Anyone tried or heard of Mykos/Xtreme Gardening?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by boardphreak, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dear Fellow Growers:

So i've been posting on another thread about mycorrhiza, especially my disappointment with certains products that i can go in to if any requests it, but i've found another mycorrhizal product that's a lot cheaper than anything else out there, and the company claims to have grown giant vegetables with it. I've bought some, and am trying it out, but i'm wondering if any else out there (in the vastness of cyberspace) that has tried or heard of Mykos/Xtreme Gardening.

I know quite a bit about mycorrhiza, but i'd like to know if anyone has tried it, if you like it, got good results, bad results, etc.

Let me know, i enjoy a good discussion.

B.

2. Can sandiegoHAZE, 1greengarden1 and/or humboldtGIRL be far behind?

Watch. Look. See.

Wee!

LD

3. This really isn't happening is it? Am I too medicated?Is this groundhog day?:smoking:

Ok, bring on the shills.

4. Some things are too stupid to do - even for money.

Discussing this guy's product might be one of those deals.

I'm stunned that he/she declined to defend the link that I asked him about.

The level of stupidity of that site promoting and selling this product was beyond anything resembling cogent thought and/or scientific endeavor.

To say the least.

LD

5. On another note - let's all rejoice in the music known as 'Ska' the forerunner of reggae and one of the major artists of the 'ska' paradigm was/is Desmond Dekkar.

Here's a classic ska song - King of Ska

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddK8_VCu7Q"]King of Ska[/ame]

All praises to his divine grace, Haile Selassie...............

LD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ok i dont understand whats going on in this thread but......isnt mychorizai mychorizai? Sure greatwhite might have more species or w/e but I think even the cheapy myco products are good.

7. #8 boardphreak, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
    possum: if you spend a little time researching the different species, say at INVAM, you'll find that some species are named differently, but are in fact the same. then you have different species of mycorrhiza that responds differently to a different environment. glomus deserticola responds best in a desert, etc

My angle here is that i've spend 80bucks on 8oz of great white that stank of B12 when i opened it up, and saw little difference compared to my control (i'm in the process of getting the images of my other comp between work, school and growing, so i'll have them up in a couple of days.)

As for the spore count: honestly, yes. it sold me. when i know that each spore isn't guaranteed to germinate, and i want a mycorrhizal association on my plants, i'd rather have more spores. Wouldn't you? I understand the full potential of mycorrhiza. It increases nutrient uptake leading to higher levels of compounds, vitamins, phytochemicals, terpenes, etc.

My thoughts on this is that if mycorrhiza increases the levels of all these other things, especially terpenes, then THC can be increased as well. Why not? THC is a terpene after all. I'd also have to supply the mycorrhiza with the right nutrients to 'feed' to its host-plant, but i want to make sure that my mycorrhiza works first. Granted, i can only tell from the increased root-structure, and increased bio-mass, and obviously not from my levels phytochemicals. But i'm confident in my theory.

So why Mykos? I don't have any results with it yet, so i can't really tell you. If it doesn't work, i will let you know, and will talk shit about that company as well. It does seem a little too good to be true. But i paid $16 for a kg of it, and it claims all these spores, and sure it's only one species (glomus intraradices) but from what i've researched, that's all i need. So i'm going to try it. If any of you can convince me otherwise (as in show me pictures of a control vs great white or plant success or whatever), or a product that has a high spore count for a small price, then great. Please do.

Also, bodhisattva posted a method on growing your own mycorrhiza on another thread. Thank you. It is, however, a little bit of a pain in the ass, and you do need some mycorrhiza to start, which means i need to find a quality source anyway. And eventually, i'll probably end up growing my own.

Warmly,

B.

NB. Dr. Robert Lindermann has some interesting research on mycorrhiza as well.

8. Yeah, I couldn't agree more.. I honestly thought I was seeing things when I read the thread title.

It's so bad it's almost embarrassing.

Not that I would anyway, but all the trolling has assured that I will never purchase that product, but also I will make sure to not recommend it to anyone who asks..

9. I know this is a forum, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and everything, but seriously dude.. what's the problem here exactly? At what point in this thread did you have to blush?

Honestly, you're overeacting a little don't you think? And out of curiosity, what results have you seen using mycoapply? maybe we could compare regimes to see where you excelled and I failed.

Thank you kindly,

B.

10. I think everyone that vists the organic section knows Im knew to organic growing. I have heard and reads about this product. Im planning on ordering great white. I was wondering if myco is good. Im really looking for LD to say yes or no and then say use this one or for Chunk to do the same.

Im assuming since LD didnt really respond he/you think its a joke?

11. hatchplzhelp

Some things in life aren't all that complicated and this is one of them.

Here's my read on this whole debacle.................

Go to both web sites of each product being talked about, i.e. Myko vs Mycorrhizal Applications
    and spend about 20-30 minutes at each site.

Consider the following..................

1. Which web site offers you links to industry professionals who are using their products?

2. Which web site tells you who is the scientist behind that company and what are this individual's credentials?

3. Which web site has links to peer-reviewed studies using their products?

4. Which web site indicates that they have a clue about ANYTHING?

The thread parent and his 'marketing team' of 3 or 4 sock-puppets poisoned the well from the very beginning and I have to wonder why? If their product is this fantastic then where's the 'beef'? Show me ANYTHING resembling a cogent, logical argument on why one would choose this product over that one?

People who have to lie, deceive, pull out the smoke and mirrors are suspect from the get-go from my perspective. It's that whole 'grow store' mentality.

Again - review both web sites, study and make your own decisions. I already have - YMMV

One of their products claims to increase yields up to 20% - ROFLMAO - Seriously? Does anyone with more than 2 brain cells available to rub together actually believes that a product of this profound level which could save 3rd World Countries hasn't been put out on the market - can you imagine what countries like India, China, Mexico, et al. wouldn't give to increase their agriculture production levels by 20% to feed their populations?

F*cking stupid beyond belief. Mykos should hook up with 'Advanced Nutrients' up in Canada for the dumbest claims ever in the area of growing plants.

Peace

LD

12. I haven't used mycoapply, and I'm not trying to push their product. I think I WILL be trying it in the near future.

I don't know if you are a shill for mykos or what. I do know that I avoid purchasing anything that makes out of this world claims for 'yield increases'.This is targeted for Cannabis growers most of the time it seems, and they seem to gobble it up. Weird isn't , how EVERY grow store is full to the brim with products that will yield up to %20 more..If that's the case, then using all these products combined would have your yields at 2000-3000% more than everyone else..I've yet to run across the elite forums where groups of grow store junkies are pulling in insane yields that put everyone to shame...

Organic growers, whether of Cannabis or other, seem to be much more aware of the grow store buzzwords, and avoid them like the plague. Products like these come and go, as people eventually figure out that they are paying for slick marketing, and word games.

I encourage you to buy some of the mykos stuff, and any other brand of myco, whether mycoapply, or whatever.

Do a controlled test, with the only variable being the myco.

Say, 2 plants with mykos, 2 with x brand myco, and 2 without.

My guess, is the plants with myco will be similar, and the 2 without will be lesser.

Remember, last but not least.. The number one way we vote , in this country, is with our dollar.Are you going to vote for the hydro store mindset?

I'm not.

Peace

13. #14 Possuum, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010

Phreak, I know the above quote was not directed to me but in response to another poster. I'm not intending to make you the target of any of my responses. Intent and perception are often and unfortunately two different things. Somehow you've become the lightning rod for this discussion. Not sure how it happened but it seems that to be the case. As for me, my knowlege is free to those who ask and people can take it or leave it. After all, one gets what one pays for.

However, one thing is absolutely certain resulting from the thread(s). People herein have been given a wealth of information in the short span of a few days. It should hit us between the eyes like an "eureka!" moment. Use it to our advantages. In this vein of thought I feel that it has been a worthful discussion topic.

Here’s a link with some documented and footnoted reference material. In my research I came across only a few other studies that documented their results with mycorrhizae. Those studies were conducted in and published by institutions of learning, i.e. .edu domains. I can't think of any reason why results using mycorrhizae for any VAM plant species could vary too significantly but I could be wrong on that. I honestly think the academic world has not come to final conclusion on the topic! There are some things they know for sure but they're only beginning to understand what it is they don't know. So, research will continue on.

http://www.mycorrhizae.com/index.php?cid=167

14. Actually, mycorrhiza and azospirillum are both widely used in countries such as china, india and mexico. In fact, India's educational system invests in their universities to study the effects of mycorrhiza and azospirillum, and is basically the standard over there right now. In Mexico, azospirillum is cultivated and distributed to the farmers for free as an alternative to expensive fertilizers.

On another note, LD: logically, if a product has 50 spores in a teaspoon and another has 2000 spores in a teaspoon, and you know not all spores are guaranteed to germinate, and you only apply a teaspoon to your plant, wouldn't you want to apply more spores to ensure a mycorrhizal colonization? Logically right? and if that second product is also a lot cheaper (less than 20% of the price of great white for example) where does YOUR logic come in not to try it? (other than the paychecks from mycoapply)

15. #16 boardphreak, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
    Possum. You're right: giant f*cking anything is mainly genetics. That's why those giant pumpkin seeds sell for around $700 each from the world record pumpkins: the genetics.
    Amaranthus knows his stuff, but his product really isn't what it should be. Research mycorrhiza beyond amaranthus. Check out bob lindermann. Look for some indian research on mycorrhiza, and you will realize what SHOULD be happening when you have mycorrhiza. That's why i'm not satisfied. Mycorrhiza is an incredible little fungus, and although amaranthus knows about it, his product does not work as well as I know it should. There should be a serious difference.

16. Ok. I get it. I got it! Amaranthus' company is Mycorrhizal Applications and Lindermans is Plant Health. This really has been all about whose mad-science is more-better than the other guys mad-science. Sheesh! Couldn't you folks find a better venue to mark your territory! There are plenty of trees in the park to pee on. Give us a break.

Dude. Come on. Really?!?!?!?!

17. I don't think the word "our" was a typo. Fruedian perhaps but no typo. You're busted Plant Health guy!!!

18. Set up like a bowlin' pin
    Knocked down, it gets to wearn' thin

19. oops lol.