Architecture...?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChelseaFC5505, May 3, 2010.

1. So, I'm sitting at my computer doing some rendering for my Architecture coursework, and it got my wondering if anyone on these forums was an architect \ mason \ contractor etc etc...

Or any younger high school aged kids curious about majoring in one of those fields...?

open to any and all discussion..

2. I'm a project manager, "jack of all trades" carpenter.

Whats up?

3. I've always like architechture, I had a friend who was very gifted at it, but sort of fell out of touch

4. Actually, I would like to know what courses are required for Architecture major. I'm a freshman, and can't decide over architecture or biology. I just recently got into architecture.

5. sorry, cant help you out there.

6. I love it, i'd like to go to school for it but i'm not sure if i'd make it.

but i am so interested by it. i love going in as many houses/buildings as possible. In the summers i dress up and go out looking at places that are for sale just to check them out. its impossible for me to sit anywhere and think the place is perfect, i'm always thinking of things that could be changed/added on to make a structure more efficient.

7. Sorry went MIA for a bit. lots of work recently.

Soo Fenton Mewley, what do ya wanna know. Like course requirements n stuff? or types of projects and stuff?

I gotta say its a VERY tough field to get into. You need ALOT of artistic talent to design. Not so much like sketching ability but creativity cos you gotta strong concepts behind every project.

Also, you better not like sleep. Architecture majors at every school don't sleep. I've been up 50-72 hours straight multiple times. It really starts to fuck with your head. Gotta have thick skin too, lots of criticism will be thrown your way. Critics are especially harsh on underclassmen to try and weed out the floaters. Massive dropout rates in 2nd and 3rd year.

It is fun though, you get very close with people when you're around them in your studios for weeks straight, and i know i'd rather be up all night building a model over writing a paper. So in that aspect its cool. Architects are 90% of the time arrogant pricks, which also gets very irritating when you're around them alot.

I personally dont wish to pursue it after school, and i want to start focusing more into construction, and masonry work.

8. I majored in architecture for one semester and it was hell. My university's architecture program is in the top 20 in the country, and I just didn't want to put that kind of time into something I'm really not that good at anyway. Math is more my thing, but more power to you if you're succeding at it!

Back in high school I took a lot of drafting type classes, so I'm pretty familiar with 3D modeling programs. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MasterCam, etc. I love playing around with those things.

9. Oh nice! where'd ya go if you dont mind me asking. Yeah its a ton of work, im managing to stick to it enough to get a BS in Arch. If i stayed another year and did double the work, id get a BArch, but im not interested.

10. My friend went to college for architecture. He said about half of the class was gone after the first year. He ended up realizing he didnt want to go for it because everything you design has to have a reason behind why you did it that way. Not alot of creative freedom. He's majoring in writing now.

11. yeah drops from like 250 to 100 in first year. crazy stuff. One of my friends also changed to journalism but changed schools.

12. Why limit yourself to architecture when you can be a city planner!?

I mean, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler?

13. not at all. very close minded opinion. I dont like the people, but i do have a ton of respect for them because i know the amount of work and intelligence required.

14. Nevermind then, I'm sure it's just an interest. I don't think I'd be willing to put in that much effort.

I hate physics too, and I'm sure that's required.

15. #15 Kevin08, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
    Haha my thoughts exactly, which is why i changed majors from Civil Engineering to Community and Regional Development. City Planning ftw! I took a bunch of engineering and drafting classes in HS and i realized sitting around drawing all day just isn't my thing. I gotta actually get out there and see stuff!

16. Just finished up my last studio presentation. think i might upload my project later for ya'll too see. To be honest it's nothing amazing, which is why im going into a more construction based job, but the layout came out nice, and i put about 200 hours into the whole thing, so people can get an idea of what it takes to get your BArch, BSArch, or w.e level your at.

17. I´m thinking of taking bachelours degree in architecture.
    I just finished my 11th year, still in high school. I´m trying to start making my own projects and learn things by myself.

I´d like to see your studio project btw.

18. #19 b.eberts, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
    I'm a BArch student, mad work, mad safety meetings on the roof of the studio, no sleep. Not much money, more reward than anything in the world :D Its a passion, not really a job. People who dont love it wont do it cuz it consumes your life. Such is life :p Rippin my brand new stemline with the ol toro pinch, dickin around in cad. anyone good with revit here?

Edit: No sleep, hence my 4:50am post...