Anyone know what is causing this?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Foxymel, Apr 5, 2019.

1. 6E08E913-089B-4B4B-A29D-7173B44A17CB.jpeg EB67D65E-B26A-4B9B-B970-D5473C701129.jpeg So I have a lot of action going on in my veggie and herb garden. Most of it good. But I’ve found some leaf squiggles and discoloration on my tomato plants, which are between 3-4 ft, all grown from seed! There’s lots of flowers so I imagine tomatoes aren’t far behind.I imagine the first is caused by some kind of bug and the yellow leaf color i have no clue. It’s not on a lot of leaves but I’d like to be able to fix it fast before it spreads. Anyone know what’s going on? Thank you for any help! Oh, and unrelated but I got a big surprise when I was pulling weeds. My squash plants have squash!! One is double the size of a pear. Anyway, here’s pics.

2. How old are those?
    I've been wanting to play with tomatoes and cucumbers.
    Do you put them on a 12/12 like weed after they are so old?

3. First pic looks like Powdery Mildew further up the leaf and that would account for the tip kill.

Second pic is a leaf miner tunneling between layers.

Green Cure or Baking soda @ 1 tablespoon per gallon will deal with the PM same as for cannabis.

Leaf miners are a bitch as it's protected between the skin of the plant, Cut off infected portion of the leaf and dispose of far away.

Next up will be the Tomato horn worms so have BT on standby or just go ahead and spry for them.
    Same as we use for cannabis for the Tobacco bud worm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt), is a biological non chemical treatment against Caterpillars only. Not useful against anything else.
    I treat both my cannabis and tomatoes the same with weekly sprays of both cure and BT.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Squash and related large leaf plants are especially susceptible to Powdery Mildew and the same Cure or Soda should be used on them as well.

BNW

5. I grow the tomatoes in my backyard. I think they’re about 2 months. They grow really fast! Cucumbers are a good idea. I think I will add those. I am also growing carrots, spinach, winter squash, basil, catnip, chamomile, cilantro, dill, oh and marijuana!! Well, 2 inside and 3 outside. Never growing MJ outdoors again.

6. Are they organic?

7. The squash leaves were starting to get pm and I’ve been spraying with milk/water solution. It’s really helping. I went ahead and sprayed my tomatoes and the rest of my garden. I just got ladybugs. Do they eat leaf miners?

8. @Foxymel
    Oh, my bad. I thought those were in a grow tent. Duh...I'm a big dummy

9. Lol! Nah I’d def not invest that much money into growing anything other than MJ. That will pay for itself when I don’t have to buy weed, growing the strain of my choice and totally organic.

10. Green Cure is Potassium Bicarbonate
    Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate.
    Both are non toxic and approved for organic farm use.
    Potassium bicarbonate is used in grapes to control PM.
    BT is as low toxicity as you'll find and still be able to grow cannabis and tomatoes outside.
    I'm in So Calif and the moths are relentless. Without BT I'd have such a bad infestation of caterpillars my Cannabis wouldn't be useable. Learned that my first grow.
    I flower exclusively outside and I do it year round in our warm winters but it does take a bit of work.
    They might but their primary diet is aphids. If the mining is fresh pinch the ends of the tubes and try and kill the fly maggot that is doing the damage. it's only in the leaf a couple of weeks before it drops out and burrows into the ground. Cut off part or all of the leaf is the other option.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’ve been spraying with milk and water and I thought it was getting better but it’s growing again. I’m going to try the baking soda solution. I’m going to spray my MJ plants for prevention. I have one that’s pretty far into flowering. Is that something that shouldn’t get on buds? I’m against using neem on edible and smokable plants. I’ve been researching homemade remedies and there’s a lot of them!

I got my ladybugs in the mail. When I got home the box was covered in ants. I had to keep hitting it on the ground to knock the ants off. I’ve never seen so many ants! Hopefully they’re not dead after all that. They’re in the fridge until it gets later then me and my daughter can release them. We had fun the last time. They were all gone the next day tho. This time I got 1500 ladybugs so maybe a few will stick around. :)