Anyone else literally weigh their bucket before and after?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sanez, Feb 20, 2018.

1. #1 Sanez, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    This is my second grow, in soil, and I've been finding it difficult to know when I'm overwatering or underwatering.

Everyone swears by the "lift the pot" method, where you lift the pot, and if it "feels light", then you water. Sounds simple enough, but how light is light? Anyone actually use a scale?

For me, it's around 32 lbs before watering and 40 lbs after watering and letting it fully drain. So I am watering every time it loses 20% of its weight, and using roughly 4L of water each time (roughly 8 pounds of weight after the run off).

It likely matters that I'm growing with 30% perlite in a 5 gallon bucket of ProMix. This is at the peak of flowering, with 3 days in between waterings.

Anyone else have actual numbers? Cheers!

2. Hey, light should feel like it's really light like it shouldn't be that light. Same container same medium I was giving 4 liters of water every 2 or 3 days.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. I always feed every day. I've grown in promix/perlite. Finished in both 5 and 7 gallon pots. I use smart pots. My 5 gallon promix plants eat about 1/2 gallon a day and they are pretty much bone dry the next day. My 7 gallon plants have eaten up to 1 gallon a day.

There's absolutely no way I could ever go 3 days without feeding my blooming plants. They would be almost dead. Occasionally I've skipped a single day because I'm tired or lazy or drunk. Without fail they look completely sad the next day drooping all over. It took another day to recover them from simply not feeding for one day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. In the height of flower it was every other day and near the end they wouldn't drink as much. I'm actually at that stage in my current grow, almost ready to harvest, checking trichomes almost daily now, and they get water every other day or 3 days. For sure they are not dead lol.

5. 4L is about 1 gallon so that might explain the difference in watering between you two (double the water = half the frequency; assuming not much is running off)?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Can you water small amounts every day even if you aren't using smart pots? I think the roots wouldn't get enough oxygen?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I'll get a little bit of runoff in a 7 gallon pot with a gallon of feed but it dries up within a day. I grow large plants so maybe that's the difference. I'll do 2-4 in my 4x4 flower area and fill it wall to wall.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I grow in coco so I don’t have to worry bout all that just dump a half a gallon n the pot 2x a day n walk away

• Like Like x 1
  9. Promix will tolerate more drying out then coco so I only water once a day.

10. I water till a little runoff. I also grow decent size plants lol. It's ok, the more information we share the better we will all be at growing.