Anyone use Great White?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Apr 13, 2011.

1. anybody else running the mykos wettable powder? i just started using it 2 days ago and im pumped to see the results.

i wont run without mykos and figured the mykos wettable has to kick ass as well.

2. I have to say since starting the great white I see a huge difference but it may be the WHOLE organic thing...does anyone know if they change the ph? I've heard a few different things now in different places

3. I also bought some Great White & was wondering how often do you guys suggest using this Great White in a coco setup?

My seeds are just finishing germination & ready to go into the plugs tomorrow, should I start adding GW now? I know you usually don't add nutes during the first 2 weeks, but I've read some other stuff saying GW is ok at any stage?

4. [quote name='"JohnnyScience"']I also bought some Great White & was wondering how often do you guys suggest using this Great White in a coco setup?

My seeds are just finishing germination & ready to go into the plugs tomorrow, should I start adding GW now? I know you usually don't add nutes during the first 2 weeks, but I've read some other stuff saying GW is ok at any stage?[/quote]

Once at germ then i do it again at transplant

5. I thought I read it gets washed away though with daily water feedings? There isn't a need to use it more often then?

So once at germ into plugs, then again when transferring plugs to airpots & then how often from there?

6. Use Mykos instead. Great White is a rip off. There is a bunch of junk in there you don't need for growing herb, and it lowers the spore count of the one thing you do need Glomus Intradices. It also adds trichoderma to your soil, which if there is nothing there for it to feed on (pathogenic microbes), it will attack your other beneficials. RTI, the company that makes Mykos holds the patent on harvesting Glomus Intradices, until recently Plant Success purchased their mychorizal spore from RTI. Until recently (the last 20 years) RTI was just a government contractor for forest replanting efforts. They have just recently moved into the retail market.

Most mychorizal spore is purchased from RTI anyways. Might as well get it from the source.

7. [quote name='"trickJames"']Use Mykos instead. Great White is a rip off. There is a bunch of junk in there you don't need for growing herb, and it lowers the spore count of the one thing you do need Glomus Intradices. It also adds trichoderma to your soil, which if there is nothing there for it to feed on (pathogenic microbes), it will attack your other beneficials. RTI, the company that makes Mykos holds the patent on harvesting Glomus Intradices, until recently Plant Success purchased their mychorizal spore from RTI. Until recently (the last 20 years) RTI was just a government contractor for forest replanting efforts. They have just recently moved into the retail market.

Most mychorizal spore is purchased from RTI anyways. Might as well get it from the source.[/quote]

I believe the source of most of the spores that we see out there is a company named Mycorrhizal Applications, who are located up in Oregon.

8. http://reforest.com/about/

This is who actually makes Mykos and Azos. When you call them they answer the phone as "RTI".

Xtreme gardening is the retail side of this company. It's actually a much, much, smaller part of what they do and from what I understand, the owners son's pet project.

"RTI began pro­duc­ing com­mer­cial cul­tures in 1996 and is the nation’s old­est and largest pro­ducer of qual­ity myc­or­rhizal inoc­u­lants".

9. I think Microbe Man explained it better than I could have over on the organics forum... :wave:

10. Does this need to be mixed with RO or is tap water ok?

11. Can this be used in Hydroponics set up or just soil . How much per litre do you add . All information help full as I will be getting it sent to uk but b4 I buy would like all info . Happy green fingers

12. There's plenty of this kind of product already in the UK mate. In fact you can go to the garden center and get it. Google `rootgrow` it's been around for ages.

Whether it's effective in a chemically fed environment is another question, and I think this thread put into perspective what a massive part the placebo effect plays on how people judge some of these products.

I'm not saying they don't work, but when you see that some people are putting them on top of the pot, and then still claiming the product made a difference, you know that that is one definite case of the grower seeing something which isn't there.

The fungus need to be in direct contact with the root system straight away in order to establish a relationship of any kind, and even then it's not guaranteed that they will, or that the fungi will thrive even if they do.

It's basically a beneficial fungus which acts as an extension of the plants roots. They act like fine feeder roots and are responsible for the uptake of nutrients otherwise difficult for the plant to absorb. In chemical gardening where the nutrients are already chelated and in plant available form, it's debatable not only what difference an active mycorrhizal association would make even if it were to survive, but whether the cannabis plant would support it anyway.

This is an excerpt from a publication on the subject. It explains that some plants produce fine feeder roots anyway, and are in many cases unlikely to benefit greatly from mycorrhizal innoculation.

We know that cannabis is one of those; if you take a look at the roots which come out of your drain holes, you'll see the fuzz which extends of the main root. That's the feeder system which mycorrhizal fungus are intended to replicate.
    Read the highlighted bold bit is especially interesting in regards to whether or not these products will work as set out by some, in an indoor environment.

The main role of mycorrhizal associations is to acquire nutrients by exploring the soil volume with hyphae that are both more responsive and more extensive than the roots themselves. However, roots of some species of plants are also capable of effectively exploring large soil volumes and responding to temporary soil resources, and these species are likely to have faculative mycorrhizal association, or be nonmycorrhizal. The production of fine roots or associations with mycorrhizal fungi are two alternative strategies that both require plants to expend metabolic energy on their root systems. . Plants generally do not support both high levels of mycorrhizal colonisation and root systems with fine/active roots, because of the high metabolic cost that would result

Ultimately, these inoculations are intended to facilitate the uptake of largely immobile or tightly bound nutrients. In container growing where all the plants needs are met by a constant supply of bottled nutrition, it's unlikely there would be much of a difference in final yield.

A proper side by side would be interesting but, as with a lot of these things, hard (near impossible) to come by.

13. i use Roots OregonismXL

which i believe is the same thing as Great White

i use it when i transplant fresh clones into coco or potting up a plant

i also water it in (few tsp per gal) once every couple weeks in veg

i know roots oregonismxl will stand up to chem ferts, not 100% sure about great white

14. I use great white. I love it. I've had the same container for 2 years and barely put a dent in it. I will use it once at every stage. Clone transplant, middle veg. and flip. But I will randomly use it when I feel necessary. I will use it in my teas and with molasses mix.

15. Well thankyou. I will look in uk to find it thanks for info. I hope it not block hydrosystem. And to all mother gangsters lolly pop anf fim your plant s. Respect peeccee out.

16. Does Advanced Nutrient has an equivalent for Great White?

17. AN has Tarantula and Phirana

they also liquid versions of those 2 innoculants

but, @ $164 bucks for a L., id go w/ something else

Great White, Mykos, Roots Oregonism XL......... anything like those will do what ya want em 2

i use Great White mixed in my feed water about every 2 weeks in veg and once in the first couple weeks of flower

cant complain

18. I got a lb of mycorrhizae on ebay for like 15 bucks..dust my roots with it when transplanting but not sure it makes a difference

19. I agree

20. if youre not using great white or orca you should be....if u dont notice a difference in your plants i will quit growing forever