Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone in the military who smokes?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Anthony112, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Just wondering, because the military is so uptight about there drug policies and such I was wondering if anyone here smokes weed and is in the military?, doesnt matter what branch

2. I used to when I was in....WAS in. I got popped on a random, it was a stupid decision on my part knowing they do random whiz quizes. Oh well, now I work with the Military as a contractor making twice the $ with no fear of randoms.

3. I've always wondered this too...

4. So you pissed hot, but your a military contractor how did yo pull that off?

5. One of my managers just came back from Iraq and he smokes with us, I thought he would be all uptight about it since he was in the military, but allegedly everyone smokes that used to be in the military. Shit they need to make mj legal for soldiers, after all they've done for us hell yea they should be able to boke a smowl

6. #7 Waverider420, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    I went on a very long T-Break when I was in the military and never smoked or wanted to smoke the entire time in service. Since, unlike the legalization law, I understand why soldiers should never smoke, especially active duty, when you might have to train/deploy in a moments notice and need 100% coordination/focus on a job.

I do know that while I was in alot of people smoked and would get popped due to random testing and since in a tight group such as a platoon in the Army you can figure out who is uncomfortable when a drug test is first mentioned. There is also a large problem with coke and prescription drug abuse as well and of course its harder to crack down on the harder and dangerous drugs due to how short they are traceable in the system.

Bottom line: Do NOT smoke while your in service. Unlike the legalization law, which we never had any say on it, volunteering for the military you SWEAR that you will not smoke/use mind/mood-altering drugs. The same rule will also probably be maintained if cannabis is ever legalized so don't think if the government rules it OKAY to possess and smoke the military will not allow it.

7. #8 Herb., Apr 5, 2010
    It actually isn't that big of an issue, Waverider. My father was caught smoking in the military and, like anyone else caught using, under-the-influence of, or bodily containing marijuana, was given an honorable discharge. What does this mean? It means that no one but high government and military officials can see the honorable discharge under the cause of marijuana. No employer, law enforcement, back-ground check, or any one but the above listed can see this. The honorable discharge is an equivalent to the honorable discharge given to wounded soldiers so that they may go home. I'd say go for it and be smart so that you do not get caught.

Actually you're wrong. Urinating 'hot' for marijuana is an honorable discharge. This is obviously why my father and anyone else who comes up 'hot' for marijuana gets it.

8. That's good that your father got out with an honorable discharge; but for pissing hot, no matter what drug, is a dishonorable discharge since it breaks the oath that was a soldier, sailor, airman, and marines swear to uphold. There are going to be cases where someone might get an honorable or forced to retire; but that is normally for people in a higher position such as an officer or senior enlisted (since to remove rank or to discharge takes like an act or congress and the 9th rising of christ to do it).

In addition you might not get discharged but have to go to drug counceling and can be charged to you as well as military prison time. Good news is you get to stay in the bad news is you have a black mark follw you around.

9. #1. You referencing your father getting busted kind of shows the timeframe, and I can assure you that getting busted today isn't anything like getting busted 20 years ago. Believe me, I've seen guys with over a decade in the service and a perfect record piss hot one time and get kicked out in less than 30 days with no benefits to further prove the zero tolerance policy. There may be a lot of things the Military is inefficient at, but this process isn't one of them.

#2. Yes, you will likely end up with an honorable discharge(not guaranteed though), but that doesn't really excuse that fact that you've just been fired from a job. It's even worse when you consider you're not exactly going to walk away from the Military with 401K retirement funds. You just kissed goodbye a career with a lifetime retirement check. A true "pension" is becoming harder and harder to find these days, and there's a reason for it.

#3. Doesn't really matter what kind of discharge you got when you have a hell of a time finding a job in this market, and sometimes that job search is almost impossible when you had a job like "bomber weapons maintenance" or something very military-centric that doesn't even have an application in the civilian sector.

If you're gonna join the military and want to make a career out of it at all, don't smoke. Ever.

10. #11 Herb., Apr 5, 2010
    He didn't want any of that. He wanted out already and found a way to get out while doing something he likes and having no negative downfall.

I love how you're just assuming my father's date of enlisting. There has been no change in era since he was in the military so that point is invalid. And no, he did not want a pension, he wanted out. They don't have re-enlisting everyday so obviously smoking would get him out sooner. He knew that is was an honorable discharge and that no "kept him in the military and punished him" would happen.

11. :confused: He didn't want a pension? So he smoked to get out of the military instead of just no re-enlisting? That was his exit strategy? And if they gave him a dishonorable or kept him in the military and punished him what was his next plan? Do not mean to bash or question: but this is why you don't smoke when you volunteer for the military.

And to piggyback on TokenITguy:

Yeah if this is your father and we're talking military of 20 years ago its a big difference in that the military is to be considered operating in a war and the policies are different. Being in service in say during the cold war era or possibly the first gulf war is as different as the current situation being compared to Vietnam or WWI or II.

12. Its simple, when busted I didnt lie about it and apologized profusely. I put on a good show. When interviewed for my contractor clearance I openly admitted it because INVESTIGATORS CAN SEE WHY YOU WERE DISCHARGED. They asked me the standard questions..why, how many times, did you deal etc.
    They were satisfied I was not a risk and gave me clearance for my job.

The whole process sucked and was humiliating...it happened in 2006 btw.

13. It also depends on which branch you're in. While I was Air Force, anyone pissing hot was OUT. I had a friend in the Army piss hot, and he just got an Article 15 and lost a stripe.

My advice as a vet is DON'T DO IT. I have seen people be "randomly" screened every day for a week, or in my case I got one every two weeks for almost six months.

Not worth it.

14. Agreed, I too was in the Air Force. This incident ended a 12 year career all because I like to party. I recieved an article 92(?) for failure to obey an order, mainly thier drug policy and an honorable discharge so I still recieve VA compensation for injuries obtained while fighting for oil ;)

Of course now that I'm out and this is in the past I have a good job and party when I want to. I made a mistake but handled myself well so I have no real regrets as other doors were opened once I was a "free agent" so to speak.

15. Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

16. Yep. When i was in school i smoked pretty much everyday it was straight as hell

17. A buddy of mine in the USMC smokes JWH-018 now instead of weed. You cannont smoke while you're doing your service I know that,but if you're out for good,they won't test you.

18. Yeah, I would say don't risk it. I'm sure if you don't have anything else negative on your record, you'll probably get an honorable discharge, but I don't know. I know that to get out of the Navy, my uncle lit up a joint in front of his commanding officer and he was let go with an honorable discharge (20 years ago), but I don't really know the rules today. I know it's probably not a good idea to risk it, though. MJ is still highly illegal at the federal level, which means it's highly illegal for an employee of the federal govt, regardless of your state laws. It's just not an informed or well-thought out decision, IMO.

19. #20 overgrowray, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
    yea i know a few ppl. but they all tried not to smoke often while they were active.

one of my old dealers, he hustled a few lbs a week for 7-8 yrs straight. he got tired of it one day and signed up. he smokes like crazy every time hes on leave for the first few days, then he goes to doin coke the rest of the time till he goes back to work.

edit: oh yea, everyone i know thats signed up for one thing or another drinks like a fish. the one dude i knows goes out drinking and driving all the time, he really doesn't care. he just says "i'll show them my military ID". its really sad but true, i was with him once, he shown the ID, and we were let go... heh its so stupid, he shouldn't of been walking non the less driving. (oh why was i in the car? because i was in one of my depressed points in life where i wanted to die)

so yea you can drink and put yourself and others in harm. but be careful with hitting that joint.