Anyone know what kind of bug this is?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by xpurplehaze420x, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 1374437613183.jpg
    According.to my cousin something was dripping out of its tail. I just want to know what it is before i decided to kill it or not.
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Carne Seca, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
    It's hard to tell by that photo but it looks like a Robber Fly.  They tend to eat insects that are pests such as grasshoppers, deer flies, horse flies, and wasps.   They do, however, bite and it fucking hurts.  They are beneficial but at a respectful distance.  Their favorite prey is the horse fly.  

3. Yummy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4.  Indeed.  That's a robber fly.  The most fucking badass flies that ever lived.

These monsters actually outmaneuver and capture dragonflies!

5. #5 Carne Seca, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013

They have been known to attack and kill hummingbirds.  Promachus Rufipes have been seen latching on to hummingbirds when they come to feed.  The hummingbirds fly about 20 yards and fall dead and the Promachus Rufipes (also known as the red-footed cannibal fly) would continue to feed.   Bad ass is the right description for them.   

6. This is one of the reasons I respect insects and similar critters. They're terrifying creatures in a unique way.

7. Unique insect are cool and a trip although they honestly scare the fuck out of me because i dont know if there dangerous or not..... shit cray

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. You're are supposed to stick that pointed thing you call its tail into your pee hole. It gives youu the craziest trip in the world.

The fact that even entered your mind makes me afraid... very afraid.   :eek:

10. mallophora fautrix is my favorite genus of robber flies

[​IMG]

this species in particular has a complex and interesting life history.

They prey on bees and wasps, yet their larvae are ecto-parasites of Scarabidae larvae (scarab beetles and june bugs, etc)

Another interesting family of flies, are the small headed flies, a strange family of flies that are generally parasitoids of tarantulas and trapdoor spiders.  These are interesting because unlike most parasitoids, they actually remain dormant inside their host for ten years, and sometimes longer.  Because tarantulas live so long, and take over 5 years to sexually mature, the flies must time their emergence correctly, otherwise, they'd destroy all the mygalomorphs, and cause their own extinction!

11. Hey guys, ive got a few more critters crawling around that i need some help IDing 1378947351681.jpg this ones about an inch and a half in length, really nervous so i cant get a decent picture. Hides in an opening in my gutter

1378947439338.jpg this ones my new buddy and im just wondering what species it is, its about an inch or so long.

1378947542610.jpg
    Cool looking little spider, only about a centimeter or so but really cool none the less

1378947603260.jpg
    Ive got no clue about this thing. I atleast researched spiders in my area (i think the top ones a brown recluse) but this thing is just wierd lol

12. #1 is agelenopsis, a grass spider.  These get pretty big, 20 mm body length,

#2 is likely Araneus diadematus, hard to tell without a ventral shot, but definitely Araneus.

#3 is Leucauge venusta, a species of long-jawed orb weaver.  Very beautiful spiders!

#4 is not a spider, but a true bug (hemiptera). This one in particular is a long-necked seed bug.

13. The second one gave me the goose bumps! Looks like it has poison.

14. I just know the scientific name, which is "Fuckdatshito Bee"

15. Saw this beast early in the morning

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

16. Banded argiope!  I love argiopes, they're neat spiders, remind me a bit of Nephila.

17. Spurge Hawk-moth larva. First time I saw one was when I took this picture.

[​IMG]