Anyone have a diy on fan dimmer

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 420lover, Dec 26, 2007.

1. SO can anyone explain to me how to set this up. I bought a dimmer the other day, and it has 3 wires coming off it, 2 black and a green and my fan only has 2, white and red. I suck when it comes to electrical stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching around and couldnt find anything. We should make a diy thread that has all this stuff in it. Thanks in advance guys

2. Is it a single pole dimmer? Also, you're gonna have to split some fan wires...does this scare you?

3. doesnt scare me till I have to plug it in. Yes it is a single pole dimmer.

4. Ok, I'm going to assume that you're using a smaller fan, possibly even a PC fan? If so, do you have access a PC power supply? It's super easy to set this up, just need the right hardware.

5. well it is a bigger computer fan a dayton 105cfm. right now i have it hard wired to an extension cord, i just need to slow the fan down a bit so it will stay a little warmer, and get a little more humidity. I dont have acess to a computer power source. I guess the problem I am having is that my fan and power cord only have 2 wires coming from them, no ground and the dimmer has 3.someone said to put a ground off the fan but the casing is all hard plastic, no metal.

6. The 2 black are so the single pole can disrupt or "dim" the power. The green = ground.

Get some wire ties, caps. Pick a side, and spin one black around each wire on the extension cord. Test. If she dims, tie, cap, and tape. You're done.

I would suggest an individual tape @ the joint and an overall cover for the area. You do NOT want those wire to cross touch.

Any questions...let me know. I wired my condo with recessed lighting, I'm ok with this kinda stuff. ;)

7. oh cool thank you very much. I will give it a try and hope I dont burn anything down...lol, thats not really funny though. I will let ya know thanks again

8. well it works. Doesnt seem to be to adjustable, but better than it was thanks again

9. Depends on how old the fan is...some won't dim/adjust.

Enjoy.