Anyone using odor eliminating CFL's?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by nu-bube, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hi all, I dug up a thred on odor eliminating cfl's today in another forum, but I thought Id bring up the subject here.

I am considering options for supplementary odor control. I love my 6" carbon filter/fan, but with my setup, I don't feel I will get 100% odor controll with it.

For me, Ozone is a nonstarter. ONA bucket would be my next choice, but it has issues too.

Anyway, I'd love to hear anyones thoughts. You guys ROCK!:hello:

Thank You Everyone.

2. dont think they work good on strong pot smell just regular house smells

3. Where ONA gel and Carbon filters don't work, those odor eliminating CFL's sure do bring it...

I'd just combo the ONAgel and Carbon Filter. Perhaps your carbon filter is homemade or installed wrong and that's why its not working. It should be fully capable of handling your needs from what I gather about them...

4. Odour eliminating CFLs work by emitting UV light that strikes a titanium dioxide coating, when this happens it oxidizes the air creating free radicals and negative ions (Ozone).

5. They destroy THC.

Don't have the link handy but it was discussed elsewhere.

6. so just basicaly the same thing a air purifier does with ionizing

7. Well, you know what, I can't find the discussion I wanted to reference. Basically the idea was that the ions created by the buib will break down THC.
    At the same time, running through a bunch of threads, people have used them and found them to work pretty well. You wouldn't want to grow exclusively with them but a few for supplemental lighting is ideal.

8. You could always stick the light inside an exhaust baffle. So while it won't help with the grow, it would still help with odour.

9. sounds like a waste of light that way haha

10. These actually look very interesting.shame I couldn't find any in the UK.If they work,it's almost as if they designed a CFL specifically for growers.They are looking at using these odor eliminating bulbs containing TiO2, in eliminating the stench from a piggery.If these bulbs can get rid of the stench of pig shit, they will most certainly work in eliminating the odor from cannabis growing.

11. Can you post the details of the filter and fan that you are using? Perhaps we can help you modify your existing setup to be more effective. This might save you time and money.

Pics also help.

I am using a combination of a 4" carbon filter and an ONA bucket and I have absolutely no odor in my house.

12. As long as you have proper contact time, you should be able to cover any remaining smells with a Glade plugin. Carbon filters are the industry standard for a reason.

You could look at changing your house bulbs to the odour eliminators. They are supposed to work, and quite well. I wouldn't use them in your grow though.

If you're worried about smell remaining in your exhaust, your best option really is the ozone generator. You could run one inline, no contact with you or your plants. But, if you are using your filter correctly, you really shouldn't need it.