Anyone have a CDL?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChiefTHC, Feb 13, 2014.

1. A commercial drivers license is what I mean. I'm thinking about getting one Class B and I already picked up the book and started reading it, I saw they have to have a medical exam? Assuming that's to make sure you're safe enough to drive. Just wondering if that would mean drug test?

2. #2 gentleman, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Yea the physical is pretty much to check your heart and overall condition to make sure you're fit to withstand long trips. I think most major trucking companies give you an annual or bi-annual physical. And If you work for a major company, you'll be randomly drug tested. You could be driving on your way to pick up a load and they will dispatch you and tell you to go to the nearest facility to get tested. My friend works for Swift and that's how they do it. He said if you think you won't pass when they dispatch you, just quit on the spot. At least then you will be able to get a job with another trucking company. If you fail a drug test, you will probably never truck for a major company again.

4. When you roll up to some scale houses they can piss test you there, inspect your breaks and stuff.

5. They do which is why drivers do drugs that stay in the system for a short time.

6. As long as there is nothing seriously wrong, the physical is a walk in the park. Pretty basic - eye chart, can you tell me what color this is, take a deep breath, take another deep breath, can you reach like this, does this hurt, does that hurt, reflexes, what medications and any history of ....yada, yada, yada......

Drug testing is random and law. A dirty test will keep you from getting hired. But for "many" companies, if you're working and your number comes up you simply won't drive until you can pass, how long they'll wait depends on how much they like you and how bad they need you to work.
    The places I've worked sent me to a facility to get tested where they make you empty your pockets and take a cup into the restroom alone.
    Only a parole officer has ever actually watched my junk while giving up a donation.

7. Thanks for the help guys, my boss at work thinks I should get it and so does some of my family but I'm starting to reconsider now.

8. If your going to stop smoking then get it... If not then don't. I haven't smoked in 4 years, all I do is drink lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app