Are police allowed to search your shoes? (UK)

Discussion in 'General' started by Durb, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ok so I heard that if the police randomly stop you at the side of the road and search you, i.e. your pockets and bag etc. (They do it a lot around here) that they can't ask you to remove your shoes without taking you to the station (which they have to have a cause for, such as the smell of weed or something) because it's classed as a strip search. Is this true? I normally keep weed in my shoes if I'm carrying small amounts but I won't bother if they can make you take your shoes off.

2. I've seen them do it on tv so I guess it's legal. Either way they will do it if they want to regardless. And keep it in your socks, never have I seen them check someones socks but maybe they do I don't know.

3. Demiurge is right... that was on Road Wars quite a few years back. Indian fella was made to remove his shoes on the public pavement.

I'm pretty sure they can look in your shoes, but it has to be back at the station.

The one place I can guarantee they aren't allowed to poke around in, and that's your mouth. Although saying that, they can choke you till you spit out whatever you have in there...

4. They probably wouldnt look in your crotch-al region....lay it up next to your dick...theyll think youre just hung

5. Although you may be right, that's a rather fucked-up way to prevent someone from "destroying evidence", especially given the fact that the officer is committing a crime (felony assault) that is ONLY excusable due to him wearing a uniform.

In the meantime, you could trip and fall getting out of the car, accidentally knocking the gum out of your mouth that hit the officers shoe, and you'll be charged with resisting arrest and felony assault and battery on a police officer (with perhaps some additional "biohazard" bullshit in there due to the gum).

What...utter...bullshit.

6. Yeh it sucks... but, I'd sooner have UK police than any other force in the world.

British police are so tame it's unreal... a good majority of them are younger than me, so it's really easy to wind them up to the point where they do something irrational (I usually focus on their height, & little man temper). Really gets them going that does! But what they gonna do? :p

7. Police just search people at random without probable cause?

8. Here they can do what they like with regards to searching at the roadside without reasonable suspicion (new terrorist laws take this even further).

When police want to look for drugs on someone here, they will always say they are primarily focusing on weapons... a lot of people tend to get quite upset that police think they look like a drug user & that's why they were stopped.

9. Yeah they can stop anyone. I used to get stopped almost every week because I hung around with people who dressed like skaters / stoners. Used to piss me off so fucking much, having to take everything out of your pockets etc.

10. If you're prone to being searched a lot, just carry an unusual item that not many people can identify... so when you get searched, the police will pull it out, be confused, and ask you what it is. To which you can reply 'it's an enthusiastic pig finder' :)

11. Of course. I thought this was common practice/knowledge.

12. #12 Chrismittty, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    Underlined sounds about right.
    I know here, they can swab your mouth if they think ya on drugs, and test that shit. That, or I know some pushovers who dunno their rights.

And I wouldn't assume shoes are off limits if they can do cavity searches. Can they?- edit see that thats classified as a "strip search" Idk. Shoes are the 1st or 2nd place cops look here, so...

13. They can basically fucking rape you here. But they have to take you to the station for a full body.

14. I answered this myself about half an hour ago ahaha...stopped and searched by the police, and my shoes were fully searched. Damnnnnnn.