Archers of the City

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Durchii, Dec 1, 2008.

1. #1 Durchii, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

From perusing the Hunting thread for a month or two, I can already tell that there are quite a few Archers on this forum but, surprisingly enough, there hasn't been a thread dedicated to it in the Outdoorsman's Lounge of our fair City.

:D

I've always found more enjoyment with hunting with tools that are as primitive as possible, maybe even handmade by myself, which brings me into my love of archery. This isn't to say that I have anything against using firearms, having used them before, but I'm a hell of a lot more passionate about using a bow, whether to hunt or simply lay groups on a target.

I've been out shooting with a bow several times and have absolutely loved it, but it's never been an option for me to get into it with my own equipment until this year. I've made several bows the past few weeks, not to mention a homemade arrow or two, and shot successfully at varying ranges, but I'll probably be buying my first Traditional Bow some time in the next week.

I've been looking at the Martin X-200 extensively, and it seems like a great place to start. I decided to start off with a more primitive bow, as opposed to something like a Compound, out of personal preference... and because I'm a stubborn pain in the ass who likes to make things difficult for myself. Oh well, we'll see how it goes!

:hello:

2. I have been shooting a bow for about 12 years now. I personally shoot a Matthews Solocam that I absolutely love. I have taken many deer with it as well as a coyote and a few raccoons. I grew up with quite a few traditional shooters and I have always grown up dealing with them making fun of me and my "training wheels."

One thing that I have always known about bowhunters and archers in general is that we are a close-knit family. I am glad to see the sport grow.

3. #3 Deleted member 97913, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    ok, first of all i love reading your posts, and you shooting trad makes it that much better!

im so glad to see others on the city enjoy killin with stick n string.

i have about 30 bows my father and i have built. i have a feeling i will be in this thread quite a bit.

EDIT: if your looking for a new trad bow i suggest howard hills collection, black widow bows, or anything in Three Rivers basically

4. I got my archery merit badge back in the day when I was in scouts, it was fun. Wish I could do it more.

5. I second anything by made by Black Widow is quality stuff. Fred Bear also makes a nice quality bow.

6. I love my hunting for sure, I have a fake deer in my backyard for archery practice, my dad's friend is actually the best archer in our state, hes won the archery championship a couple of times. I have a question for you guys. Have any of you gone hunting stoned? I imagine it would be amazing, it seems like you could really connect with your predator instincts and if you were stalking an animal I bet you could really get into it, I definatley want to try it sometime, I bet I would love it.

7. It's a slow going process, to be sure, but it is a tried and true method of human evolution and phylogeny so I highly doubt it is going anywhere any time soon, even as a hunting method.

I've always loved Compound Bows just as equally as shooting traditionally. There are definite upsides in using them. Even though it's practically a Cardinal Sin amongst most Archers, I don't even have anything against Crossbow shooting, if that gives you an idea of my ambiguity.

Hey, thanks man!

I'm taking a look at some of those bows today probably. The Black Widow site is down, but I'll look at the Three Rivers Archery site. I just got their annual magazine in, actually.

Thanks for the input!

:D

8. whatsup everyone. where are all the pse shooters at!!? i cant be the only one on here.

9. Hey, stonedarcher! Welcome to the City!

I've looked at quite a few PSE Compounds of late, and I have to say their not bad bows... Bear Archery has caught my eye a bit more, though. It hardly matters right now, as I probably won't be buying a Compound of my own until Summer, but it's good to take a look at.

[​IMG]

10. Any of you guys have any experience with BowTech Bows? My dad has one that a friend gave to him and his friend also gave me a bow lol, but it's like a custom made bow and from what I've heard you can't even buy it, my dad's friend bought it at an auction of some sort. It's really compact, and ergonomic, it's got a nice camo pattern on it, it has fiber optic sights but no adjustable pins. The make is MIghty Mite, and it also has a lot of sound dampeners, vibration, etc. it's a really nice bow I've shot it a bunch of times but I've never gone hunting with it. Only thing I don't like about it is one time I was just pulling it back and releasing and the mechanical release strapped around your arm definately came loose somehow because I didn't let go of it, and it beat the shit out of arm, tore up my entire arm from elbow to hand and left a bruise as wide as an apple and about 2 cm high, shit hurt like a bitch. Don't do that you will definatley regret it unless you already have lol.

11. well first if you are holding the bow dont lock your elbow that will cause it to slap. also, where a arm guard.:rolleyes:

but if its a trad bow you can adjust the brace height so it doesnt slap as easily. PSE compounds are very well made, ive had mine for about 6 years and i can still hit a ping pong ball from 40 yards.

12. Arm guard doesn't seem useful at all to me I've only done that once and I don't even know how it hit my arm it just barely grazed it but it still fucked it up.

13. also try holding the bow with an open hand, let the pressure from the draw hold the bow in your hand. much easier to repeat and i guarentee it will eliminate any wrist slap. just make sure the grip is mostly on the left side of your bowhand

14. Wrist slap is always the number one pain in the ass with beginning shooters. I actually just found this amazing Leather Bracer/Armguard that I bought in Canada back in 2005, so I've been wearing that of late. Works quite well.

15. arm guards are generally worn for trad bows, so it doesnt slap... i only use an arm guard/sleeve for compund if im wearing loose clothes hunting (ghillie suit)SP?) and i dont want it to get caught in the string or affect the arrow flight.

16. Lol I had been shooting for years the mechanical release just came loose at a very unexpected time. I had it at full draw and I was talking to someone and well you know the rest, lol.

17. #17 PuRe CaNNaBLiSS, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    what up city! im an avid bow hunter, i pretty much live for anything that involves shooting my bow. i bow hunt and bowfish as much as possible :)

got some pics of the bow kills as well!

pretty nice common carp i got with my bow.
    [​IMG]
    on the left is my 13 pointer taken in 08, along with my dads 8 point taken on the same morning
    [​IMG]
    my 13 point mount
    [​IMG]
    my dads 9 point
    [​IMG]
    11 point taken in 06
    [​IMG]
    all the mounts
    [​IMG]

lets see some pics guys!

18. You bowfish, how is that? I always thought it was a cool idea and I really love to fish too but I was always wondering how exactly that works. Do you just stay on the boat or land or whatever and shoot fish?

19. well there are different types of reels you can get and things like that. but for me i have a AMS reel which ran about 60 dollars. but that is one of the nicer reels you can get and some are as cheap as 25 dollars. and you can shoot them both on land or on a boat, night or day. i have a 16 foot jon boat and i have 6 500Watt halogen lights being run of a 5500W generator. Drive around at night and see them in the shallows and "thwack" its extremely fun. but you can shoot them in teh day just as easily. all you need is a pair of polarized sunglasses. which you can get for 8.00 at walmart and you just walk threw the shallows in rivers or on the edges of lakes n such. look for em and stick em ;) get a group of like 3 guys out doing it and its a really good time!

20. also you can only shoot "ruff fish" or none game fish or panfish. ruff fish are things such as carp, gar, suckers, and things or that nature. there is no limit to how many fish you can shoot either. this is bc their thought to be a nuisance to the enviroment. Some lakes even pay you to kill them. Such as a quarter per carp or something of that nature. not much but it is what it is.

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHV25Adv6ck"]YouTube - Bowfishing By Team BlazinArrow[/ame]

now for the insane stuff. peoria illinois is the most known place for this.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMSy7xK218"]YouTube - Aerial Bowfishing???[/ame]