are stores allowed to do this

Discussion in 'General' started by 3085, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ok I went into this little store by my house to get some cigs so I didn't have to go all the way down the road to family express and I wanted a pack of marlboro red and a pack of milds and she wouldn't sell me two dif. kind of cigs wtf!! thats bs

2. Def illegal

3. well actually they can do whatever they want. seems odd they wouldnt sell you both, but what are you gonna do.

4. WTF did you ask why?

5. Wait, what? She would have sold you either pack separately, but not both of them together? That's fucked up. Not illegal though, the clerk can choose to deny a sale for any reason (at least around here), and it is up to the store manager to deal with their staff if they are abusing this power.

6. That is really weird. You should have asked why.

7. no she was like why are you getting to different kinds and I was like because I like to smoke both of them but really the reds were for my gf but shes 18 so its not like i was buying for someone underage but I think its because she seen my friend outside she prolly thought I was buying them for him but idk

8. were you with someone else who was underage?

i used to work at a gas station and we couldn't sell cigarettes to people at all if the person they were with didn't have an ID.

9. Makes sense, but the burden shouldn't be on the store clerk to determine what you are going to do with your cigs. As long as they determine you are of age that should be IT.

10. yes but he was in car but I think you're right but I hate that store anyways when I was still 17 I gave my friend money for cigars all the time and he bought so many they stopped carrying cigars because she said she knew what we were doing with them and I really don't see why she cares

11. Nothing illegal about it. As a store owner I can create any policies I like regarding the products I sell, as long as they are not discriminatory.

Seems like the store is just trying to protect itself from the huge fines that come from selling to minors. If your friend wasn't outside the store you probably would have been cool or maybe she was just a bitch. Either way I would have told her to keep her cigs and went somewhere else.

12. [​IMG]

13. haha this reminds me one time i went to buy beer and i grabbed 2 cases of beer and the asian guy at the counter says "you no need all that beer, only buy 1." i was like uhhh ok i guess haha. it was hilarious.

14. yeah still kinda weird considering the circumstances. like i've bought 27s and djarum blacks together all the time. and they just do it without hesitation. kinda weird tho. but hey with these cig prices im surprised they would decline you two packs

15. Obiviously it's totally legal. it's a private business.
    But maybe they were running low on cigarettes or the lady was just being bitchy for no reason?

16. That's really stupid. I'm pretty sure she's just hurting the store by not getting your money...

17. A lot of stores do this if they're near a high school, the gas station near my school wont sell anyone more than 1 type of cigs because people were buying them and selling them at school

18. It's quite obvious that she thought your were buying two different packs because one was for you and one was for a minor who couldn't buy them. That's what she was thinking. And when it comes to tobacco and alcohol they don't need a reason to not sell you it.