Are there any arguments for god's existence..

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by SpiritMolecule, Oct 13, 2011.

1. that aren't based on faith?

Just wondering.

2. haha nice work bro

3. The Universe is infinite and eternal... at least the Quantum Vacuum It resides in is infinite and eternal.

God is often considered infinite and eternal. If you're looking for the external creator, you will never find God. If you realize that God is everything, then you are never without God.

When Moses asked God what we should call him, God replied, "I am that I am."

4. If god is the universe, then there is no reason to call it anything but the universe. It becomes nothing more than slang at that point.

5. This. I'm not religious, but i do believe in the universe............I think. I sometimes witness things that I've witnessed before. Don't know what to make of that. I'm not talkin deja vu either

6. Nope!.....

...In one way or another, you have to cross that bridge when you come to it...

...............or just stay on the same fuckin' side...:smoke:

7. This is a Richard Dawkins quote from an article he wrote about The Improbability of God:

"For most people the answer is still some version of the ancient Argument from Design. We look about us at the beauty and intricacy of the world -- at the aerodynamic sweep of a swallow's wing, at the delicacy of flowers and of the butterflies that fertilize them, through a microscope at the teeming life in every drop of pond water, through a telescope at the crown of a giant redwood tree. We reflect on the electronic complexity and optical perfection of our own eyes that do the looking. If we have any imagination, these things drive us to a sense of awe and reverence. Moreover, we cannot fail to be struck by the obvious resemblance of living organs to the carefully planned designs of human engineers. The argument was most famously expressed in the watchmaker analogy of the eighteenth-century priest William Paley. Even if you didn't know what a watch was, the obviously designed character of its cogs and springs and of how they mesh together for a purpose would force you to conclude "that the watch must have had a maker: that there must have existed, at some time, and at some place or other, an artificer or artificers, who formed it for the purpose which we find it actually to answer; who comprehended its construction, and designed its use." If this is true of a comparatively simple watch, how much the more so is it true of the eye, ear, kidney, elbow joint, brain? These beautiful, complex, intricate, and obviously purpose-built structures must have had their own designer, their own watchmaker -- God.'

I suppose it's still rather based on blind faith than empirical evidence but I think it's the closest thing they have...

8. I guess at this point you have to ask yourself: "Is this infinite and eternal universe that I see before me, all that there is? Are there no other planes of existence, no other realms for God to have dominion over?"

:smoke:

9. Sure, I can give you a quick, simple argument off the top of my head. It depends on what your definition of god is, though.

The potentiality of non-existence is the negation of power, whereas the potentiality of existence is the affirmation of power.
    If you accept this above idea, then the existence of finite entities and nothing else is an absurdity, because finite entities cannot be more powerful than an infinite entity. Following this, either nothing exists, or an infinite entity exists. We know that nothing does not exist because we are here, reading this. Therefore an infinite entity must exist.

10. Well, you dont know exactly what the universe is either. The universe may be a living being/organism that creates things.

11. religion was created to control large groups of people if you look is past times and read between lines you will under stand the latest control of people is government that is why religion is fading out with in the next 100 years there will be very small group of true believers just look at yow many churches close every day and what is going on with priest I was raised as catholic and i raise my kids as catholic to give them something to believe in

12. But it's still the universe. Why assign additional slang to something we don't understand?

13. #14 whacker17, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

We are unique are we not? Every event, experience that you have moulds changes, develops you . Plus we have genetics. Nature and nurture. This defines who,what you are, what you think, believe. true?

If i have no evidence, no personel experience of " god " as you call it., and i believe that there is a " god "... this is faith... am i correct.?

If through my life experiences, my personnel experience that " i know " that there is a higher power driving this universe. Then my belief is not " faith " :rolleyes:.... am i correct?

The thing with Athiests is the confusion you have between religion (faith) and the rest of us souls who are at a stage of life slightly enlightened, empowered with a personnel knowledge of... " there is more to this life " :D

I am not religeous, i detest religions... its not in dispute (in my head) that religions have enslaved, controlled man... since its conception. so can we move on from that easy target. We can all bash the bible, christians, islam...blah,blah

I dont belive in " god " either,. Because i know what your image of God is... he made us in his image (bollocks ... religion again) :rolleyes:

i prefer to use the terms " the source "... or " nature " or... " universal knowlegde"

i can tell you of my evidence... but its going to meaningless to you.. because you are not me!! remember we are all unique!!

I can direct you .. to find your own evidence. but again... its your life, your decisions. You need to look within and find the answers. Its called free will.

Can i qoute someone... " None but ourselves can free our minds " ... and " open your eyes and look within " - Bob Marley

:smoke: peace

14. The universe seems unusually malevolent for it to all be an accident;)

15. from your perspective ;)

16. Seems a bit short-sighted to apply such a simpleton human term to something so vast as the universe. :) The universe just is and we are lucky to have a place from which to observe it.

17. The word universe means everything, the all, etc.

God is described as everything, the all, etc...there is more to it beyond just the word itself.

18. You say he's short-sighted and using simpleton terms but then you go on to say "the universe just is"...the irony is strong here

19. The universe is just a term that describes everything that exists.

God is described as a man in the sky that made the entire universe just for humans and sends us rules inscribed on stone tablets.

They're a little different. Thanks.