl. The flakes will then be emptied with that left over stuff in a kicked bowl, you know... that stuff called ash. Have a nice day :wave:

11. #11 aero18, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
    Sigh. Seriously?

Let me make a simple scenario for you. Suppose I have a vaporizer. I just bought an aluminum (doesn't matter what metal it is, really) grinder. I haven't washed it out or ground up pieces of paper with it to take out all of the metal carving residue that was left after production. I grind up some herb with it. Metal shavings are left on the ground up herb. I put it in the tube of my vaporizer, and inhale. The aluminum particles goes through the screen and into my lungs.

Boy that was hard to imagine. Blew my mind.

12. Anyone please jump in here btw....

Let me quote that again...

Your vaporszer won't heat the aluminum (or tin for that matter) to a degree where it would vaporize or give off any form of aluminum. Let me repost those numbers again...

Tin - Melting Point: 505.08 K (231.93 C, 449.47 F)
    Tin - Boiling Point: 2875 K (2602 C, 4716 F)

Aluminium - Melting Point: 933.47 K (660.32 C, 1220.58 F)
    Aluminium - Boiling Point: 2792 K (2519 C, 4566 F)

This really doesn't have to be a big argument, it's just simple physics.

13. #13 aero18, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
    Oh my god. Are your lungs that weak that you can't inhale aluminum dust? Why in the world would it HAVE to be vaporized?!

EDIT: Okay, how about another scenario? You go get a bar of aluminum. You shred a thin slice from it. You inhale that slice into your lungs. Where did it go? Did it need to be vaporized in order for it to go into your lungs?

It's a serious issue if you can't comprehend that possibility.

14. No friction created by a grinder and any likely weed in between is strong enough to create dust, shavings, yes, harmless shavings, not airborne dust.

For all existence would someone please chime in, this is why it sucks that weed is illegal, shit like this would be common knowledge.

15. It's curious to me that you have not heard of other people who found aluminum shavings in their herb before. May I direct you to Google, or better yet, this very forum? :rolleyes:

16. If u suck a small piece of weed through the mouthpiece that has an aluminum shaving on it, u just inhaled aluminum, regardless if it was a dust or not.

17. even with facts laid straight out in front of people...they still must argue...smh...

18. Ugh, seriously, do you know how many threads pop up on grass city with people afraid of aluminum/tin pipes/bowls? Why do you think I posted that first post the way I did? I learned the simple physics to defeat this myth back in my freshmen year of high school. Either you're from the south where they get to division in your senior year or you're just not fucking there yet.

edit:
    omg thank you, about time someone intelligent stumbled into this lost cause.

19. Whoa u just insulted half of the US...

20. I can't believe that you are still trumpeting your irrelevant knowledge.

For the sake of others' health and this misinformation, here is a link to what one should do if one finds metal shavings in their grinder. Look around the Google search, the first find is very helpful.

And to you, ArtemisRain, I suggest you click on the link too. Maybe then you will see that there is indeed a real possibility for one to inhale metal shavings from a grinder if it is not properly cleaned and handled.