Anyone into Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adam G, Nov 30, 2005.

1. I do Tae Kwon Do. Have only been at it a little over 4 months but love it all. Often go 3 times a week now.

I know a few black belts and some of my family already did it which is how I got into it, although I did look at other martial arts and TKD sounded the better out of those I looked at.

So yeah, anyone into any Martial Arts?

I want to do some weapons training, I've played around with weapons but had no real training. My only skill with weapons is what I've done with poi.

But doing martial arts patterns can be kinda trippy while high.

2. I did TKD for a while I did the point sparring at turney and stuff cuz im 6' but i only wheigh like 125 at the time so I could kick the smaller peole asses in my weight class it worked out whell, got alot of tko's. but that was a while ago..

3. When I was a child, I learned Oyama Karate and my father was a boxer. He passed on many of his techniques. I also studied kickboxing and Muah Thai.
    I am interested in learning Brazilian Jujitsu. My hubby and my oldest know a bit of judo. I love martial arts.

4. My husband has been into Ninjitsu since he was about 14, so like 14 years.. LoL... but his is a lifestyle, not just an art... he's really into it though... he loves it... he's even teaching our daughter...

~Terpsichore

5. my dad has had 3 Kung Fu schools. SO sence i was little ive been doing it on and off. i mean sence my dad got me into when i was little, i dont do it know but if feels like shit comes naturaly. like blocks and shit, like i guess he worked me pretty good when i was like 7-10 cuase its like a natural reaction kinda. Idk my family doesnt really like TKD becuase theres so much kicking.
    my dad used to tell me how he would get kicked out of tournaments becuase all the TKD peopel would try to kick him and he would punch them in the shin and the judges thought it was cruel i guess. But thats what ive been taught to do. i also WONT kick above the knees, to risky, might as well hit them with your fist.

but yea i have a lot of good memories from when i was little. Doing diffrent sets with my dad and a bunch of his students when i was like 8. i even remember along time ago watching my dad breaking 4 bricks, THAT WAS INTENSE. but we havent done much martial arts latly. to busy and shit
    edit: ooo yea my mom joined a kung fu school and thats where my parents met. they both did tai chi also

6. Yeah. I did Tae Kwon Do for a while. Almost had black belt, but then didn't have some requirements done. Then it was getting in the way of school. So then I stopped for a little bit. I went back next summer, got my requirements done and was ready to test. Too bad they only have 2 black belt tests a year =( I would have it, but then school started again. So I havent been back in a few years. But yeah... TKD was fun.

7. first off taekwondo is is a face to face style that has no revolving techniques...ever notice how you see 9year old blackbelts at tournies?thats because anyone can do it.i studied kung-fu for 3 years..which sounds vague, to be specific it was mantis longfist, which requires a maximum level of self-discipline and focus. training can be brutal at times, though nowhere near the amount of muay-thai.i have a pal thats studied muy thai for 11 years, and i can say that the routes he takes to be successful are definently brutal(such as beating his shins with bamboo rods to deaden the nerve endings)all in all tho TWD is a waste of money and time, i know 4 different weapons(nunchaku,bowstaff,3sect staff,and melon hammers) and im able to protect my self from real-life situations as TKD is strictly show..a green sash in longfist can easily defend againts 2-3 1st degree blackbelts in tkd.dont take my word for it, follow up on your own.

8. i am a brown belt in kung fu also i am student of a ju jitsu master in deadly arts

9. I was in a class for Tae Kwon Do before I had to drop it because I moved. If I could, I'd take Kung Fu now. I'd rather learn that than Tae Kwon Do any day. But that is probably just personal prefrence and has nothing to do with how "showy" Tae Kwon Do is.

10. Aikido for the past 12 years...in addition to open hand, we also work w/the sword (boken), 2 swords (nito), short staff (jo)...occasionally I'll train w/the long staff (bo) too...a couple of years ago I started also studying Iado, which is a very cool samurai art of sword drawing and fighting...in college I trained in judo and did a little kick boxing too.

Aikido rocks...its a great martial art and has a lot of spiritual and practical benefits...you can also practice it for your entire life, unlike some of the hard arts...however, its also something that's very difficult to "master"...if you like a challenge and enjoy always working to find the next level, it can be very rewarding...no disrepect to the other martial arts, but if you just want to puch & kick & break things, try tae kwan do or karate

Peace

11. I think you and my husband would have a lot to talk about....

~ Terpsichore

12. Aikido is also something I would be interested in taking. Kung Fu, Aikido, Ju Jitsu, Nin-Jitsu (Mainly for the stealth aspect) and uh... That's it I guess. Can't have too much on the wishlist.

13. ............um mmmkay

14. Well I've been taking kickboxing lessons for a year now and I like it alot. I train 2hours a day, 3days a week and usually on the third day which is thursday we do sparring lessons in the ring 3 rounds or more. I also like the Muay Thai (the fighting syle of Thailand) style of kickboxing which I practice every so often.

Since kickboxing was the very first sport I ever really got into, It was hard at first. I would get tired easily and even this little kid that was half my size would get the best of me in our practice fights. It was a real challenge at first but I hung in there and after the first 6months I started loving to have a good fighter paired up with me in the ring.

The kickboxing lessons really came in handy in school fights and brawls. I hit so fast that people I go in fights with would fall to the ground and go into fetal positions with thier hands covering thier head. I really didn't like hurting people though as it is not in my nature to do so or enjoy it for that matter. But hey, if people want to start shit for no reason then they'll get what they deserve.

15. weedseed. I didn't start this thread as a competition to which martial art is the best and if you've studied any martial art you know it's not about being a 'I'm so much better than you because...' which is how your reply sounded.

You've really gotta come down off your ego. This is the problem with competition sparring. People go in with no real techniques and just go to beat the crap out of someone. If that is the case, take up boxing, different sports their for everyone.

People who come from other arts to our school might come to TKD for the kicking techniques or those who do WTF style of TKD might come to an ITF school to develop skill rather than focusing on competition.

Like woah, calm down a bit, it ain't a competition. ;)

16. No doubt...you sound like a cool couple. I'm a bit envious of your current leisure lifestyle, unfortunatley, I've gotta work my ass off to keep making ends meet....but no complaints, I like my work and enjoy the challenges of life.

:smoke:

17. I agrre with weed seed, but I am also very competitive. My hubby and oldest girl think much like you, That's why they take judo. I don't care much for the gentle way let's get in there and kick some butt! I haven't fought in years but have been considering it , I would llke too one last time. When I train in muah thai , I train to tolerate pain and give it. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one!

18. ^I'm not disagreeing, he/she just came in on the offensive about TKD as if I was saying "TKD is the best and all other sports are shit". The question was. Are you into Martial Arts and how did you get into it?

Just seemed a bit like a bull in a china shop with a bee up is ass cus I mention TKD and I was a bit like WOAH TIGER! (or bull).

The more competive sections of TKD is the WTF part which is in the olympics. I do the ITF which steers more to the traditional sense of it all. I beleive WTF is more North American and ITF is more European. I could split it all down to why but I won't. I've actually got my first grading tomorrow :)

19. Right on...IMO there is no "best" martial art, but there are martial artists that are better than others.

20. Good luck tomorrow!