Anyone here done telemarketing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, Sep 6, 2010.

1. I've done telemarketing for a few days as a test run for a startup and they want me to manage a room full of about 5-12 people. I'm supposed to train them and make sure they are on task. Does anyone who's done some telemarketing have any tips on training and the overall process?

I know I do not have a whole lot of experience and this is my first managing gig, I kind of fell into it to be honest.

2. I've been working (just quit to focus on class... first time I've been jobless since I was 15) for a tour company and I was on the sales floor. The sales associates had to make call after call (cold calls) and get teachers to book tours for their schools. I was mostly in customer service but actually did this for a week or so to help with a big list of leads.

I don't have tons of experience to help, but I learned a lot on that sales floor about how a business works, and here's how they did it:

1. Train them on the product
    2. Train them on the software
    3. INCENTIVES/CONTESTS

Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, will boost your performance like incentives. I was involved in a short side project with operations (it was my co-op, and my manager liked to get me involved in all departments if she could) where we analyzed the direct impact of particular incentives, and the results were staggering.

Anyways, like I said, I can't give you a ton, but I hope this helps if you didn't already know...

3. Tell them to call around dinner time, thats when everyone is buying :p

4. Will Smith didnt take bathroom breaks and never hung up his phone in the Pursuit of Happiness

Look at him now...

5. Oh I should mention we are just getting leads for another company, not selling anything. The hardest thing I had to do in my test run so far was get people's medicare #.

And there is no cold calling we have an autodialer that calls everyone that we are looking for.