Aquaponic gardens

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dankrupt, Mar 5, 2013.

1. So... My most recent project. I have lettuce, tomatoes, sweet basil, and some broccoli going. Right now, only 8 goldfish and like 35/40 feeder shrimp in the fish reservoir. Now sprouting!! :)

Attached Files:

2. Id post a picture of mine but I deleted it.

Mines half aquaponics. I still use soil as.my.medium but I water it from my.fish tank

3. Haha, sounds like more work. Why not incorporate it into your tank?

4. #4 JumboGarlic, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
    Nice project. I have turtles and as you can imagine they produce a lot of waste. I actually killed a medium sized cannabis plant by watering it with water from the tank. I probably should have alternated between clean water and turtle water instead of just turtle water. She looked great though before she started going down hill, and she went down fast! I immediately started flushing the soil, but there was nothing I could do for her. I'm sure I wouldn't have had that problem if the plants were incorporated into the tank design or the water circulated through the plant pots and back to the tank so the plants use the waste before it ever gets to destructive levels in the water. I use earth-tainers, pots with an under-pot water reservoir that wicks water and nutes up through the soil and keeps the optimal amount of moisture in the soil at all times. It would be very easy to modify my homemade Tiddy Cat kitty litter bucket system for this method. Keep us updated on the results. Thanks for the inspiration! ...and btw, Dankrupt is an awesome pseudonym!

5. Awesome! Can you tell me how you got started? I've been trying to get into aquaponics but I'm confused by all the different methods and whatnot. Is there any single place I can go that gives a thorough explanation and an example? It seems like it should be pretty easy.

6. There is BO feeding needed really. Just a constant supply of moving water and oxygen.... Oh and fish poop. Goldfish are the easiest/cheapest/hardiest. Perfect for the waste job. Catfish help clean the bottom along with pleco suckers or just some grass shrimp. You want to have a smaller plant reservoir then your tank. I actually threw a seed into my mini room-aquaponics and it sprouted in 4 hours. I shit you not. I just did it to mess around. Lol. Here's an update. These boogers are taking off! And of course my mini room setup. If anyone wants in depth detail i would be more than glad to do so.

Attached Files:

7. The tank.is under the grow box.

Water pumps up.to the reservoir and falls back into tank

Soil soaks.up water and gold fish.waste is firtalizer

That's what I meant by psuedo aquaponics, since I'm.using soil.instead of.perlite.or other things

8. Looks nice

9. I see. I see. What kind of soil? Like coco?

10. Dirt.from my yard.mixed with organic potting soil

11. The ultimate aquaponics garden.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9CCxdkOng"]1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost - YouTube[/ame]