Anyone into Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adam G, Nov 30, 2005.

1. If fighting is in your thoughts for taking ANY martial arts its the wrong reason.

I took Thai Style boxing and Jeet Kune Do for 8 years. Never been in a fight and proud of it. But very scared at the same time, Scared to seriously hurt someone. Unfortunatel that's the yin and yang of martial arts.

If you do it, Be respectful and honorable and do it for the rights reasons. And for a side note, No martial art is better than another at perfection. Be good at what you enjoy.

2. Three years of theoretical Muai Thai. I've never actually fought or even sparred, i learn it strictly as a discipline of impertinance.

It's alot of fun.

3. lol....wasnt makin a comment towards you personally, my brother still trains in twd and i kick his ass regularly and im retired in the field. im just saying you sound like you enjoy and like the idea of learning MA. im simply suggesting that you get your money's worth! and noone learns twd for kicking tech. lol muay thai or karate are better for that.karate is 80% kicking.

and to the kid who said hes a brown belt in kung-fu...YOURE FULL OF SHIT 1)there arent belts in kung-fu...they go by sashes 2) there isnt a brown sash period... 3)white sash is top rank showing clarity of mind second highest being gray and lowest is black..also it takes more than 10years to achieve a top rank in kung-fu...i only went to green sash which is 2 after black..that took me a lil over 3 years..a blackbelt in twd takes 1 1/2 years, where im from kung-fu dominates in combat with other styles...buddy of mine still competes but not to win a "medal" he just goes inthere and makes it to the last bout and breaks a nose just to prove that he's lethal and that twd stands no chance...i mean come on you can learn twd at your local Y for fvcks sake!

i got into kung-fu after making the mistake of wasting a year on twd and 6mos in kenpo..

just trust me and try something besides american twd or karate...youll be very impressed.

once again...nothing directed towards you ..only chopshop versions of MA, if you want to stick with twd move to korea and learn the real deal

4. lol, contrare...if you ever attended a tourney youd know that there are dominant styles...no matter how well a person knows each style there will always be the more precise,

jeet kun do is kung-fu that bruce lee created hisself to make more money...ive never seen one person studying this form and compete..its pretty much kung-fu with a different name that bruce lee evolved, since he was a master he somehow thought that his theory on distance (which only works for him) is farfetched..it takes years to learn to channel energy in such a way that 2 cm is enuff to knock someone on there ass.

5. I started studying Chito Ryu Karate (very basic) when I was about 4 years old. Quit when I was 14, only 2 belts from black. This thread just reminded how much I want to return to it.

6. You talking about the two finger punch? Yes, I can. I may have worded it wrong but, Yes arts are not all equal, they all serve their purpose and have their advantages. It's just how that is applied. As for Jeet kune do, you are almost right on where it comes from but if you want to know truly the difference - It takes all the showmanship out of martial arts, all the uneeded moves, It's practical, to be able to defend yourself, Unlike most structred martial arts.

7. Tae Kwon do for about 3 years now, im about to test for my black stripe on my red belt, which puts be two away from black belt.

8. Don't be too envyous.. it's about to come to an end pretty soon... but it's been great for now... a nice break... I'm actually kinda looking forward to going back to work.. how sick is that!!! LoL I have one more year left on my degree and then I have no excuse not to work.. so I get one last year... probably gonna start working part time though, cause I'm not sure I can be a bum much longer... LoL

~ Terpsichore

9. My tuppence worth:
    Kung Fu, literally translated, means time and effort. You could paint a picture and call it kung fu. Kung Fu is generally a term applied to Chinese martial arts. Thus anyone claiming to have studied "kung fu" is either being very non specific, doesn't know what style they are taking or is not being entirely truthful (either as their own fault or as a result of really bad teaching).

Tae Kwon Do- did that for a number of years. Yes the kicking techniques are a little too precise for my liking but having trained it for a substantial amount of time and still practicing kicks and keeping up flexibility I find that I can out perform a lot of people when it comes to the kicking in the current art I study- more on that later.

As to dominant styles- there's probably no conclusive evidence for any one style to be dominant over all others. Everyone claims that their style is the best and most all inclusive comprehensive art in the world- hmmmmm.... sorry but nothing is perfect. If person A knows their art better than person B does then it's generally my experience that person B will win. Though it depends on how well someone is suited to their own particular art.

Furthermore it is my opinion that everyone has an art which they feel fits them best- that they can do according to their own anatomy, physiology or psychology. At the end of the day you may find something works for you whilst somone else may be working at something that works for them. The inverse is also true.

There is probably no thechnique which does not carry it's own use- be that practical or for conditioning. There is also NO technique without weakness or flaw.

As to what I do- Like I said- TKD for a number of years and i've done bits of other stuff too. Currently though I do Wing Chun Kuen ("kung fu") which is considered to be a good little style by many. It's strength is in it's simplicity- nothing is beyond anyone and though mastery isn't easy by a long way- competence is not reserved for the gifted few- in my experience. At the end of the day it works for me and I enjoy it and think it fits at the moment- things may change or they may not. We also train a bit of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a ground work element (though my attendance in the latter has been rather poor of late due to work commitments).

Whatever you are doing just do it, don't be afraid to critisize it yourself but please just ignore arrogant arseholes that tell you your art is useless. Make your OWN mind up!

Love and biscuits