Are deer an issue

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PopeyeSpinach, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Are deer much of a concern when it comes to growing cannabis Outdoors? I've got an area that's near a Woodline I'd like to use. But I know there's deer in they're too cuz I've seen them close to the wood line.

just wondering if anyone's had an issue or lost plants to them.

2. Dude, i've gone to crazy extreme lengths to keep deer and other small herbivores from chowing down on my girls.
    Not nearly as much of an issue once the plants get to be a decent size but i've had plants gobbled up in the time it took me to plant them, walk 20 mins back to my vehicle to get the water jug and when i return... a chewed off little stem is all that's left... if i'm lucky!

I can't say it was always deer, but i started off using tiny little chicken wire "domes" and those would get easily trashed by whatever had it's eyes on my girls. We also had a ton of deer in the area.

I've done cayenne pepper and other mild irritants, which seemed completely useless... even tried using a few different urine products (store bought, of course! LOL).

I've only ever grown handfuls of plants at a time outdoors but i always assumed about 30% of seedlings would succumb to hungry animals. I'd plant 3 or 4 plots of 5-8 plants and i'd be happy if you get 4 mature ladies by season's end.

Unfortunately, the more infrastructure you set up to try to deter deer and animals, the more likely your garden is to being spotted and ripped off. I always preferred being upset at a hungry animal vs being pissed off at greedy rippers though... LOL

I eventually gave up on the backwoods guerrilla-style growing as it was always a major gamble... had years where i lost every plant to one thing or another.

3. Well this isnt gonna be a gorilla grow. It's going to be in my backyard visible from my house.

Thinking about making a Shishi Odoshi, aka Japanese "deer chaser" but bamboo is expensive and I didn't know if it was something I would really need to do. But considering I know that the deer bed about five hundred yards from where my plants will be it may be worth a try.

Supposedly they work really good to deter deer and other critters.... but it would attract people because of the sound in the case of a guerrilla grow.

I mean it's pretty much you cut the bamboo and make your pieces and then bury a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir with a pump inside. I've even seen people use a brand new store bought oil drain pan buried under gravel...then it's just run the pump and let her go...could also just make one in a big flower pot that you can move around

4. Interesting! Can't say i've ever heard of such a contraption used as a deer deterrent but if i had have, i probably would have tried it!
    I suppose you could do something similar out of PVC pipe, instead of bamboo...

Curious if anyone else has used a "Shishi Odoshi" to successfully deter deer. I have a feeling the deer that were in my area were hardcore motherfuckers, cuz they'd roll right up into people's backyards and they'd even been spotted walking down the street in the middle of the day in town! LOL

Good luck with your grow, man... and may you be free from the perils of hungry critters!

• Like Like x 1
  5. use a 500 thousand volt electric fence

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. That seems more of a last ditch effort lol

7. Not exactly the most subtle solution... but at least you'd have fresh venison! :ey:

8. been researching what to do about deer.

I found this potential gem:
    "Another approach to keeping deer out of your garden is to lay chicken wire mesh fencing ON THE GROUND around the outer edges of your gardens or yard. Use four foot wide sections of chicken wire. When the deer approach your garden, their feet are caught in the chicken wire, they panic and run away. This tactic works well, especially in combination with repellents, as long as it is maintained and not buried by leaves or plants."

Oh Deer! - Natureworks

9. If Uncle Buck was giving me trouble, I'd have a big problem as I grow inside. But this thread interesting. If I was growing outside I wouldn't want a natural neighbor (The Deer) going after my goods. Also i would find a reasonable alternative to curb the problem as I might be after Uncle Buck, if the seasons right, to come to dinner. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1