Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Apartment Smoking

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by PlushToker, Aug 22, 2010.

1. I just moved into my new apartment at my college. The people who run the place said in the entrance presentation that the smoke detectors in the apartment are highly sensitive and are linked up to the fire department so they'll get notified whenever one goes off. I have smoked in one of these apartments before without problem, but I don't have a way to contact the people that I smoked with to ask if there was a trick to it. I was wondering if there were some way that I could maybe cover up the smoke detectors so that the smoke can't get to them that easy? I'm afraid to turn them off since they're being so closely monitored. It's nice outside right now, so I don't mind smoking outside, but I'm concerned for when the winter hits. Any tips?

2. i've heard putting a latex glove over the alarm does it.
    or duct tape a plastic bag over it, not 100% though, but I've known people whove used those.

3. For sure use a sploof if you're still paranoid after a bowl or so, then turn on the fan and open a window.

4. They warn you about the smoke?

What if you're just smoking cigs? In my opinion it's pretty fucked up that they wanna control what you do in the apartment, if you're paying to live there.

5. I was in the same exact situation last year. My room was pretty small, so when smoking a bowl, the room was basically hot boxed, you could see the smoke sitting in the air. There was a smoke detector in my room, but it never went off.

Best bet is duct tape/plastic bag or a glove.

6. that just sounds so controling i would put a bag or whatever you have to do because i know when i get my apartment im not letting anyone tell me i can't smoke in the house

7. most of those public apartments have strict restrictions on smoking because when people smoke cigarettes inside they could permanently damage the apartment which would decrease the living conditions.

Unless you hot box there shouldn't be enough smoke in the air to trigger the smoke alarm. I have a smoke alarm in my room and i just blow the smoke out the window and turn my fan on and i"ve never had any problems.

8. Theyre sensitive to a certain type of smoke.. Not weed smoke..

9. Im guessing they dont allow cigarette smoking? Ask them if they do. If not, you're kinda out of luck

10. This right here! You don't need to put anything over the smoke detector, there isn't enough carbon (I think that's what it is) to set it off like regular fire smoke.

But if you can't smoke in there in general it might be a little bit more difficult to pass off.

11. My usual toking spot is directly below a smoke detector in my apartment. It has only ever gone off twice in two years, both times a buddy blew smoke up directly at the detector (big bong hits too). As long as you don't do that, hotboxing the room is all good.

12. Bullshit!!! your apartment complex is F'ing with you so that you don't smoke in the apartment like has already been said

Secondly hooked directly to a fire department this is also Bullshit. What if the fire department that this is hooked to is already out on a call. More than likely its hooked to a monitoring service like Brinks or something then they call the dispatch center and then the dispatch center would dispatch a truck.

If it does go off pick up the phone and call your emergency services (911) and say hey I burnt some toast or bacon or something and that you don't need a fire truck. Then ask for a non emergency number that goes to the same place so your not dialing 911 every time you smoke up.

In reality though its Bullshit propaganda the smoke detector probably won't go off just smoking.

Sorry about the vulgarity I usually don't curse in my posts but stuff like this really pisses me off. You have idiots running the place filling unknowing people with Bullshit.

Did I mention this was Bullshit :)

DOT

13. Well, my college is small, and this specific apartment complex is the only underclass complex on campus, so they kinda monopolize student living, and they're really corrupt and idiotic. I'd just rather be safe then sorry.

14. no chance you can just disable/take out the battery when you're smoking?

i've lived in small nyc apts for years with smoke alarms and have never had a problem. can you open the window?

15. I guess I missed this...but no. Smoke is smoke.

There are two types if detectors. Ionization and photoelectric. Ionization uses small amounts of radiation to detect the invisible products of combustion, the electrically charged particles.

Photoelectric detectors use a light beam to detect visible smoke. When the light reflects of the particles, it goes off.

16. You don't need to do anything. Whoever said the thing about the type of smoke it detects was on the money, kind of. It's the volume and density of the smoke. Thats why cig smoke doesnt set off a fire alarm, but a burning sofa does. It's the size of whats burning and how much smoke it gives off. Do the plastic bag thing if you feel like you have to, but I'm living in the same situation as you. And using a sploof wouldn't be a bad idea, as it thins out the smoke and makes it smell awesome.

17. idk be careful about blocking it some go off when something blocks its light such as smoke, i had one that if a fucking spider crawled over it, the thing would go off.

18. i was under the impression that most smoke detectors were pressure sensitive. so just open the window and turn on a fan and you should be cool

19. Bingo. I didnt know if he meant this though. I thought he meant weed smoke vs cig smoke.

Ionization smoke detectors react quicker to fast burning fires, like wastebasket fires that produce little visible smoke. I assume this type will be the one to detect 'your' kind of smoke quicker.

Photoelectric smoke detectors go off to slower burning fires that produce a lot of smoke. So dont leave your cig laying on your couch.

20. I didn't know all of that.. Interesting. My apartment burned down last week, so I'm a little more fire savvy than I was a week ago. Bahaa