Anyone know of any ways to cool a room besides a window AC unit?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by HighOnTheHill, Jun 16, 2009.

1. So I have a grow cab set up in my bedroom. My apartment is TINY. It's cooled via 1 window AC unit that's placed in the kitchen. Less than 10 feet from my grow box, without the wall.

Since I run a cool apartment (68*-70*) I just decided to vent my cab directly into the bedroom. I'm using a 268 CFM blower.

Problem is, during the day, the cab eventually warms my room up to about 74*-75* which eventually heats my cab up to 82*-83*... with my CFL' for veg.

When I originally tested the fan, the temps were holding steady @ about 75*-77* with the CFL's.

My 400w HPS runs hotter. This is a problem. I have no idea what temps it's GOING to run, because I dont want to run it all day to find out how much it heats my room up, as well as my cab.

I'm looking for a CHEAP or free used window A/C unit via craiglist, but if I can't get that....

If I were to run about 5' of ducting and drew my intake air from the kitchen by installing a PC fan and just laying it on the floor, it'd be pulling in the cold air in the kitchen just around the corner. Could this remedy my problem? I'd exhaust my air into the kitchen, but that'd mean rigging up my blower exhaust to a fan, which is rather.. inconvenient.

You can check out my grow journal in my sig for pics of my cab setup as well as the A/C unit location vs. my cab location.

I start running the HPS in about a week, so I'm trying to find a quick solution here. I got a feeling my HPS is going to be running 90*+ by the end of each 12-hour cycle. Before the lights come on temps are around 74* (ALL of my fans shut off with my lights, considering leaving my PC fans running overnight)

2. Ah well. I'm an idiot and found a temporary solution. My ceiling fan in the bedroom was actually blowing air down. I like a breeze on me when I sleep. This is also the "winter" setting as its pushing the hot air down.

So I flipped the switch and within several minutes my temps had dropped 4 degrees in my grow cab. I have no door for my bedroom, and its RIGHT NEXT to the kitchen, so the fan is somewhat pulling the cold air in.

I think I'll just get an oscilating fan and have it blowing the cold air towards my room as well.