are long stems like this normal ?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Timboman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. hello everybody here.:wave:

I just started growing some stavia and this is my problem.

The stems are about 1 inch and half long.
    Got there first set of leaves so far
    i don't think its normal for them to be soo long so any advice would be a help
    i keep them in a sunny room durning the day in a persplex growing box made for seedlings.

The soil is just run of the mill seedling mix i picked up.
    I don't have a light system for them as i intend to grow outside.
    Have no idea about ph levels btw:eek:
    The pic is from my cellphone sorry about the quality

Attached Files:

2. Its stretching for more light.

not a huge problem, try to get it some more light, if not, when you move it outside just plant it deeper.

3. Looks fine. They will stretch for light. The seed leaves have enough nutes for 1st couple of weeks, so all looks well. If they droop you can stake them up for support until the stem hardens.

gl ..alex

4. [quote name='Timboman']hello everybody here.:wave:

I just started growing some stavia and this is my problem.

The stems are about 1 inch and half long.

When ya' transplant them bury them up to within 1/4" of the first set of leaves...
    Problem will be solved

We have used some seedlings (outdoor) that had stretched so much the all had fallen over they were all 6-8" long not tall..lol (a sprouting tray was left in the shade and forgotten for 2 weeks...Lol)
    that tray of plants went on to be some sweet Indys yielding 3-14 ozs each. that was some of the first Indica from Neville's trip to Afghanistan :)

5. yeah its deffinitely reaching for light. Move it closer to the light source or increase ur watts. What type of lighting are you using? My plant did the same thing in the beginning of this year so i upped my watts and its doing amazing now

6. Thanks for the advice.

i don't actually have a light system as such.
    I put a eco bulb into a small compartment that is kept warm by the hot water cylinder.
    The base is about 15 cm (3 in) from the light.
    It stays at a constant 15 C
    Not the kind of set up many people would have around here i think. (chuckle)
    It's not quite hot enough down here in NZ to plant outside just yet.
    Any advice would be greatly recieved thanks

Attached Files:

7. You're right on the edge there growing at 15C ; mind you your soil will be colder then the air temps.
    Any colder then that and you plant(s) are gonna end up dead soon.

If you can't provide additional heating :
    a. get a bigger bulb, more W = higher temps.
    b. use aluminium foil on the walls to contain whatever heat is there as best as you can.
    c. get a reflector (alu) right above the CFL so the heat **cough** can 'hang' under it. empty beer can would do.